Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone explain to me how to do the lubricating procedures on Burg 400 as specified in the manual? They didn't really give any detailed instructions on how to do it, or what to buy. Oil? Grease?

Any help would be much appreciated. :)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi

You are quite correct.

The owners manual just lists the major lubrication points (5 in my manual) and specifies as either Motor Oil or grease.

To be honest the Service Manual is the way to go here as there is a lot of info on oiling and greasing than I am prepared to type out.

However apart form Motor Oil, they list:

a. Molybdenum oil solution (a mix of motor oil and Suzuki Moly paste).
b. Suzuki Super Grease A.
c. Suzuki Silicone Grease.
d. Suzuki Moly Paste
e. Brake Fluid
f. Thermo grease 'G'
g. Fork Oil.

Unfortunately no specs. It is my intention to visit the dealer and get the specs so I can get (or check) the proprietary equivalents. In the meantime I have just been using what I have in my shop.

Hope this is helpful to you. The Service Manual is a good investment and will pay for itself in short order! (Oneida is the cheapest Stateside source - I believe)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hello NormB,

Thanks for that information (if and when you get it) but I noticed there appears to be two different brands of grease recommended. USA brand and then the other?? Different part numbers and both available from Suzuki. Probably different suppliers but same grease specifications I would venture to guess.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks NormanB.

I can tell this is going to be harder than I thought (for those us not mechanically inclined.) I'll go ahead and order that manual today per your suggestion, but any additional info you can give for us newbies and mechanically retarded would be appreciated. :D

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi

I will do all I am able to help you along, as will the other forum members I am sure. :thumbright:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the service manual... thanks for the link NormanB. :) Most of it makes sense to me. But just to be clear about a few things that slightly confuse me:

• -When you oil the throttle cables: Which part are you lubricating exactly?

-On the brake lever holders: Are you supposed to grease the hinge on the brake handles? Or something else?
On a side note. I wasn't able to find the Suzuki Super Grease at the local dealer, but I was able to find it online:

SUZUKI SUPER GREASE - #99000-25030

SUZUKI MOLY PASTE - #99000-25140

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again Norm.

Can anyone recommend any accessories to make this easier (and to avoid getting oil everywhere)? That article mentions using a funnel for the throttle cables, but I know there's other devices that help.

Also, do you need to disconnect the cable at both ends? Or is one enough?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I haven't lubed a throttle cable in over 20 years - and have had no problems with them. I just put a little 3-in-1 oil on the lever pivots once in a while. Yes, I know, all the owner's manuals say to do it - but in my experience it has not been necessary.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
pauljo said:
I haven't lubed a throttle cable in over 20 years - and have had no problems with them. I just put a little 3-in-1 oil on the lever pivots once in a while. Yes, I know, all the owner's manuals say to do it - but in my experience it has not been necessary.
So tell us Paul - and what was the longest you had a bike in ownership?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So do you typically remove the cable from both ends to lube it? If so, pretty crazy that they recommend going through this after every long ride or rain (thank goodness I live in Los Angeles.)

So much they don't tell you... We should really get a "maintenance" section on this board that explains how to do the basics, as well as a timetable for these things.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
CINCNORAD said:
So do you typically remove the cable from both ends to lube it? If so, pretty crazy that they recommend going through this after every long ride or rain (thank goodness I live in Los Angeles.)

So much they don't tell you... We should really get a "maintenance" section on this board that explains how to do the basics, as well as a timetable for these things.
No - no need to remove cable - after a long wet ride some 3 in 1 on lever pivot only.

Cable lube is what I would defer to as annual maintenance, normally a winter job.

Maintenance section - great idea. :!:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
CINCNORAD said:
We should really get a "maintenance" section on this board that explains how to do the basics, as well as a timetable for these things.
I think that is what the "How to" forum was created for.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Cinc, I just skimmed this thread, but I'm curious as to why you are lubing the throttle cable of a '04 scooter? I live in CA as well and have never, ever had to grease one up, and I live close enough to the Pacific ocean to literally piss in high tide from my property. But hey, maybe I've been negligent about that, it wouldn't be the first time. From what I know about lubing a throttle cable (from others), I'd rather gouge myself in the head with a fork.

Peace.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Bleeder and Paul, you're both right, the throttle cables of modern machines have teflon (nylon?) inners, which don't require lubrication. A little oil around the pivot joints is all that's necessary, but if lubricating everything that moves gives some people a sense of satisfaction, good for them, I guess.

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Except the Service Manuel, maybe you also need a Burgman Parts
Manuel.

Suzuki have published / revised the Burgman AN250/AN400
Parts Manuel '04. You can buying this manuel from Suzuki Japan.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
TaiwanSkywave said:
Except the Service Manuel, maybe you also need a Burgman Parts
Manuel.

Suzuki have published / revised the Burgman AN250/AN400
Parts Manuel '04. You can buying this manuel from Suzuki Japan.
Is the parts manual any different than the online microfiche available at Ron Ayers?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts