Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to take a survey to see how many people perform scheduled maintenance based on mileage and how many do it based on time. For example, according to the maintenance chart the first scheduled maintenance is at 600 miles or 2 months. I know it's supposed to be whichever comes first, but this seems a little premature if your bike is sitting in the garage for the majority of those two months. For things like engine coolant and brake fluid they only give a time interval, as these components brake down over time. But the last time I checked oil doesn't have an expiration date. How many of you follow the recommendation of whichever comes first when it comes to engine oil, final drive oil, air filter, spark plug, etc? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
That is up to you. But with the number of miles you have ridden in about 2 months - It may be a year before you NEED to have the oils & filter changed!!

The important thing to keep in mind is with a new scooter - there may be metal in the oil as a result of the motor break-in process with all of the moving parts mating to one another! Also - at my first service - the tech re-torqued almost all bolts, as well.

Consider the oil that you now have in the engine as "break-in oil" But with as few miles as you have ridden since you purchased it - I would also change the oil & filter in another 2 months...! After that - You can set the "oil change reminder" on the dash to whatever you want.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Motor oil, in the original sealed container, has a two to five year shelf life. Each manufacturer specifies it according to their own parameters, check with the maker of your oil. However once it is installed in an engine and used even a little bit a clock starts ticking, and the anti-wear and anti-corrosion additives start to break down. This is largely due to combustion by-products trapped in the oil. Short trips that never get the oil REALLY hot exacerbate this breakdown.

Coolant should be changed every three to five years, the big issue being breakdown of corrosion inhibitors and ionization of the coolant as the metals it contacts dissolve into the fluid. At a point electrolytic corrosion can become as issue as there are often dissimilar metals in common contact with the coolant.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
I went by mileage to keep the warranty in effect. The warranty mileage was exceeded before the first year of ownership was reached.

At this point I'm up in the air on whether to change the oil every 3500 or 5000 miles. I'm using Delo 400 full synthetic oil, so I'll probably go with 5000 miles. Coolant and brake fluid, I'm up in the air on. Sometime along the next 80,000 miles, I'll have a good reason to change each. But I don't worry strictly about time on those.

Chris

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I change my oil every 3000 miles with the filter every other oil change, final drive oil every 6000, clean out and re-lube CVT every 6000, clean air filter every 6000, changed the Antifreeze at 15000 along with flushing front and rear brake lines and putting in new DOT 4. Checked valve clearances at 23000 and found them to be within spec will check again at 30000. I think that's it, I may have forgotten something (CRS).

·
Registered
338 Posts
I use time and miles. Oil either 2,000 miles or 60 days whichever comes first, my case always miles, filter every other oil change, new bike change soon! Valves on present Burgman, maybe at 30,000. Drive belt=critical, as walking sucks, this bike has passed the 14,500 miles change----trying for 20,000---carry spare belt/tools to make change---I feel drive belt weak link...speaking now from over 250,000 rubber band drive scooter miles.
Like to run tires down to wear bars------now important part do own work,bike shops tend to by-pass many items....but still can charge a lot
My take on oil/changes---- only 1200cc oil capacity----engine runs7-8000 rpm for extended periods----so it works hard.....and the oil, too. I tend to use cheap oil----often wonder on Suzuki requirement for MA spec.....as engine does not have wet clutch or transmission using same oil supply....maybe done to get you to buy overpriced Suzuki oil. Because of poor design, I will not change rear end oil until belt change time----doubt if many dealers do this as routine service either. MA spec should/could do its thing in rear end...gears and things. Further for scooters that are no ridden a lot---still get oil out often. And then funny thing, don't worry....most will not ride enough to wear bike out.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
InfernoST said:
I change my oil every 3000 miles with the filter every other oil change, final drive oil every 6000, clean out and re-lube CVT every 6000, clean air filter every 6000, changed the Antifreeze at 15000 along with flushing front and rear brake lines and putting in new DOT 4. Checked valve clearances at 23000 and found them to be within spec will check again at 30000. I think that's it, I may have forgotten something (CRS).
Pretty much my pattern, however I use a 2500 mile interval for the engine oil and 5k for the filter and final drive. Did the rest when I got it in May of 2011 with 12.3k miles, coming up on time to do it again...

·
Premium Member
14,226 Posts
I do mine by mileage, but then if I did them by time I would be over the mileage by a multiple of 2 or 3 :lol: .

·
Registered
239 Posts
Mileage....in my truck..every two years right before I get smog checked since I haven't exceeded 4 or 5k in that period of time, I just feel I should change it~! It's funny someone one on the Stromtrooper forum asked if you have oil in a container sitting around does it go bad..and the answer was..it takes millions of years to make..now some say much less but it's still around 5,000 years..so I really don't think a little time in your engine or the bottle is going to hurt anything.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
RandyT said:
Mileage....in my truck..every two years right before I get smog checked since I haven't exceeded 4 or 5k in that period of time, I just feel I should change it~! It's funny someone one on the Stromtrooper forum asked if you have oil in a container sitting around does it go bad..and the answer was..it takes millions of years to make..now some say much less but it's still around 5,000 years..so I really don't think a little time in your engine or the bottle is going to hurt anything.
+5................. :thumbup: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
With every bike I have ever owned I stick with the manufacturers recommendations for both time and mieage. It's the best way if you want to be safe and reliable too. The only thing I do that isn't recommended, is to give the bike an extra oil change at around 2000 miles from new, that is after the 600 initial service ( I always break in using the book method). That extra change isn't needed, but it makes me feel better. And I'm an ex-tech and should know better! :lol: There is a case to be made that says I shouldn't do that extra change. You want the oil to break down a little in that first 4,000 miles to help finish the break in, but what the heck! For the rest of the bikes life it only ever gets an oil change at the recommended intervals. All my bikes have lived long and prospered with sometimes 150,000 miles going on them without any spannering needed. If I'd given the engines extra oil changes it would have made no difference whatsoever except I would have given loads of money to the oil companies. But changing the oil often does make us feel better, I know.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of the responses. I've learned a lot. I think I'll stick to the manufacturer's guide and do whichever comes first. Either way I'll have a long time between services. This is strictly a recreational vehicle. I don't ride to work or for transportation in general. My Burgie is strictly for fun, and boy am I having lots of it. :D :lol: :thumbleft:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Very interesting especially about the coolant. I change oil and 4000, filter every time, final drive at 8000, belt lasted 20000. The bike is two and a half years old now so I guess I should do the coolant. The brake fluid on the other hand, I do not brake hard, I like to ride smoothly anticipating the road and avoid braking at all much of the time so the fluid has never got hot. So how often should I change the brake fluid?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Andy, the brake fluid change is not quite so critical now with the onset of fully synthetic fluids. There is a small amount of leaway as to when you change it but if the bike is under warranty, you should follow the book on this. Suzi still recommends changing it every two years. Thsi applies even if you don't ride it. The reason for this is that brake fluid is 'hydroscopic'. It absorbs water/vapour and becomes less effective under extreme load and temperature with the water in it. In reality this causes corrosion too. But like I say, fully synthetic fluids don't absorb water as much as the old type dino fluids so it's not quite so critical to change so often when out of warranty. I've not noticed any problems with bikes or cars if the fluid hasn't been changed always at the manufacturers recommended time limits if synthetic fluid is being used. Now, dino fluid is different and we used to see corrosion damage all the time if it was left in for too long. In 'Urop' new cars always used to have the brake fluid changed every two years. Now, it's every 3 year to start with and then every two.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I always change my oil at - Hey!!!!!! Anyone know what year this is.???????? :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thanks Quantum Mechanic. I will leave the brake fluid for a while, I do have never broken the seal on the brake fluid so this reduces the chances of water being absorbed. On the subject or coolant, I have a Peugeot 308 petrol car and the service schedule on that now says that the coolant never needs changing, just checking. What type of antifreeze should I use in a Burgman, can I use the same stuff that the peugeot uses?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts