Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the standard maintenance cheaper on the 400 than the 650? I know that many have stated that the initial dealer maintenance was quite steep.

·
Super Moderator
8,061 Posts
maintainance

Having owned both, The 400 cost more for the inital 600 mile because of the tappit adj. but they are easer to adjust (check them more often than the 650), just harder to get at.

I did my own on the 650, because the tappits probally won't need it for 10,000 mil or so, but when it does need it, it will cost more, unless I do it myself, the tappits need to be shimmed, so it is more involved, but easer to get at. All in all the 400 is less complex and should be easer to maintain.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My dealer said the book rate for the 600-mile maintenance on the 400 is 2.4 hours, and the 600-mile maintenance on the 650 is 4.8 hours. At $90 per hour, that's $432 plus a"shop supplies surcharge," parts/fluids, and taxes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Maintinance on 400

Just did the 600 maintinance last week on my 400 and it took me 8+ hours to do it my self, I am glad I did it myself because had one intake valve that was tight so I know for sure things are correct with the engine now and it now runs great and I'm a happy camper. Don't think the dealer is making much on the first 600 mile maintinance if he does everything that has to be done! Don't have to do the valves again untill 7500 miles and the second time will take me less time to take off all the parts and reinstall them, the valves only took 15 min. The 400K3 is a great scooter to ride and I really like it.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
My dealer said the book rate for the 600-mile maintenance on the 400 is 2.4 hours, and the 600-mile maintenance on the 650 is 4.8 hours. At $90 per hour, that's $432 plus a"shop supplies surcharge," parts/fluids, and taxes.
$90/hr! I've been having a hissy fit over the $60/hr I've been paying here. When I first saw that I checked to see if you were from Canada.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
dond, overall maintenance should be a little less on a 400. Less oil, cheaper tires, easier to work on, but you have to replace the drive belt on the 400 but not the 650.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Quite honestly I believe in the long term ownership of either machine will result in pretty comparable costs. The best thing you could do (in my humble opinion) is buy the service manual for the machine you choose and do the simple maintenance yourself (changing Oil and Fluids,plug checks,etc.) I have no idea on tire price difference but with the 400 at 13" tires and the 650 at 15" & 14" tires, wouldn't the 13" tires have to do more work to cover let say 5000 miles or km?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Service Manual

And if there's any info that I could fax anyone....regarding the 650.....I picked up the manual last week.....no, I don't have a workable scanner...so I'd have to fax....just email me!!! If it's feasible, I'd be glad to help!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re: Service Manual

jb4278a said:
And if there's any info that I could fax anyone....regarding the 650.....I picked up the manual last week.....no, I don't have a workable scanner...so I'd have to fax....just email me!!! If it's feasible, I'd be glad to help!!
I wouldn't post about illegal activities here, lest you get prosecuted and/or sued once Suzuki USA catches wind of this. I KNOW Yamaha hires people to scour the net for copyrighted material and pursues offenders, and I wouldn't be surprised if Suzuki/Kawasaki does, as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks...

Daveman....thanks for the tip....simply willing to help....but, if it appears to be illegal....sorry about that!!! For those interested, the manual costs $50 which includes shipping....unless you're good friends with your service manager!! Happy ridin'.
JB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts