Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, Please.

I bought an Eddie Bauer branded digital trail compass to mount on my scooter. It has among other things a digital compass and a thermometer on it.

Trying to find a locaton to install it I was testing the compass and discovered it is distracted by a strong magnetic force. The north pointer would point to a spot on the left front end of scooter, near the H and M buttons on the display, and probably behind the plastic between those buttons and the left mirror hinge mount.

Will someone with a service manual and hopefully an exploded parts diagram please see if you can tell what's in there that is magnetic? If it's a critical part that can't be removed then it looks like any compass mounted on the front will be useless.

Or anyone that's had the front handlebar/dash area completely apart. Did you notice anything with a magnet? A motor in there, maybe?

All help greatly appreciated.

Dave B.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
As we know, a wire with an electrical current going through it, will cause magnitism.

It might be tough to find anyplace near the dash that is free of electric wires. The left side is where the fuses are, so, a lot of wires.

If you find a spot, it will be intresting to know where it is. Sorry I can't be more help.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Thats the area where your horn is located. Could this be causing your problem?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
allwalk said:
It sure could be Allwalk. I'll go out and see if I can localize the source vertically. If it's the horn I might try re-mounting it in the rear of the bike or just take it out.

Thanks

·
Registered
925 Posts
allwalk said:
Exactly what I was thinking. I know on my little 50cc, I had the same problem which was caused by the magnet on the horn.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The horn must either have one hell of a strong magnet in it, or the compass is extremely sensitive. Either way there is too much magnetic distraction for this compass to work on my 650. And I was very much looking forward to having a compass on my bike. :cry:

BTW, the horn is about 1.5' below the dash area. It is visible looking through the front behind the front wheel.

Some notes... When using a flashlight while checking for a magnetic source that's attracting a compass, be sure the flashlight doesn't have it's own magnet on it. :oops: When searching for a magnetic source near the front wheel, don't forget that you've already installed a powerful rare-earth magnet on the brake disk as a sensor trigger for your bike speedo. :oops:

Dave B.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have yet to see any magnetic compass work properly on just about any motorcycle. To much metal and to many magnetic fields. I use my GPS for acurate directions.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I have a small magnetic compass mounted to the upper portion of my dash, just under the windshield. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow. It works great. Funny though. There's a steel trestle-style bridge over the Wabash on the edge of town that makes the compass align itself with the bridges centerline as I cross. Once I get across, the compass quickly finds North again.

Steve

·
Registered
553 Posts
wrecruiser said:
I have yet to see any magnetic compass work properly on just about any motorcycle. To much metal and to many magnetic fields. I use my GPS for acurate directions.
I have a couple of magnetic compasses ( the type that you can wear around your neck) and I have tested those for mounting to the 400 with engine off, engine running ect. and there seems to be no effect on the compass on the 400.

Steve

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The horn on the 400 is at about foot level if I remember correctly. The horn on the 650 is about knee level. I found that if I moved the compass back to the pinion seat it would find north again. The horn on the 650 may have a more powerful magnet in it too. The problem with my compass is that to have it be useful it needed to be mounted just above the glovebox and flat (horizontal), and NOT anywhere on the pivoting handlebar section. This got it too close to the horn below, or whatever else in there that might have been magnetic. A simple conventional magnetic compass clipped to the top edge of the windscreen would probably be far enough away to not be distracted.

I'm wondering if anyone makes a magnet-less horn. Instead of a permanent magnet, it could use an electromagnet only active (magnetic)when the horn was used.

I gave up on the fancy compass/thermometer, and opted to install a simple digital thermometer instead. It had no compass to worry about. I've put pictures in the gallery.

Dave B.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
4DThinker said:
...The north pointer would point to a spot on the left front end of scooter, near the H and M buttons on the display, and probably behind the plastic between those buttons and the left mirror hinge mount. ...
allwalk said:
Thats the area where your horn is located. ...
I thought the horn was located on the right fairing, behind the little grill openings, not anywhere near the left mirror.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Brian said:
I thought the horn was located on the right fairing, behind the little grill openings...
4DThinker said:
On a 650 (mine at least) the horn is visible from the front behind the front wheel and right below the left mirror.
Yeah, mine too; I just looked.

So, that's what I get for assuming. That left me curious what was behind the little grill on the right leg shield, so I got out my service manual and searched.

It's not really clear from the illustrations, but I think it's the atmospheric pressure sensor. (I didn't even know there was one. :oops: )

The good news is that I now know where to go to replace that wimpy horn with something a little more intimidating. :twisted:

·
Registered
969 Posts
4DThinker said:
BTW, what's the device on the right handle plastic?

Dave B.
That's the bicycle computer/accurate speedometer. :wink:

Steve

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, I looked again into figuring how to get my compass on the scooter. The magnet that is distracting it is NOT the horn. There is something at front dash level, on the left side, behind where the rear view mirror attaches. When I hold my compass vertically, it will point up or down to where the magnetic source is vertically. Using that strategy to locate the height of the source, and walking the compass around the scooter to locate the geographic location has it narrowed down to the area I describe above. This source is a stronger magnet than the horn magnet. It is not just a piece of steel, as that isn't magnetic by itself. My compass is not distracted by being near anything else in my garage that is steel or iron. It's a digital compass, and uses some sort of sensor rather than a magnetized element to detect the earth's (or any other) strong magnetic field. I can set it right on my cast iron table-saw table and it will still point to true north. But if I put my magnetic field compass on the same table it is unreliable.

Please help. I may have to tear apart the dash, but I'd like to know ahead of time what I'll find there. Anyone with an exploded parts view? Can you see any part that might be in that area that would have a magnet in it?

Thanks

Dave B.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
4DThinker said:
...The magnet that is distracting it is NOT the horn. There is something at front dash level, on the left side, behind where the rear view mirror attaches. ...
I looked at my Service Manual, and didn't see anything that would require a magnet (or should I say, that I know would require a magnet). There is wiring there for the display, the wire to the turn signal in the left mirror, and the air filter box. That's about it.

I got my 650 back from the dealer today, so after work I'll look more closely at the actual bike with the manual in hand, and see if I can figure it out.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
Have you tried disconnecting the battery, to see if it's still a problem.

Again, it may be something electrical. All those wires with power in them may be causing a magnetic field.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Jim said:
Again, it may be something electrical. All those wires with power in them may be causing a magnetic field.snipped
That would be my guess too.
No way around that, at least not one that's worth all the bother.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts