Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One more time for those who have trouble, like me, finding the previous post, w/color pix, on this subject of the replacement key and the magnets how-to.

My eBay keys from Asia came with a red & brass key, 3 magnets and the cover sticker.

Place the OEM key and the new key next to each other - oriented properly.
Set the magnets on top the 3 buried magnets in the OEM key - they fairly jump into place there.

Now move them to the new key and push them in one at a time - without flipping them over - magic marker marked mine before moving them to the new key in case I dropped it.

Firm push into the new key to seat them.
Put on the sticker cover.

Do NOT close the key hole cover if you do not have the OEM key - if you do, then try your new keys.
Both of mine worked fine. (key hole cover, seat opener, ignition all worked fine)
Stig

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the post. I put one together a few weeks ago using your previous posted notes. Worked great! The key cutter did not charge me to cut the key. He had never seen one like it before.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks for the Info. And how do you pair/code them to the bike ignition system? In my pre-2007 you must pair the new key to the bike, and only suzuki can do that.

·
Premium Member
14,207 Posts
Thanks for the Info. And how do you pair/code them to the bike ignition system? In my pre-2007 you must pair the new key to the bike, and only suzuki can do that.
In the USA we do not have the immobilizer and embedded chip that you have in Europe so we don't have to pair/code them.

·
Super Moderator
2,288 Posts
Nicely done Stig. Someone should make a sticky of one of these threads.

Like the red head on yours. I didn't see those when I was looking a couple years ago.

·
Registered
349 Posts
hashtag me too. Easy to find on ebay, ordered 2, just in case, less than $ 15.00. Thanks

·
Registered
349 Posts
Keys arrived, was playing with the magnets and my shutter will move up and down with the famous "piece of wood" no lock at all. I put the magnets in one key, lost one magnet in the garage clutter, and will get them cut tomorrow.

·
Administrator
18,199 Posts
Keys arrived, was playing with the magnets and my shutter will move up and down with the famous "piece of wood" no lock at all. I put the magnets in one key, lost one magnet in the garage clutter, and will get them cut tomorrow.
I have taken my switch cover apart and removed the steel ball and magnets so mine will turn and cover the keyhole. But I can turn it with my finger so it looks like its locked. I only use it to keep rain out.

Reactions: Anon

·
Registered
349 Posts
OK, that explains it, must be the same thing here, thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'll concede I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I can't seem to get the magnets into the holes in the new key blank. I assumed it would be a tight interference fit, but I can't even get the magnet started in the hole. Is there some trick I'm missing? I guess I can enlarge the holes by scraping with a knife or a small file- should that be necessary? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I had to use a drill bit on mine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Great minds think alike! I just did that- small drill bit, twisted by hand, opened up the holes enough to pop the magnets in. Those magnets are a royal pita. Now to find a locksmith to cut the key and then I need to figure out where to hide it on the bike. Maybe under the seat since I have the emergency release installed thanks to the advice on the board.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Until reading this thread, I forgot that little key-door was even a feature on the Burgman.

Other than curiosity when I got the bike ten years ago, I've never closed it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Rick any chance you could give me the actual supplier address , so I can order direct as the keys are are not listed on EBAY UK . regards

·
Registered
349 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Aww man!

I paid five cents MORE per key (US$6.12)! I got ripped off! ;-)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-Suzuki-Burgman-AN250-AN400-AN650-Magnetic-Key-Shell-Uncut-Blade-3-Magnets/191842332789

Seriously tough, I got three keys to make sure that not only _I_ had a spare, but I had one to give a friend who may have to deliver said spare to me. And I use one as my daily driver now, including the magnets. So these hold up pretty well.

As far as inserting the magnets: I placed the magnet over the hole. Then, using a needle-node pliers and a rubber mallet, I gently tapped them into place. It's a pain, but it was pretty quick work. Of course... I'll never get them out again!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts