Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie to this forum but have asked a few questions in anticipation of selling my Harley Roadking and buying a Burgman 650. Well, I sold the Harley and bought a 2006 650 in wonderful condition (22,000 mi) a few weeks ago. I've put about 500 miles on the 650 now and am amazed at how it rides and handles. I ride mostly secondary and country roads in southern Pennsylvania and don't have any interest in riding over 65 mph. I should have done this many years ago - it's comfortable, easily powerful enough, and runs effortlessly. I've done maintenance to the engine oil, transmission oil, and final drive lube. All done with ease - Suzuki definitely gave some thought to making these regular maintenance tasks do-able by owners. I'm taking it in tomorrow to my local Suzuki dealer for sparkplugs and coolant flush. So far, so good.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well I just sold my Ultra Glide and bought a Burgman 650 as well. I ride it more than I did my Harl, not only because it is so fun, but I can roll and maneuver it in the garage so well, it is not as much of a rigamarole to take it out. Also, a huge factor for me is the heat that does NOT pour from it. Open Road, the Harl was fine. But even medium sized towns with traffic control devices made riding over 80 degrees or so just miserable for me. So far, love the Burgle.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Congrats on the new ride and glad your enjoying it. Even though you said you won't be riding it ove 65 mph it is very capable of doing that or faster with ease. It's interesting to see over the years the steady migration toward the Burgman 650 from other types of bikes. It truely is a unique bike.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Here in the UK people have a bit of a "closed mind" to machines such as the the Burgman 650 when in fact for most people, most of the time it's a far better bet than a conventional motorcycle. The best indicator of this is I would quite safely assume that once someone changes over to one their anual milage/useage significantly increases.

Geoff.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Jim and Lipster , welcome to the forum and the scooter world . I can pretty well promise you that you'll never want to go back to shifting once you get used to the scooter thing . I shifted for 50 years , that was enough for me I'll never go back .
As far as the Burgman 650 goes , you bought the best ride in the lot .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I never minded the shifting, but when I move it in the garage, for whatever reason, it is always in neutral! And that is a good thing. Can't tell you how many times on other machines, just needed to move it a foot or so with engine off, I would try to go from 1st to N, and hit 2nd, still wouldn't move.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I never minded the shifting, but when I move it in the garage, for whatever reason, it is always in neutral! And that is a good thing. Can't tell you how many times on other machines, just needed to move it a foot or so with engine off, I would try to go from 1st to N, and hit 2nd, still wouldn't move.
As some other have found it will move a little easier if it was started, put into manual first, and then shut off. This causes the clutch to spin slower and have less friction when pushing the bike around.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was referring to all my other motorcycles over the years, especially those with wet clutches. Where I live, -20F in the garage complicates things even more.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I was referring to all my other motorcycles over the years, especially those with wet clutches. Where I live, -20F in the garage complicates things even more.
The Burgy has a wet clutch but I can imagine cold weather even though I live in sunny So Cal. :)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
MJR, isn't it great to have to imagine cold weather is like ? I was razed in Ohio so I can remember what cold weather is like. I moved to Florida in 1972 so the memory is fading but I do remember enough to appreciate the move. ;)

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
MJR, isn't it great to have to imagine cold weather is like ?
I spent 5 years in New Hampshire. Cold is ok as long as you don't have to be anywhere, shovel, or scrape it. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts