Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Thunder Chickens were in town for the air show. Nabbed theses lucky captures of the 6 ship formation with a cell phone. #6 solo Kyle Oliver was born and raised in the Miami Valley. Great show Thunderbirds, well done.

·
Administrator
21,781 Posts
We get the "Blue Angles" Navy team out here every year for the "SeaFair" weekend. They do their slow turns over our house.

·
Administrator
21,781 Posts
I tend to not go to Air Shows anymore. Love watching from a distance.

In 1988 I was in Kaiserslauturn Germany, 1.5 miles away when the two Italian jets hit each other at the Ramstine Air show.

·
Premium Member
17,413 Posts
the av8c harrier used to be part of the blue angels air show in N.C. and in the east coast, the Navy made them stop because they were getting too much attention at the air shows and distracting from the Angels, ( the air shows are a recruiting tool} There were a couple crashes, but I think only one had fatalities. I was involved in preparing/choosing an aircraft for the airshow, and the criteria was, a good strong engine, but also one that was short on life, cause they were gonna melt that sucker down during the show and scrap it after that flight. It was really impressive to see a jet "fighter" fly up to the airshow, stop in mid air, turn to face the crowd, in mid air just hovering, bow it's nose to the crowd, turn sideways to the crowd , nose still down, back up tail first into the sky for 50/60 feet, then nose up in place and climb away almost vertically all the time making a hellish racket. What the crowd didn't know was it flew to the far end of the airfield , landed, shut down the engine and was pulled back to the barn where the engine was removed and scrapped.
Funny thing about that bird, it always seemed to crash in mud or water, Even in Idaho, some ungodly elevation we had one crash, and it was in mud that froze at night and thawed about noon, so we were digging out parts with pickaxes in the morning and slogging around ankle deep in the evening trying to get all the parts out, there were, classified parts in it, they had to be recovered and controlled, Make a guess who had the security clearance and experience and so had to be there,

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Nice shots. We see the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels most years at the Dayton Air Show.

The AV8 is an incredible machine and always enjoy the demos. Didn't know that about the engines.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would that be the Ohio Miami Valley near

yep

We get the "Blue Angles" Navy team out here every year for the "SeaFair" weekend. They do their slow turns over our house.
Dayton typically alternates between Chickens and Angels every other year. 2003 we had Chickens, Angels, and Snowbirds for the Centennial of Flight.

Much respect for both US demonstration teams, both fly precision shows but the Angels impress me because they don't wear G-Suits.
I tend to not go to Air Shows anymore. Love watching from a distance.

In 1988 I was in Kaiserslauturn Germany, 1.5 miles away when the two Italian jets hit each other at the Ramstine Air show.
URL unfurl="true"]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramstein_air_show_disaster[/URL]
Same here. A friend was at that show. That was aweful. IIRC, that team was doing a big no no and performing a pass towards the crowd.

2013 lost Jane Wicker and Charlie Schwenker 😢
2017 the Thunder Chicken 8 'crashed' during landing.

Probably the best air show, IMO, that I've witnessed was in Kalamazoo, MI. Flight of the Gruman cats and Leo Loudenslager doing a Lomcevak. Have seen Bob Hoover (flying the Shrike and Saberliner), Patty Wagstaff, and Sean Tucker. All incredible performances.

I would still like to see the Reno unlimiteds in person before they're gone or outlawed...guess that's on the bucket list.

·
Premium Member
17,413 Posts
Nice shots. We see the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels most years at the Dayton Air Show.

The AV8 is an incredible machine and always enjoy the demos. Didn't know that about the engines.
Another thing people don't realize, the speed at which the shows and passes are done, are slow compared to the aircraft's capability, an a/c passing at 200/300 mph seems like it's very fast, same a/c passing at 500 600 mph would just be a noise, gone before seen,

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another thing people don't realize, the speed at which the shows and passes are done, are slow compared to the aircraft's capability, an a/c passing at 200/300 mph seems like it's very fast, same a/c passing at 500 600 mph would just be a noise, gone before seen,
The solos will do their 'sneak' pass that is quite quick, still subsonic, but you don't hear it until it passes. IIRC, the Angels have done supersonic passes over water....may not have been from an actual 'show' but there's video of it, shockwave, boom and all. 😁

Reactions: mikeyMarine

·
Administrator
21,781 Posts
The SR71 could do Mach 2+ over land at 16 miles high. The Shock Wave will dissipate before it hits the ground. But at 16 miles high you will not see it anyway. The point!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Best dam SR71 story told by a real sled driver
"...and a twelve year old was reaching for the mic button.." 🤣

If you want to hear a full presentation from Brian Shul

1 - 12 of 12 Posts