Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I need some help. I like the looks of the Burgman 650 (seat height 29.5") and esp. the fact that there is a manual over ride. Unfortunately, I only have a 26" inseam for the leg. The 650 has the manual over ride but not the 400. The 400 seat is 27.5". Do you know of a company that can lower the seat height (not Corbin already checked) and would I be better off buying a 2003 or 2004 400 model as the only difference seems to be in the color blue as opposed to the 650 which I really like?

I have been riding for 5 years and have a 2000 Suzuki Savage 650 only because of the seat height. I can't wait to get rid of it because it is not comfortable on long rides as well as for other reasons. I looked at the Majesty, which I liked, except for the fact that there are no cut outs for the floor boards which makes it that much harder for me to manuever the scooter.

Whatever guidance you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Evelyn

P.S. If I could afford a tryke I would get that! Interesting pictures from Southern Calf. Girl

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums Evelyn. Glad to have you join us.

Corbin does offer a lower seat called the 'close' version. The regular corbin seat give more space than the stock version. The close seat is designed for riders that do not want the additional space. I don't believe it will help much (if any) if the stock seat is too tall. You can modify the stock seat by shaving down the foam and having the seat recovered. I would also suggest having the front of the seat narrowed a bit when reshaping it.

The manual mode on the 650 isn't really that useful for most riders. I wouldn't let that option alone steer me toward the 650. If you'll read thru the forums a bit, you'll find that most riders play with using it some and then leave the bike in normal mode.

There are only a few changes that have been made between model years. You'll have to decide if the additional cost is worth the difference. It'll really depend on how good a deal you can get. I'd also consider a used bike with low milage. There's been some good deals in the 'Classifieds' forum.

Here's all the changes between the models as listed by Suzuki :

2004 Burgman 650 changes
  • California model equipped with catalyst in exhaust to reduce emissions[/*:m:qr8nky90]
2005 Burgman 650 changes
  • Center section of front cowl changed from black color to body color for improved appearance[/*:m:qr8nky90]
  • Turn signal lens changed to white color for improved appearance[/*:m:qr8nky90]
  • New transmission Over-Drive feature for better fuel economy at highway speeds[/*:m:qr8nky90]
  • Fuel consumption indicator, temperature indicator and Over-Drive indicator added to the instrument panel[/*:m:qr8nky90]
2004 Burgman 400 changes
  • Adjustable oil change indicator light - can be preset from 300 miles to 3600 miles in 300 mile increments[/*:m:qr8nky90]
  • Improved operation of front storage compartment covers[/*:m:qr8nky90]
2005 Burgman 400 changes
  • Center section of front cowl changed from black color to body color for improved appearance[/*:m:qr8nky90]
  • Turn signal lens changed to white color for improved appearance[/*:m:qr8nky90]

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Evelyn, if you were uncomfortable with the Majesty, you want stick with the 400. Even if you trim the seat on the 650, I do not know how much it will help you putting your feet on the pavement. The 400 is much easier to walk and maneuver at slow speeds than the 650 because of the 650's added weight, seat height, and drive train drag. One's ability to deal with the seat height and inseam size seems to be somewhat based on the rider's comfort level with it. Some shorter inseam riders say they do not have any problems with the 650.

The 400 will handle longer rides without any trouble. It is a very capable bike. What type of longer rides do you anticipate taking? What type of riding you do?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for your reply. I did research the Corbin seat and was aware of the close seat. However that seat does not lower the height.

There were several reasons why I wanted the 650. More power (ego); I liked the idea of a manual overide (esp. in the mtns of GA) which might help me to use less brake; and comfortability for longer rides (even if they are only 3 hours).

I am selling my Suzuki Savage 650 (good beginner bike) because it is not comfortable on long rides and there is some vibration above 55 mph. I was afraid that if I purchased the 400 (it being a single cylinder like my bike) that I would have similar problems.

I think though after hearing some of you talk about the 400 that I am beginning to feel a little better about buying one. Besides, for a "shorty" that probably would be the safer, smarter scoot to buy. But you know, sometimes in life don't you just want it all! :0)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I would suggest taking a test ride on the 400 before making the decision. I think you'll be surprised how comfortable of ride the 400 provides. I've ridding a couple of hundred miles with no problems.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
If you could not cope with a Majesty you will deffo not cope with a 650.

As Bill said try the 400 for size - you will not be disappointed. :)

BTW: Most experienced 650 riders will tell you that the manual option is the most redundant feature on the Bike and apart from trying it out when first getting the bike most never use it again.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Evelyn, try the 400. It does not vibrate like the Savage 650 and you can cruise at 70 without any difficulty or handling problems and still have passing ability. I would "guess" 400 would out accelerate the Savage 650 also. Anyone else have an option on the acceration comparison.

Something I did not mention in my last post. I have a 30" inseam. If I had a 28" inseam I would not feel real secure with the 650 in situations that were uncertain. But again, it depends on your confort level.

Another idea, thick soled boots.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Hey Eveyln

First, I'm a male 5'5" with a 26.5" inseam. I've ridden and owned, Silver Wing, Reflex, Honda Pacific Coast and now a Burgman. I can tell you, if you are willing to stretch a bit, you can ride any of them if you really want to. That being said, I can also say I was extremely impressed with the Honda 250 Reflex and the amount of power it has. So, I'd imagine a Burgman 400 would be more than enough power for almost anyone wanting to bop around town and/or cruise the highways.

Also, I've had a couple of friends who took their seats to local upholstry shops and had them cut down as much as possible. Each of them was very pleased with the results.

Finally, one of the other groups I belong to had a young lady who used the easiest solution of all -- she bought riding boots with a 2" foam heel.

Let us know what you do and how it works out for you.

Ride safe

·
Registered
969 Posts
Evelyn,

I just asked my wife what her inseam was (is). She said she didn't know. Is it uncommon for a grown woman to not know her inseam length? I'm really worried. :shock: :eek: :wink:

Okay then. She's a smidge over 5'2", evenly proportioned, and does just fine on the 650.

Steve

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Evelyn, come on up to mid-N.C., and you can take my 400 for an all day ride with our "Old Coot Club" of 3 400's and one Lardy with a non-coot rider.

We meet every wednesday for breakfast and ride anywhere from 100-200 miles. One of the guys has a Harley and he'd let me ride his 400 for the day. I've owned all sorts of cycles the past 30 years, and I assure you the 400 will exceed your expectations.

We've begun talking about riding to the Scootorcade thing out in Arkansas this summer...about 1000 miles. Have no qualms about the 400 doing long distance. Not all in one day with me on it tho! :lol:

Or find a used one, ride it a year, trade up if you don't like it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hi Evelyn,

I have a 400 burgman, I am 5'1", and inseam is 24". At first, I had problems holding up my 400, so I bought some boots with 3" heels. Now no problem.

I ride 200 - 250 day rides with a group of ladys on saturdays, my bike is pretty comfortable, :oops: (i also have plenty of cushion- "FAT"). The only problem I feel is in the thighs on long rides.

Now my husband has a 650 and he has a little butt, and complains of pain all the time even on short rides. I can not touch ground on the 650 at all even with my boots.

I truely love my 400, and it gets up and goes. The last ride we went on, a couple on another bike couldn't beleive how fast i could go. I left them in my dust. :lol: HA!HA!...

·
Registered
611 Posts
Evelyn,
if you really want the 650, then I'd say to go for it. I know the 400 should be enough for anyone - but that's not the point. I'd hate to see you get the 400 and WISH you had the 650. You can cut the 650 seat down and have it recovered at an uphosltery shop for much less than buying a Corbin seat. Find someone near you that has a 650 and is willing to remove the seat and let you sit on it (the dealer?). Bring a pillow or something to sit on - and see how the bike feels that way too you. If you're used to a Savage - then you should quickly get used to it.

The 2003/4 really have no differences other than color. I prefer the blue, but it's been discontinued - so parts matching could be harder later on...

·
Registered
498 Posts
roy_ryall said:
Evelyn, if you were uncomfortable with the Majesty, you want stick with the 400. Even if you trim the seat on the 650, I do not know how much it will help you putting your feet on the pavement. The 400 is much easier to walk and maneuver at slow speeds than the 650 because of the 650's added weight, seat height, and drive train drag. One's ability to deal with the seat height and inseam size seems to be somewhat based on the rider's comfort level with it. Some shorter inseam riders say they do not have any problems with the 650.

The 400 will handle longer rides without any trouble. It is a very capable bike.
This is extremely good insight here from Roy.

In addtion to this, thick soled boots are a very real option with big-scooters as there are no levers that you need to operate with your feet that require your boot to be of a certain size or shape. Platformed flat soled riders boots are one solution to this problem, as is the optional Low Seat from Suzuki Japan (US$400). However, I'd strongly recommend the 400. Smooth, comfortable, manouverable, and stylish, with similar luggage capacity to the 650 and not so distant performance, especially when ridden solo by a light rider.

I'd also recommend a second look at the Majesty 400 as it is the newest of the 400cc crop with the most advanced frame and suspension, stronger lighting and brakes than the AN400, and almost 10litres of extra luggage space in the trunk. Both are great bikes. Good luck.

·
Registered
611 Posts
The Majesty has a 60 liter under seat storage and the Burgman 400 has 55 liters of underseat storage. The difference I see is that the Burgman's under seat storage access is different (I'm not going to say better because that is subjective). The Majesty's passenger seat does not lift up with the rest of the seat as on the Burgmans. The passenger seat on the Majesty is also smaller and less padded. Don't get me wrong - I really like Yamaha and their vehicles. Some people will prefer loading the storage area from the side, and if you don't plan on carrying a passenger then the rear seat should be more of a style issue than anything else. I just want to exemplify that looking at the bikes in person will tell you things that looking at the numbers alone will not.

I highly recommend shopping around, and even recommend looking at a Piaggio X9 and an Aprilia Atlantic 500. Just be careful with the differences in the ways the manufacturers present their data. Check the items out in person, bring stuff with you that you plan on carrying with you (laptop, jacket, spare helmet, friend...) - and and make note of how the shapes of things feel to you. Actually sitting on a bike is critical to me before buying it. And to me the most important thing for helping you choose your next ride is to remind you that my opinion is ultimately less important than yours, and you should get what you want. :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Forgive me, I was thinking of the Honda S-Matic fitted Japan only 2004- Forza (Reflex)'s 63 litre's of trunk space. Either way, the extra luggage space that the Majesty has combined with the different shape and access means that you can carry a full face helmet under the seat at the same time as an A3 attache case - this is impossible with either the AN400 or AN650.

It is assumed that any new AN250/400 will move to this shape as it also means that you can carry the all-important golf clubs (key metric for luggage capacity of cars here in Japan) or indeed tennis rackets or baseball bats under the seat, without modification. This translates into greater capacity for carrying groceries, or camping stuff, etc.

All depends on intended personal use whether those metrics are important to the purchaser.

·
Registered
611 Posts
No need to be forgiven Lycheed. :)

I haven't seen that - but the Piaggio X9 in Singapore has the rear opening for golf clubs. Unfortunately we won't get that for the stateside version (not this year at least). My fiancee was real impressed with it when she was there a couple of months ago - but I haven't seen it. How about loading some links or pictures?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Singapore? That's over my way. They are almost as mad about golf as the Japanese.

Dedicated page on the Honda Japan website:
http://www.honda.co.jp/FORZA/

They have made it smaller than the 2000-2003 Forza/Reflex 250 world bike (that I own) and have taken the engine idle-stop function and ABS off the specifications list, but the speed sensitive amp, waterproof speakers, 6 speed fast shifting manual mode, 55/60W lights and 63litre trunk make up for that for those that are 5ft6ins tall. Sad this with all this these gadgets ABS is no longer available. This outsells the Majesty 250 and AN250 in Japan.

·
Registered
611 Posts
So many toys, so little money... I haven't been to Singapore or Japan in many years - but when I was there the Honda Cub was the vehicle that I saw everywhere. Ann said that there were scooters everywhere - and at least 10 times the selection that we have here. Maybe with fuel cost rising the manufacturers will send us some more of their models. Of course, other markets get a lot of bikes that we never see in the states, not just scooters. When I lived in England I had a Yamaha 750 XTZ Super Tenere (4 stroke twin enduro), and the RZ's were still available in 250's. I like the Japan only CB1300, but the CB400 super four really had me lusting. I live a few hours from Mexico, and they have bikes there that we can't get. My friends think I'm crazy because I can't make a trip there without stopping by a motorcycle shop. One of these days I'm sure I'll be bringing one back. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi all,

I've got a AN650 K4 and I am 5ft 4 1/2 ins tall. Got no probs with the 650.(it's the cut ins that make the difference).The girlfriends got the 400 Majesty and I cannot get on with it. Its too tall and the cut ins arn't quite in the right place for me. Mind you there is more foam in the seat to cut away to lower it if you want. One point with the Majesty when it rains water tends to collect in the BUM part of the seat. Now our gear is waterproof BUT it ain't immersion proof which meant she used to get a damp ass when it rained hard. She has now modified the seat (recut) so that the water drains away.. No probs. IF you want a twin with a low seat height the Silverwing is the one to go for. I tried one for 800kms both feet on the floor easily, but i didn't like the bike... :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts