Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At age 82 I was not surprise to suddenly get a lower backache. I have been riding my Burgman 650 for a number of years. When I first bought it I added a Utopia backrest and a gel seat cushion. The ride seemed very comfortable at the time. The suspension on a Burg is not the softest but other features more then out weigh the ride characteristics. I usually go on 150 mile rides with a group twice a week all year round. At first I tried to think what caused the backache. Kidney stones, a pinched nerve in my lower spine, arthritis or a combination of these things. My doc gave me an Rx for a muscle relaxer. After taking one pill last night half the pain is gone. I'll know in a week if it was just a strained muscle.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have had a bad back since I crushed 5 lumbar vertebra in a car accident in 1968 and the doctors said I shouldn't be able to walk. If I don't take medication, my back starts hurting in less than 50 miles. My doctor made a suggestion to me that really helps (you know you're old when your doctor is a classmate's daughter). She suggested that I take one Tylenol and 2 Naproxen before I ride. When I do that, I can normally ride all day without much pain. It might not work for you but it does for me.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Wish I could find something that worked for my hands.

Back aches a bit when I ride the ST1100 but I think that's related to the wider leg position.

Hands just kill me for anywhere from 1/2 hour to 2 hours - then fine the rest of the day. :confused:

At least with the Burgman one hand gets pretty well rested - gets annoying with the two clutched bikes:(

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm 81 but I haven't had to take pain killers very often when I ride. When I do I take an aspirin and if that doesn't take care of it within 20 minutes or so I stop and take another. I've never had to go beyond that. Of course, I've never had back problems or anything like that.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

At least with the Burgman one hand gets pretty well rested - gets annoying with the two clutched bikes:(
I solved that problem on my Burgman with a "Throttle Lock" installation. When you set it you just rest your hand on the right handlebar. In an emergency when you hit the front brake it automatically releases. Great cruse control.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She suggested that I take one Tylenol and 2 Naproxen before I ride. When I do that, I can normally ride all day without much pain. It might not work for you but it does for me.[/QUOTE]

A warning about taking Naproxen. There is no denying, it does work however after using it for awhile I noticed my bowels turned black. I started to bleed internally. They warn you about that on the wrapper. Have you ever listened to the announcer on TV when they warn you about taking certain products? They mean it! It also protects them from being sued.

I ended up in the hospital after fainting from lack of blood. I now take two Tylenol twice a day. Not as good but it is much safer.

·
Registered
207 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
THat happened to me last year after a 3 hour ride.. I have the stock deat with a bearcat backrest.. It was raining.. I was on I-95.. spped limit ++.. top speed (per GPS) 89 MPH.. I got off the bike and my lower back was in spasm and was that way for 2 weeks.. misery.. I figure I was tense riding at high speed in the rain through Providence in heavy traffic.. and I was bent over and very very focused and my back git tight and I didn't move before it got awful..

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have a ruined back from osteoporosis secondary to my Rheumatoid Arthritis. I have a Back-A-Line and it works to help but I also have a back brace from Mueller that I bought from Amazon that helps even more. I also have found that taking frequent breaks and stretching my back when off the bike helps. My Bearcat backrest probably helps as much as anything else. Lastly, taking my meds as prescribed by my docs for my RA pain makes riding tolerable for me. Sometimes it just comes down to how bad do I want to ride, and how comfortable do I want to be.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
She suggested that I take one Tylenol and 2 Naproxen before I ride. When I do that, I can normally ride all day without much pain. It might not work for you but it does for me.
A warning about taking Naproxen. There is no denying, it does work however after using it for awhile I noticed my bowels turned black. I started to bleed internally. They warn you about that on the wrapper. Have you ever listened to the announcer on TV when they warn you about taking certain products? They mean it! It also protects them from being sued.

I ended up in the hospital after fainting from lack of blood. I now take two Tylenol twice a day. Not as good but it is much safer.[/QUOTE]

I've never had a problem. You might have been taking more than me. I only take it once or twice a week since that is all of the long rides I normally go on (150-250). My biggest concern is the possibility of NASAIDS causing ringing in my ears. I have had ringing in my ears since before I have ever heard of Naproxen that the hearing aids I will get next week won't help.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
The older you get the more you need to stretch the lumbar region . As you age the disc deteriorate and compress causing pain , when you stretch those surrounding muscles out it relieves the pressure on the disc . I have blown disc in 2-3 3-4 and 4-5 and arthritis in 5 , a good stretch always helps me . Also , don't over do it physically hire some one to do the heavy lifting manual labor . In other words don't do things that will cause unnecessary inflammation . Before you get on your bike stretch one side of your lumbar / upper hip muscle out then the other side . This works much better than trying to stretch both sides at the same time , like a touch you toes stretch . Statistically if you live long enough 90% of us will wind up with lower back pain , part of the price of walking upright .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
A warning about taking Naproxen. There is no denying, it does work however after using it for awhile I noticed my bowels turned black.
Naproxen works great with sharp pains, but don't take it too often and take as little of it as you can get away with. It's not for every day use.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I have a throttle lock and certainly helps. But some days just brutal pain and twinging like nailing your funny bone.
Just have to grit my teeth and it eventually fades.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Huh. My doc recommended an Aleve a day if I needed it for the arthritis (he takes one a day himself). I guess I have black stool to watch for some day, lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Back aches a bit when I ride the ST1100 but I think that's related to the wider leg position.

Hands just kill me for anywhere from 1/2 hour to 2 hours - then fine the rest of the day. :confused:

I use a throttle rocker saves my hand and its only around ten dollars http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...er?SiteID=SLI|Throttle Control&WT.MC_ID=10010

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Huh. My doc recommended an Aleve a day if I needed it for the arthritis (he takes one a day himself). I guess I have black stool to watch for some day, lol.
I know some folks who have done the same thing for years without problem. Every medicine works differently on different people. I break out in hives and itch with any medicine that has codone in the name.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had surgery a few years ago - fused vertebrae - the back is pretty good now compared to what it used to be like. I recently fitted a Jac Vinson backrest and it is terrific. I have also had the hand problems but have finally fixed all of that with a combination of the throttle rocker (wrist rest) and the throttle lock as well. In my opinion you need them both for best results. So now, back pain and wrist and hand pain on long rides is a thing of the past! Just as well - I have an 8,000 Km trip planned in a few weeks!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I dont take quack medicines i find the old natural way the best and effective. I just take each mornig a 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper in small glass warm water. no pain, normal blood pressure and many other improvements to my health. Fortunately it cannot be patented, otherwise it would cost and arm and a leg.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a ruined back from osteoporosis secondary to my Rheumatoid Arthritis. I have a Back-A-Line and it works to help but I also have a back brace from Mueller that I bought from Amazon that helps even more. I also have found that taking frequent breaks and stretching my back when off the bike helps. My Bearcat backrest probably helps as much as anything else. Lastly, taking my meds as prescribed by my docs for my RA pain makes riding tolerable for me. Sometimes it just comes down to how bad do I want to ride, and how comfortable do I want to be.

Another thing I tried that seems to help is wearing suspenders. I have never wore suspenders before but I must admit it takes the pressure off the kidneys and lower back.When you're riding and bouncing on your bike the stomach seems to get bigger and your belt gets tighter. It's a cheap fix. Try it. It might work for you.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts