Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

First, before I ask my question, thanks to those who answered my other newbie questions earlier.

Here's my question: What is involved in maintaining a burgman 650? I'm used to cars, having to worry about oil changes, air/oil filters, tires, belts, etc. What is involved in caring for my burgman? Also, are there things that it's just better to have a Suzuki shop take care of? Or can/should I take care of this stuff at home?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Maintenance of your 650 is a lot like on a car. Mostly fluids and filters. There are a few other things like checking fasteners to ensure they are tight. Your owners manual has a maintenance schedule in it that details what you need to do. About the only thing that we have found that needs doing that is not covered in the maintenance schedule is to pull the CVT stopper bolt out occasionally and check it's condition.

As for doing it yourself. That depends on you and how confident you feel with you abilities. I do all the work on my bikes, both scheduled maintenance and other things that come up. The only time I will take it to the shop is if it involves a tool I don't have that would cost more than it is worth to buy. Very few things fall into that category.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Have you consulted the oracle? Le Dude.

He has made a progidous effort in documenting maintenance, repair and farkling a Burgman 650.

I am an experienced wrencher have had a Burgman for yonks and do all my own maintenance BUT I still take my iPad to the garage when I am working on the Burgman. It is a useful reference and aide memoir.

LINK

Bookmark le Dude's site - but more important have a jolly good read. You could start on this page: maintenance schedule

Have fun.:)

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I am not an experienced wrencher, but I am learning. Over the last month my Burgman has been stripped down to nothing(almost) and being put back together again. All made possible by the assistance of Tech Art Guy. Sunday evening we changed all the fluids (oil, transmission, final drive). He watched and pointed as I performed the job. Now I feel pretty confident in that part. Also, in the Knowledge Base, there are links to a few websites with the parts listed. I have been checking this out to see what screw goes where. Give it a shot. With members like Buffalo, Norman, MJR, and others you can't go wrong. Just call the dealership and ask about the price of a service then think of the price of reading about it on the forum. This site is priceless in terms of knowledge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to you all, especially NormanB (for linking to LeDude's site).

You're right, his site has just the sort of details I'd want to look at. I'll start looking through his site and see where I end up.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Yeah it sounds a bit mad, but it sits safely in the trunk until I need it - I leave the seat up and in the meanwhile it plays tunes for me. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts