Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cruising down I-10 in moderate traffic today. I was traveling at an indicated 75mph. I-10 is 3 lanes wide where I was. To my right was a passenger car I was slowly passing. To my left was a pretty steady stream of faster moving traffic. I had a good bit of distance between me and the next vehicle to my rear. About 3 seconds ahead of me was a gold Toyota Camry. BRAKE LIGHTS!!! Why the he?? is he on his brakes in the middle of the interstate? I roll off the gas. This happens in an instant. Next thing I see is a 2 foot long by 8 inch wide chunk of semi retread spitting out from underneath the Camry. It starts bouncing unpredictably. I have one lane to work with so I press the left handlebar to get a real quick smooth swerve and the chunk of rubber passes harmlessly to my right.

I did some things right, and I did some things wrong. I did not take immediate action when I saw the brakelights. So I quickly went from about 3 seconds back to less than two seconds. I cheated myself out of precious reaction time. In the end I was lucky. That chunk of rubber, if airborn, could have literally decapitaed me. Had I hit it with the small scooter tires, it could have easily upset the balance of the bike enough to have caused an accident.

I like to think that one of the things I did right was my in lane swerve. When I travel empty rural highways, I'll practice this with spots on the road, asphalt patches etc. I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I am gaining competence and confidence. It is rare indeed that I don't ask God's blessings on my safety when I venture out on the bike. It is equally rare that I don't thank God for the blessing that biking is to me.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Guess that's why they spent so much time teaching us to swerve in the safety course! :)

Glad to hear you're OK Paul.

Could have been a sticky wicket!

So what should your reaction have been?
Brakes first, then no brakes, and then swerve?

·
Registered
969 Posts
You didn't fall, nor, from the reading of it, did you cause anyone else any nasties. No need to berate yourself. It's how we learn. Good job! 8)

Steve

Gear up!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Paul, you are lucky. As you now know, always, always, always keep your distance. I read about a guy who ran over a ladder :shock: on his Silverwing because he was so close to the car in front that he didn't see it!

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
A chunk of wood "hit" me today. It was a small piece knocked up by the car in front of me. There is all sortsa construction debris all over the the road here since the tempest.

It went "skiffing" off my lower helmet part. Speed was an indicated ~50ish and traffic was relatively heavy. I was boxed in and in the slow lane (and I was content with my spacing.)

Havent looked at my helmet yet....been too busy.

Sounds to me you did all that you could. Good thing you didn't hit that discarded recap road trash.

pete

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I'll do you one better. I had come up an on ramp one time and was merging onto the Interstate. I then saw a full size livingroom sofa sitting across my lane a short distance ahead. :shock: I did get around it OK.

Stuff happens. You have to be alert. Whenever possible I try not to follow vehicles that block my view. When you have to follow, adequate following distance is the best bet. I know exactly how you were thinking when that car braked. It could be that the driver was gabbing on a cell phone and forgot where they were and what they were doing. But maybe not...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts