Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My new to me 2013 Burgman 400 won't be here until tomorrow.
Never seen one in the flesh.
I am assuming the owner's manual will tell me about proper break-in technique, and service intervals.
Meanwhile - Cannot find answer to this specific point: What is the specified interval for valve lash inspection?
What happens at 600 miles? ...this is usually the first check-up interval for scooters.
(did my own servicing on my Kymco LIKE200i (piece of cake to work on!) and my 2014 FORZA (less cake!) and plan to do the servicing on the Burgman)
Thanks much, Stig

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
2013 and its a brand new bike?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
"My new to me 2013 Burgman 400"

to me that looks like it is used
'
Yes, but questions about break-in period and what happens at 600 miles had me confused. Hence my question.

More details please.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Hello stig, welcome to the site. If your bike is not broken in yet or had it's first service then of course get that done promptly. If it's used, then it's over due. The valve clearances do not have to be checked at 600 miles. The first check on the valves is at 14,500 miles. There is very little to do on them overall. Do read your owners manual, especially the bit about checking the oil level. Do EXACT as they say in the OWNERS MANUAL when doing this, it's the safest way. Don't be pulled off course by folks saying to do it differently. Don't do it any other way especially if you are new to the Burgmans. Other than that, just enjoy the bike. They are not only one of the most useful practical tools you can buy, but they are a very fun bike that will last you for years and years. Post often bud!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, 0 miles 2013, left over stock is very common with scooters--- at least in Ohio.
Thanks much for sharing the info regarding the valve adjustment! I plan to do my own servicing, but was hoping not to have to tackle that so soon! :)
I typically do more frequent oil changes than required....much more often! Fun and bonds me with my scooters!
Will spend the day looking over this scooter and reading owner's manual..service manual was ordered yesterday, will order consumable spare parts asap.
Thanks for rhe the friendly welcome!
Stig

·
Registered
244 Posts
Left over stock is very common in Ohio........and in San Diego Ca also. I just got my new 2014 last month from a very large m/c dealer here. Now all he has in scooters are a Honda 150 and a 300. Sport bikes are his big sellers now.

Scooter sales are slumping all over? I do see many low priced Chinese scooters around town now. Maybe we are seeing the era of throw-away scooters, no maintenance required !!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Stig, ~ pity you ordered the service manual, the 2013 is likely to be similar to the 07> models (except for the linked braking system... I found the full Suzuki shop manual on line - and free, only because the print date was noted as 2006 (I thought I was missing something) I ordered the manual direct from my Suzuki dealer at £50.00.

Can you imagine my horror when I got the manual, looked at the print date and saw 2006, I checked the manual's reference # and found it to be the same! So I paid out money for nothing.

Jim

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hello Stig and Welcome to BurgmanUSA

By the time you read this you should have you're New Burgman home.

I think you'll love it.

Take Care

Doc

·
Registered
123 Posts
Welcome Stig, I bought a brand new 2013 400 this last spring and have been enjoying it a lot. I used to have a Kymco Grand Vista, I really like my Burgman better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts