Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spotted one of these at Staples (an office/electronics supply store) last night and thought it would be worth mentioning. It has a 20 gig hard drive, only 10 of which is used for the mapping database. The other 10g is available for your MP3s, easily uploaded through the included USB cable. Many more features. Comes with an extensive car mounting kit. I've told my wife she could get me one of them for my birthday in July. If she does I'll write a thorough review. $799 at Staples, but I've found it for under $700 several places online.

Here's a review: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1817903,00.asp

Good price here: http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage.php ... 1003365698

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A good thought, Roy, but if the database is 10 gigabytes what GPS with the same features but no hard drive is available? Some hard drives are made to be jostled. Laptop drives, for example. Ipod drives for another. Lowrance is famous for their boat electronics, so I trust them to make it weather worthy. Boats vibrate too, so maybe they've engineered it to work in vibrating conditions. Perhaps I'll email them and ask about motorcycle use of the I-way 500c.

Dave B.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Brought my husband one last Christmas for the Gold Wing. It is really great and the screen is big so he can see it without his reading glasses.

We did have a problem with it, not caused by the hard drive and vibration, so we contacted the company describing the problem and the company requested him to return the GPS for repairs. Within 10 days the company sent him a new GPS.

With the new one it finds your location much faster so we both agree that the other GPS was not right from the begining.

The MPS, you will have plenty of music to listen too with great sound.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I have been looking at the Lowrance I Way 100M. Good to hear a positive comment about the company. Everyone seems to get Garmins.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The technician at Staples told me Lowrance is known for their boat/fishing electronics, and has only recently started making GPS devices for cars and other land-based vehicles. With their boat experience I expect them to have weatherprooofing down, and if their boat GPS units have hard drives then they must be designed to survive choppy/bumpy conditions too.

Just a thought.

Any more Lowrance owners out there?

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
roy_ryall said:
I have been told that GPSs with HDs are not recommended for MC use due the vibration on MCs.
Dave, I asked a Garmin vendor at Honda Hoot about the HD question, said it is not the vibration that is the problem, it is the engine harmonics. I asked why he was selling the 2620, he replied only to GoldWing owners. They do not seem to make a problem with the HD???

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have had my Garmin 176 for a few years now and am considering replacing the unit. The only problem I have had with Garmin is the accuracy in the maps. For instance the map will show highway 15 as highway 14, or, the street names will be incorrect. I understand that new construction and development will be factors in accuracy, but I am referring to old established data. I am wondering who does the the maps for Lowrance? And, has there been any experience with inacurate information on the maps? This I-way may be the way to go. I like the large screen.
PR

1 - 8 of 8 Posts