Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's how to make a gadget for easily putting your Burgman onto its main-stand (see pictures):

Buy a ‘Monkey-Tail Bolt’ from a hardware store about £7 ($5)

Buy a 2” (50mm) length of 2”(50mm) box-section mild-steel with 4mm wall thickness. (this will probably be available at the welders very cheap - about £2 or less ($1.30))

Use a 1” hole cutter to form the half cut-out, or drill a series of holes and file it out - this is to accommodate the bit of stand leg below the footpad, and to secure the device.

Take to your local friendly welding-shop and have them weld both sides of the Bolt centrally onto the box section note the orientation of the bolt with regard to the cut-out £2 ($1.30)

Saw off bolt excess.

Slip it over the centre-stand pedal and lift the bike onto its centre stand.

Demonstrate it to the wife and let her have a go.

Remove the gadget and hang it on the garage wall or stow under bike seat if you prefer

Grin, have a couple of beers and tell the Burgman world about smart peelbrow in lil' ol' England :D

·
Administrator
20,089 Posts
What is a Monkey tail bolt and what is it used for????

Googled. A gate or garage sliding latch/lock.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Taking it off the center stand

That's pretty clever , I guess you lot are really a nation of tinkerers :D
That is clever however even a 90 pound girl can raise it up on the center stand. How the heck do you get it off!!:confused:

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
How the heck do you get it off!!:confused:
Make sure the bike is on level ground and flick the ignition on to check the bike is in 'AUTO', then:

1) put down the prop-stand, 2) stand behind the bike, 3) hold the two grab-rails, 5) push the bike off the main-stand with your body and gently lean it to the left onto the side-stand.
I can ASSURE you that the bike will not run away from you! It works every time! :D:D

PS: I don't know how they did it, but IMHO that video of little Teresa raising a 650 onto its main-stand is a fake.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's pretty clever , I guess you lot are really a nation of tinkerers :D
TINKERERS? I'll have you know, young man, that the World's Industrial Revolution began in Great Britain! ;)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
The problem with peelbrow's method of getting the scoot off the center stand is what happens when the scoot leans over to the left side and the side stand touches the ground and the bike moves forward a bit? Wouldn't that cause the side stand to retract and let the scoot fall over on it's side?

Bill

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The problem with peelbrow's method of getting the scoot off the center stand is what happens when the scoot leans over to the left side and the side stand touches the ground and the bike moves forward a bit? Wouldn't that cause the side stand to retract and let the scoot fall over on it's side?

Bill
If the ground is flat and the handlebars are straight the scooter will simply drop off the main-stand and remain still as long as you are at the back. It won't lean and it most certainly won't run forward as it is in 'AUTO' (if it was in 'MANUAL' there could be a problem, but the bike goes into 'AUTO' at switch-on, so my method is is perfectly safe). I always use it and have never had any mishaps. Also, I switch to 'MANUAL' when I want to move the bike about easily - there is no need to start the engine for this - simply switch the ignition on, press the button to go into 'MANUAL' then switch the ignition off and you will find it is VERY easy to move the bike about. (The bike will automatically switch to 'AUTO' when next you switch the ignition on) :D

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
PS: I don't know how they did it, but IMHO that video of little Teresa raising a 650 onto its main-stand is a fake.
I know the fellow that made that video of his wife putting the 650 on the center stand and it is no fake.

I also know a 65 year old lady that pops her 650 up on the center stand with ease.

It's all in the technique.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Don't use force to loosen a stubborn bolt - use a longer breaker bar / bigger hammer.

Seriously, if you need to use force enhancement to get it on the center stand, you're doing it wrong and will most likely bend and break the stand in short order.

When mine gets to heavy, i lubricate the pivots with chain spray, which improves things a lot.

Sagging rear shocks make it harder, too.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Just stand on it. That's all I do. I guess lift up on the grab rail a bit. Or I have my little sister do it for me. : )

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Main stand mod

I cannot help but notice the scornful and very unhelpful remarks from some of you people out there - I get my little sister to do it/you will break the stand/I know a 65 year old woman who can do it very easily/you need the correct technique & etc. I have had about 40 bikes and never had a main-stand problem until I bought my 650 Burgman. I have always found it very difficult to put my bike onto its main-stand, and I know from this Forum that there are many, many others who have the same problem - either because they are not as strong as they were, or that they do not have a little sister, nor a wife built like a Sumo wrestler. Be that as it may, I have solved my problem and can now put the bike up easily and the sense of accomplishment when I do so is enormous. I stated elsewhere that the main-stand is not designed correctly and I still stand by that. ;););)

·
Registered
280 Posts
I cannot help but notice the scornful and very unhelpful remarks from some of you people out there - I get my little sister to do it/you will break the stand/I know a 65 year old woman who can do it very easily/you need the correct technique & etc. I have had about 40 bikes and never had a main-stand problem until I bought my 650 Burgman. I have always found it very difficult to put my bike onto its main-stand, and I know from this Forum that there are many, many others who have the same problem - either because they are not as strong as they were, or that they do not have a little sister, nor a wife built like a Sumo wrestler. Be that as it may, I have solved my problem and can now put the bike up easily and the sense of accomplishment when I do so is enormous. I stated elsewhere that the main-stand is not designed correctly and I still stand by that. ;););)
Dont worry mate its just an American thing, they are taught in school that they have the solutions for the rest of the world LOL

·
Registered
704 Posts
When I got my '04 several years ago I found it nearly impossible to get it up on it's center stand. I watched the video of the 100lb lady and it made it look so easy. I decided I could either fight it or follow it and decided follow it would be the easiest method. Since I'm a lazy ole fart I decided to follow it and yes, it is that easy. For those who insist it is not, I insist they are just too stubborn to learn because, yes, it is that easy no matter how loud one wants to kick and scream that it is not.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Sorry about the shot, it wasn't meant to hurt.
It is very obvious they're heavy and difficult to get up on the center stand.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry about the shot, it wasn't meant to hurt.
It is very obvious they're heavy and difficult to get up on the center stand.
I wasn't hurt and I'm glad that you acknowledge that the bike is very obviously difficult to raise onto its main-stand. I have now solved my problem in a cheap and very effective way and I hope that others with the same problem will make the gadget and thereby save themselves a lot of frustration caused by a faulty design at Suzuki. :D

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
FWIW - My gen 2 FJR is also a bear to get on the centre (center) stand , the forum I frequent actually accepts its hard, but you still get the unhelpful responses. I can get it on the center stand but its way to much work so I generally don't , and I am looking at your design to see ( at least for the garage) how I can fix it for me , in the gen 3 fjr ( 2013+ model) they seem to have fixed it, but Yamaha redesigned it so they know they got it wrong.
BTW this was one persons solution - similar to yours - http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/152571-center-stand-lifting-aid-original/ and a video http://www.fototime.com/CD75491756B44ED/convx264.mp4

Now my question to the US people is what is the Monkey Tail thing called in the US, I cant find it except on UK sites. Thanks - links would be useful

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I don't know what they are called but you can find them in the gate hardware section at Home Depot or Lowes or hardware stores. It is the pin that the gate latch drops over when you close the gate on a wooden fence.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts