Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I have seen in the dealers, the back end of the key has a little wrench thingy on it that turns the gizmo (these are all highly technical terms :wink: ), to the left of the igniton switch.

This slides a steel plate over the igniton switch covering it up.
Great idea, but what's magnetic about it? :?

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Magnetic key lock

Thanks for the info Bill.

I understand now how it works.

The head of the key will only open the bike it comes with.(with which it comes?) :?

They're are all different.

I put forth a query to Mike, who has had a replacement key supplied by Suzuki ($155.00 US), to see if the repalcement key includes the properly coded magnetic head for his Burg.

It's a better system than I thought. (other than the cost of the keys)

·
Registered
611 Posts
It doesn't have a "chip" in it, and they aren't all different. They have 4 magnets in them, and the order of their polarity determines if they will open your shutter. With 4 magnets, that means there are only 16 different magnetic key combinations. My fiancee and I have different bikes from different years - and ours will open and close each others shutters.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Re: Magnetic key lock

lilleyen said:
Thanks for the info Bill.

I understand now how it works.

The head of the key will only open the bike it comes with.(with which it comes?) :?

They're are all different.

I put forth a query to Mike, who has had a replacement key supplied by Suzuki ($155.00 US), to see if the repalcement key includes the properly coded magnetic head for his Burg.

It's a better system than I thought. (other than the cost of the keys)

Is there a thread on this? I didn't think it was possible to get a replacement key? From a previous discussion, my understanding was that you could get a pre-cut key that matched your bike, but you could NOT get one w/ the correct magnetic head. Is there hope for those of us that have lost a key?

·
Registered
611 Posts
The keys themselves can be bought aftermarket for about $4 at any key shop, the magnetic shutter opener is another thing. If you buy a new magnetic shutter for $75 it will come with 4 of the black plastic key covers that stick onto the metal key. Since Ann's 400 and my 650 share the same shutter key, I've thought of buying another shutter so we could each have 4 keys with matching shutter keys.

Per the other thread- 37155-10G00 SHUTTER 1 (item #24) - $74.89

If you've lost a key, I'd suggest you buy a new shutter mechanism and have some spare keys made from your original. Since there are only 16 different shutter keys, I'm sure someone on burgmanusa would be interested in the old shutter key (the black plastic part can be just pulled off the key). You can check for a match by holding a paperclip or something to the end of the shutter key to find the polarity sequence of your 4 magnets. If you're lucky - you might buy the new shutter with the same sequence... :)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Robert said:
They have 4 magnets in them, and the order of their polarity determines if they will open your shutter. With 4 magnets, that means there are only 16 different magnetic key combinations.
Not quite. Not all have four magnets; mine, for example, has only three.

Since there are several places where the blank space could be; and there could be one, two, or three blanks; plus the two possible polarizations for each of the remaining (magnet present) spaces; plus, as you mentioned, the combinations possible when all four magnets are present; the number of combinations is far more than 16.

+P1, - P1, or 0 P1
X
+P2, - P2, or 0 P2
X
+P3, - P3, or 0 P3
X
+P4, - P4, or 0 P4
=
81 combinations if my math is correct.

I assume, however, that Suzuki wouldn't ship a model with all four spaces empty, so we can elliminate a 0-0-0-0 key. That still leaves 80 combinations.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts