Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a Suzuki dealer about risers for the 400's handlebars. He thought the better approach--cheaper aka free and probably just as effective, he thought--would be for me to remove the handlebar covering and lower the handlebars' position via the nuts/bolts/whathaveyou. Then I could also adjust the right-hand controls as well. It would lower the bars and thus bring them closer to me so I wouldn't be as stretched out.

Does this make sense? Is it as easy as it sounds? :?

Thanks in advance,

Bryna
P.S. I've got the mechanical skills God gave a bat so Lynn will be doing the work. She actually LOL'd when I mentioned me doing it. :lol:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Invincsum said:
I've got the mechanical skills God gave a bat so Lynn will be doing the work. She actually LOL'd when I mentioned me doing it.
I'm more mechanically reclined than inclined. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,069 Posts
Should work fine as long as you don't lower then to the point of hitting your leg or knees. I actually pushed mine foward to give me more room.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to:
Jim for the info :)
Bill for the laugh :D

Bryna

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hi Bryna

I adjusted mine on the 650. It required a 6 mm allen key for the bolts. I was able to move them much closer but the cover started rubbing on the dash so I moved them up untill I had sufficient clearance. I was just playing around and experimenting to see if I could make the ride even more relaxed.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Bryna

It is as Allwalk says, it will be a 'suck it and see' procedure.

You will not get too much of an adjustment without the tupperware colliding.

But if rider comfort is the priority you could either:

1.Discard the tupperware on the handlebars altogether.

2. Trim the tupperware to suit.

Also, while it may not be a problem, it would be worth checking throttle action on completion of the mod (while bike is on centre stand) start sushi up and check that idle condition is OK and throttle action smooth - just in case!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
allwalk said:
I adjusted mine on the 650. It required a 6 mm allen key for the bolts.
We tried to do Doug's 650 at Scootercade since the handlebar cover was already off for the turn signal beeper install. Those bolts were extremely tight on his bike. We gave up on it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great info, guys! I'll let my trusty mechanic (and wife) know! :D The Suzuki dealer didn't think the brake lines were long enough to add a riser without re-rigging the brakes, etc. So we'll give this a shot.

Bryna

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
pauljo said:
allwalk said:
I adjusted mine on the 650. It required a 6 mm allen key for the bolts.
We tried to do Doug's 650 at Scootercade since the handlebar cover was already off for the turn signal beeper install. Those bolts were extremely tight on his bike. We gave up on it.
They were extremely tight on mine as well. They twisted my first allen key and I ran over and bought a 6mm allen key socket which finally did the job.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Bryna, I do not think you will get much movement toward the rider by adjusting the bars and like others have pointed out, the plastic will rub. You can put risers on the 650, you have to move the wiring a little. The plastic covers can be left on with the risers also. I did it on my 650. The risers would home made, but basically the same shape. My 2003 silver 650 was at Scootercade with the risers, if anyone talked to Kreis.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good info, Roy. We've got a 400. I may attempt (or Lynn will) the first option but I will probably wind up calling GenMar about their risers. My regular Suzuki dealer said they'd install them if I found ones worth buying.

Sigh,
Bryna

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Invincsum said:
I will probably wind up calling GenMar about their risers. My regular Suzuki dealer said they'd install them if I found ones worth buying.
Byrna,

Genmar makes great quality hardware. I had a set of their risers on my Kawasaki Concours - they make them for many different motorcycles. I wouldn't hesitate to use their products again.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Bryna, sorry for the mix up on the model. I did the same thing to my 400. The wiring, cables, and brake lines worked out better on the 400, but the lower HB plastic had to be removed. I left the top HB cover on. I drilled a small hole in the center mounting piece on the under side of the upper HB cover and secured it to the HB in the center using a plastic wire tie. It created a more comfortable riding position for me.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Bryna

I just remembered a website that may be useful to you.

This guy is in the UK and of course it refers to an 'Olde Burger'

The chaps name is BOND, Julian Bond, and he has done a few mods which may interest you, sadly he had to remove the details of the ejector passenger seat. :lol:

Enough here it is :

http://www.voidstar.com/bff/myburger.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts