Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

Haven't posted in a while because, well, okay..... at the tender age of 52 (and in great shape) I had 2 strokes.

This left me with an awful decision to make regarding my Blue Dolphin. Selling it seemed too depressing, so I figured a way to still ride safely...the Voyager Trike kit!!

What a hoot!! The trike set-up is soo much fun and just so darned easy! It looks awesome and I love to show it to you, but can't figure out how to post the pics.

Anyone thinking of going the Voyager route, I say do it! It can convert back to 2 wheels in a few minutes if I feel like it later.

I just can't seem to stay off this cutie-- I am riding now more than ever and in much more wind with no problems.

So, everyone ride safe, but go ride and ride and ride!
Erika

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Ya know what Erika - thats just a darn nice Major Changes story. Thank you for that share, and good on ya! :) :) :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hey buddie,

Do whatever it takes and you have a great attitude. I would be doing the same if I were in the same situation. Enjoy it and thanks for the story.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your health troubles, but elated to hear that you not only overcame them, but got your ride fixed up to suit your new needs. That's great!

Thank you for sharing your inspirational idea, I loved hearing about it. As Pete said above, Erika, good on ya, mate!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Glad to hear you haven't given up. I have a brother who at 45ish had a mild stroke. He's now under the close watch and care of a fine physician and in much better shape. So strokes can happen at any age. Just take care of yourself.

There's a song I've heard recently.... something like \
"what do you do when the doctor tells you you have one year to live?
Go sky diving. Go race driving.
Go glider flying. Live like you're dying."
It encourages everyone to start living their lives like that. Why stop having fun when the fun you have may be the last thing you do?

So hurray for you!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wa-Hoo!!! I managed to get a few photos in the gallery!

Thanks all for your kind encouragement. 4D- the title of the song is "Live Like You Were Dying" and thanks for reminding me. It's funny, in the ambulance I knew I was going down fast and was not sure I would make to to the ER and the only thing I could think was "Gheez, this is really going to tick me off". Good thing I'm stubborn!

If it happens again, I want to go on my trike instead. ;-)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
That looks so much better than the TowPac kit! The large wheels get away from the "training wheel" look of the TowPac. I like it. Thanks for the pics - I had not seen this product before.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
If I may be so rude as to ask, how much did that set you back & where did you get it, please?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No problem Wyldman. That is why we are all here to help and to exchange information. The kit is from http://www.mtcvoyager.com/ It lists for $4095.00. They claim that if you have enough mechanical ability to remove your rear wheel, you can install it yourself. After seeing the setup, I would think that is true. I, however, don't have that much and my friends in my riding club did not want to tackle this. We have a Voyager dealer in town so I had it professionally installed with custom pain for 5,000. (The luggage and thngs were on my bike since I bought it). The kit is $$$ but still a lot less than the standard 3 wheel conversion would be.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Sorry to hear of your Health issues Erika. I hope you have a full recovery. Your bike looks awesome. I like that particular conversion. I think it would look great with a set of custom rims as well.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Erika,
Nice looking qurike! :D The Voyager kit looks like a good way to keep in the game. We especially liked the Lazy Rider on the rack. We have used them for many years on our cruisers - It looks a little far back for comfortable leaning however :wink:

Good on you for pulling through. May the Lord continue to bless you as you travel these roads.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks all!

Seatec - Hope you are feeling better soon You could run your bike to 60mph and open your face shield! Kind of like a positive pressure ventilator but way more fun! :p

McQ- "qurike" is right! The Biker's Friend bag comes with a great back rest--I just don't have it on in the photo. They are good bags though.

Allwalk-- What a cool idea! Just a lot more $$$$ though.

vdfcaptain-- I was thinking of contacting them. Great minds think alike!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Thanks for 411, Erika. It really does look good, how does it feel to ride it? Obviously the leaning in the turns is history, but I'm curious about general handling & stability. Did it slow down your 650 at all? Has it affected your mileage?

I know, I know, I'm just full of questions today...

·
Registered
611 Posts
Nice ride Erika. :)

Do your soft saddlebags clip onto the ledge under the seat - or do they span across the trunk area? I had a nice set of soft saddlebags and couple of magnetic tankbags that I used with my last bike - but got rid of them when I traded for the Burgman (too wide of a span for the saddlebags, and no tank to hold the tank bags). I've now seen people add metal strips to the hump to mount magnetic tank bags - and I really kick myself for getting rid of mine. I also wish I'd have modified the saddlebags and kept them. :(

P.S. It's easy to go through life and be roadblocked by things that are out of our control. Finding a way to continue riding, rather than just giving up - shows a lot of spirit. I admire you for that. :wink:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Erika, as you may or may not know, I'm new to this forum and at 48, a relative newbie. It's nice to hear you sticking with your ride and I sincerely hope that you work through your health issues.

We're here for you!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts