Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am thinking of buying a Burgman as my main transport to work (!) .

Anyway some of the time I have to fly out of town, with business stuff in tow. I have access to a good covered place to park the scooter, so that is fine, its just getting my darn garmanet bag onto the thing, and to the airport that worries me.

The bag is of this type

I had thought about fitting, (in some way) an aftermarket rack or something from one of the ATV manufacturers.

But I am not sure of weight and securing it.

I am sure someone has had to face this before and other than (sadly)shipping my gear, I am not sure of a good solution.

Thanks for any help, and once I get this sorted then its off to buy the scooter.

Michael

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
A good size duffle bag will fit perfectly in the Burgman 650 underseat trunk. That is what I use when I tour. If folded properly, your business clothes would probably survive the duffle bag OK. There are also various soft luggage products that are designed to be securely attached to a motorcycle (panniers, tail packs, etc.). Here is a link to the Givi line. The T405 expandable saddlebags might be useful.Givi luggage - Arizona Motorsports
That garment bag is not going to be easy to accomodate.

Basically, your best choices are to change your packing habits (different luggage) - or take the car to the airport when you do business trips.

·
Registered
25 Posts
For about 14 bucks I bought some little "stobs" that screw into the bottom of the passangers hand rails. The "stobs" ( an east texas term for something that protrudes) allow bungee hooks to be held in place for lashing down cargo on the passenger seat. The B 400 comes with the sissy bar which would help hold your load from the rear. There is approximately 13 inches from the sissy bar to the riders backrest and your bag doesnt appear to be wider than the bike itself so Im thinking you could strap that bag on and it would make a nice cushy back rest.. If you go to the Suzuki web site and click on Burgman accessories, you will see the stobs I am talking about.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Jbird said:
---your bag doesnt appear to be wider than the bike itself---
I think it is probably wider than the seat - at least all the garment bags I've ever had were. The picture is deceptive in that regard I think. If I'm wrong, the bunge cord approach could work. But if it is much wider than the seat, I wouldn't take that approach. Too much possibility that it will shift position when riding. As for the passenger backrest on the 400 (sissy bar) I would think it is much too short to secure that bag too.

However, the dimensions of the bag are important to this discussion. Perhaps Michael could provide the measuements?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Laying it flat and using a good cargo net might hold it firmly enough, fore and aft it would be nicely wedged between your back and the passenger back rest. It would need some waterproofing too, perhaps wrapped in a bin-bag, not elegant but effective.
A proper sissy-bar bag would hold a lot of gear but wouldn't hold a suit as neatly as your proper fold-over garment bag. If you reversed the sissy-bar bag so it rested on the passenger seat, then the bag's backrest sleeve would give it stability, I think they also have tie down straps which would pass neatly through the bikes rear handles. Some of the cruiser sites have huge ranges http://www.motorcycle-luggage.com/MotorcycleSissyBarBags/

Dave

·
Registered
137 Posts
pauljo, in reading your post I noticed the T427 scooter bags from Givi. That's the first I've seen of a true scooter saddle bag. They look neat, I wonder if anybody else has tried them already? I looked at Cortech tail and saddle bags this weekend and I just don't see how either would fasten to the Burgman 650 very well. I'd like a Givi hardcase but a little steep for me, so I'm leaning towards soft luggage but I just can't seem to come up with good tail and saddle bags that will fit and look good at the same time.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
jkrerol15 said:
pauljo, in reading your post I noticed the T427 scooter bags from Givi. That's the first I've seen of a true scooter saddle bag. They look neat, I wonder if anybody else has tried them already? I looked at Cortech tail and saddle bags this weekend and I just don't see how either would fasten to the Burgman 650 very well. I'd like a Givi hardcase but a little steep for me, so I'm leaning towards soft luggage but I just can't seem to come up with good tail and saddle bags that will fit and look good at the same time.
I'd consider those for extra carrying capacity while touring. For daily use, they can't compare with a lockable tail box. I have the Givi E52 and I use it constantly. It is lockable, waterproof storage. The T427s are water resistant at best, even with rain covers. And they and / or their contents could go missing if you leave them on your scooter unattended.

Someone just posted that Arizona Motorsports is having a good sale on the E52 right now.... I beleve it is $100 off of their already good price. It's worth thinking about.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts