Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you use engine oil or something else? What type of applicator do you use to appy the oil? The manual says to use grease for the throttle cable. The throttle cable is enclosed. How do you extend it so that you can apply the grease. Do you just rub some grease on with your fingers?

Sorry if these are dumb questions.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
8,067 Posts
No such thing as a dumb question, I just use oil, I adjust the cables for max play, and try and get some in with an oil can, then re-adjust. I also do the brake handles with grease by taking them off, cleaning, the greasing with lubra-plate (fine white grease), this is a noticable difference.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jim said:
No such thing as a dumb question, I just use oil, I adjust the cables for max play, and try and get some in with an oil can, then re-adjust. I also do the brake handles with grease by taking them off, cleaning, the greasing with lubra-plate (fine white grease), this is a noticable difference.
Jim,
At this point I'm not comfortable adjusting and/or taking things off. The Owner's Manual simply shows the throttle cable as one of the points to lube. Is there some way to lube it without adjusting it?
Bob

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Cables used to have nylon linings and required no lube. I've not lubed a cable in many many years. Have things changed?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Virtually all of the owner's manuals I've had over the past 20 years have stated to lube the cables. Almost nobody does it - and they hold up fine. The only effective way to lube a cable is to remove it from the bike, hang it up so that it falls straight with a special small funnel device at the top and let oil slowly drip into the cable over a period of several hours. If I had a vintage Triump - I'd do that. But I've never done it on any machine I've owned since the early eighties - and I've never had a throttle cable problem. If I did have a problem, I'd simply have the cable replaced, but I honestly don't know anyone who has had to do that.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ted clement said:
Cables used to have nylon linings and required no lube. I've not lubed a cable in many many years. Have things changed?
All I know is the owner's manual indicates it's a good idea to lube the throttle cable with grease after rain or a long rough ride.

Bob

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
You don't put lube on NYLON. Following taken from web site selling new cables:

OEM-style cables are available in a wide variety of applications for most popular models
Cables are nylon lined and use precise OE component dimensions
Terminator clutch cables ...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ted clement said:

OEM-style cables are available in a wide variety of applications for most popular models
Thanks Ted, but can you explain why the owner's manual says it's a good idea to lube the throttle cable with grease after rain or a long rough ride?

Bob

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Bob wrote
Thanks Ted, but can you explain why the owner's manual says it's a good idea to lube the throttle cable with grease after rain or a long rough ride?
The first reason that comes to my mind is to cover there as# !
even if it's 1 out of 10000 when a cable breaks the first question they will ask is did you ever lube it.
Also remember the parts department uses new /changed parts in building the bike.
The manual may be years behind :(

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had a lot of different sportbikes before, and I only
lubed the clutch cable because there is not much stress on the throttle cables. Just my 2 cents. :wink:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
BobG said:
ted clement said:

Bob
The nylon lined cables Ted linked to are OEM-style, not OEM. They are after-market replacements.

Suzuki's may or may not be nylon lined, I haven't checked mine yet. The manual says to lube after rain or rough riding, because that's been standard practice for years; probably not needed on modern bikes, which have better protected cable openings.

In the late '70s I worked part-time at a bicycle shop, and we lubed cables with a pressure fitting that went on one end of the cable (after removing it from the lever) and forced light grease into the cable sleeve. We'd stop pumping when we saw the grease ooze out of the other end. (Light grease is liquid, but thicker than true oil. Don't recall the brand or weight.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts