Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm doing some maintenance. 2013 Burgman 650 ABS. Have a couple questions...

1. I can get to both plugs and can get the wires disconnected from the coils. How in the heck do you get the coils off the plugs? I pulled every way from Sunday to get those things off and all I could get them to do is turn a little bit. What's the secret?

2. What's the secret to getting the right side lower leg shield off (below the driver foot rest)? Pulled all the screws as the manual says but cannot get that thing off. I think part of this question is how do you get those little fasteners out (they look like the push-pin kind but there doesn't seem to be a way to pull the center part back out)?

On the good side, I replaced the stock horn with a much louder after-market car horn (did the same with my last bike). That took all of two minutes.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
The coils just pull off unless they changed something in 2013. Maybe use a long screwdriver gently. I don't know on the 2013 bodywork.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I think part of this question is how do you get those little fasteners out (they look like the push-pin kind but there doesn't seem to be a way to pull the center part back out)?
The center part pushes in to release, but is held captive in the fastener. Use a punch of appropriate diameter, or a small screwdriver if that's what you have handy. You should be able to feel when it's gone in far enough to release the fastener.
To reinstall, push the center part back out so it extends beyond the upper surface (again, you should be able to feel when it's far enough out). Install the fastener, then lock it in place by pushing the center part in so it's flush with the fastener upper surface.

Incidentally, the same type of fasteners are used on the handlebar covers if you want to practice on ones that are easier to reach.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Check that you haven't inadvertently left a screw of push pin friction fastener in situ. The tupperware needs a little flex in different directions sometimes to help loosen things up with some finesse. Unfortunately there's a fine line between enough force, too little and too much. Breakage of the tupperware locking tabs is a fairly normal occurrence, especially if one is not suave or dexterous enough, or holds one tongue in just the right position.

As to the push pin friction fasteners. The centre pushes in slightly. If you use a small width (jewellers) screw driver or similar, you should feel the 'give' as the centre point pushes inward, which is retained. Using a small tipped (jewellers) flat screw driver or similar, slide the tip underneath and round the underside of the top flat 'skirt' of the push pin friction fastener and at the same time bevel (as on a fulcrum) the screw driver tip as you prise the push pin away and out of its fastening location. Once the fastener comes loose it's easy to pull the WHOLE fastener out. You will then appreciate the logic of the locking method of the fastener. Simply push from the underside the centre point, so that it protrudes outward from the top when reinserting into the tupperware etc. There are a couple of other designed locking fasteners which have the mid section already protruding. These therefore look different than the previously mentioned type more common on the Burgman650. The latter fasteners require one to pull the mid section outward to facilitate complete fastener removal.

Hope that description helps...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts