Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just talked to Mark at Madstad Windshields.

I ordered a 26" long x 24" wide Windshield, with his adjustable brackets.

I hope this is going to give me what I want. adjust-ability to provide a smooth clean air stream to get rid of most of the helmet buffeting.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Please keep us posted on how this works for you when you get it. The part has worked very well on other bikes and this is the first I have heard of it for the Burgman. Thanks

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The shields that Mark at Madstad has built in the past were smaller shields about 20"-22" tall and narrower than what I wanted as well.

I asked him if he could build a larger shield, he said he could do custom size shields. But the most comfortable shield is one that is about the height of your chin then adjust for the correct adjustments in height and angle from there to get it perfect for you comfort.

He did say that his bracket adjustment has about a 5" adjustment range in height.

I am having him build a 26" Tall shield x 22" wide with a Light smoked tint to get rid of any glare.

I will post a before and after picture, as well as before and after real world riding experience., with Pros & Cons if there are any.

I am using this 650 Burgman as my new Goldwing or a sport touring bike, so far it is coming together and fill the bill.

I just sold my two Goldwings a;
1. 1998' GL1500 1500cc six cylinder
2. 2001' GL1800 1800cc six cylinder engine

I just put a Race Tech Front Fork suspension,

and Rear shocks are from a 1986' GL1200 Goldwing with a Air suspension, that i modified to the mount on the 05' 650 Burgman,
Bestem 2012 Top box, Isuzu back rest, dual Loud 132dbl Horns.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is my 05' Burgman 650 scoot with factory Windshield

This is the before;

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
another before pic of the stock shield

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
another befoe pic Stock shield

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is another Before pic

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mark at Madstad was waiting to receive a New light tinted shield material, looks like he received it today like he thought he would, since he sent me a Invoice, as he said he would not invoice me till he was ready to ship.

He will probably ship it today or tomorrow. An I will have it in a week, Florida to Oregon should take a week.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
I also have a new seat being built by Cary Vincent of Burgmanbrothers.com

He is building me a overstuffed seat, with extra 1" memory foam, and gel pad for rider and passenger, in a Dark Gray faux leather, material #GR-42 material number.

I just hope to receive that seat before summer is over, other wise I will be using the burgman 650 as a bar stool during those long Winter months, I am just anxious to get that new seat and try it out.

No fault at all of Cary Vincent/Burgmanbrothers.com as he had several seats in front of mine. I am just ready for my New Seat.

seat material color pic, Camera shows the seat material a little lighter than it looks in person.

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New Madstad Windshield and Brackets shipped today.

UPS says arrival date next Monday.

So I should have it on sometime Monday. :thumbup:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I received the Madstad windshield system & bracket kit.

It is a High Quality Kit.

The Madstad System Makes it possible for High Pressure Air Flow equalization from BOTH!!!!! Under & Over the Windshield!!!!!!! This is the trick!!!! and the infinite angle adjustment to get the flow right for every individual rider through its infinite adjustment.

Let me start off by saying I like the idea behind the Madstad system it is to create High pressure air under the (This is Very Uncommon) windshield, and high pressure over the top of the (This is Always Common)shield, this equals the pressure from under and over the Madstad System.

Since the pressure under and over the shield is equalized, this seems to really SMOOTH out the air stream substantially over the top of the shield (almost smoothing it out and pushing it up higher like a much larger shield would) and you get a nice flow (This Nice flow is very smooth is a few a few inches thick and follows the under side of the shield) from behind the shield that flows up under along the shield where it joins very smoothly with the air coming over the top of the shield.

The OEM shield especially the OEM shield MOUNTING BRACKET causes a Low pressure under the shield, with Low pressure under the shield And High Pressure Over the top of the shield you get turbulence at the top of the shield and swirling behind the shield.

This is a preliminary review, with very Little test time.

I am a believer in the Madstad System. It was a short ride due to temp out side was 107 degrees,

The stock shield is removed and the plastic Shield Mounting Bracket is also removed, and not reused. The stock Plastic Mounting Bracket, does not allow much air to come from under the shield, creating the low pressure area under the shield.

Let me talk about how it was before First this is with the Stock Shield:
While riding at any speed BEFORE, I would check the air flow from in front of the shield by holding my hand at the top of the shield and back from the top of the shield several inches and up over the top of the shield that was coming straight at my face, it was very turbulent air.

I also held my hand behind the windshield, behind the shield there was very little movement coming up from behind the shield, it was swirling behind the shield, this according to madstad creates a low pressure are behind the shield and helps to create the turbulent air.

With the stock windshield, and OEM shield mounting bracket, I can see how the common idea is to go for a larger shield, a Taller & wider shield.

But!!, It is possible to have a less turbulent ride, have less low pressure, the low pressure swirling causes turbulent air and dirt to swirl in that low pressure area just the right location to breathe all that dirt /pollen in while riding since it just swirls right in front of your face.

Current with the new Madstad shield:
I installed the Madstad system today,

There is a new Powder coated Black alum. Plate That attaches to the Dash where the stock Shield MOUNTING BRACKET Used to be Mounted. This plate acts like a air scoop, it grabs air from under the shield to equalize air pressure.

The Brackets are mounted to this plate, and are adjustable height and depth, and angle for aft top and bottom of the Madstad shield.

I went for a short test ride due to that 107 degree temp thing. This is high temp crap is going to have to stop! anyway,

The test ride revealed that the low pressure under the shield was gone!!, the pressure was equal from under the shield as it was over the top of the shield. The Mad stad Brackets are adjustable, I had absolutely No riding time and i did not adjust the height or the angles of the shield.

The shield was in the absolute Lowest position it would go in, This would put the top of the shield at about the chin level, I could see over the top of the Madstad shield easily.

In this lowest shield position the air flow was VERY SMOOTH, the turbulence was mostly gone, Air over the top of the shield was Extremely smooth, better than before, and i have not even started adjusting yet.

That Is AMAZING!!! This shield/Bracket system feels like a much bigger shield, Only without the Low pressure.

I LIKE THIS MADSTAD SYSTEM.

With the Madstad windshield system you do not need a windshield Vent, It seems like it self vents, but does not blow directly on you, Like most shield vents do, i remember many, MANY, MANY!! times getting bugs through the vent and in my helmet/FACE or in my jacket going down the road with a unhappy wasp or Bee taking your attention off of the road.

I will get some pictures of this new Madstad Windshield system maybe tomorrow.

I did not get a Before picture Looking down under/behind the shield my stock shield/mounting bracket had no place for air to flow under the shield.

This is what creates the Low pressure under and High pressure over the top of the shield, and this creates the turbulence right at the top of the shield, and swirling right behind the shield, used to be the only way to fix this dead dirty swirling air way to blast it out with a vent, I hate those vents, might as well not have a shield at all.

The Madstad system seems to me a much better, seems like a high tech, well thought out air management system.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A couple pictures

Again this Windshield (in the pictures) is adjusted to the almost lowest adjustment setting.

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
more pics

Ya know not enough people use trash as a back ground when shooting pictures. I dare to go there. But it was hard rounding up enough trash and the right quaulity and quantity of trash need for those back ground shots.

NICE!!

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Got confused with the pics. In the 3rd post, 2nd pic of the stock windwhield, it looks like there is a 2nd short shield connected to the basic sgield. Is this factory? (I purched my 650 used with a Cee Bailey shield).

I gather the Madstadt is the brackets which allow you tilt the windhield or raies it up and down? In the later pics, the "2nd" windshield in the initial pics seems to be gone?

thx

greg

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
westgl

I'll be the one to ask the crude and personal question :oops:

What was your cost delivered for the setup? :?:

I really like it...know a couple of riders with Madstad's, and they love them :thumbup:

Just curious and no time to make a call :wink:

Bill

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey guys,

I gave Mark at Madstad the size of the shield I wanted, 26" tall by 22" wide at the base.

From the picture above, you can see the windshield is in its lowest position, I was looking over the top of the shield, But, then I adjusted the shield up to a higher position but it was not all the way up I was looking through the shield, it was very still air same as when it was in the lowest position very still air & quiet.

I been riding some more and noticed that the bike over all is more quiet than it was, I mean there is much less wind noise, and with the air so much smoother than it was, it seems like the bike moves easier through the air/wind.

Now when i filled up with gas yesterday I did notice that the mpg indicator seemed like it made it to 50 mpg much faster than it usually does. Nah that is probably wishful thinking.

Response;
gregbenner, that is a stock shield with a after market wind blocker mini add on shield with shield clamps, It does help somewhat over the stock shield. But it does not compare to the new Madstad Shield system.
I do not feel that this windblocker is needed on the madstad shield system.

Response;
malahy1501, Madstad Part Number, RB3-Burgman-SD26-LG, Suzuki Burgman 650 3pc Robo Kit with 26" Light Gray Sport SD Shield Bike year, make, model: Burgman 650, cost $289.95 + $21.81 shipping. This is for the Windshield, and all Brackets included.

Response;
ErikDK, Well the Madstad windshield has the mounting holes in the locations for the Madstad Robo Brackets, I am not sure if they are the same, but there is no reason why a different shield could be drilled, to mount your own shield.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I suppose that someone could make a fixed angled bracket if you could get the right angle to fit you. Then ride with it in the one position, and hope it is right for you, or space it out to make the adjustments.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts