Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
It's amazing what you can do when you 'discover' how to manipulate the throttle and rear brake together. Takes a lot of practice to do that. A friend of mine is a county MC deputy. He's pretty good with his 1200 BMW. Not many cars will outrun him. A few have tried.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
This is how it is done on the Burgman 650 (not mine).
That's very impressive, but I wish he's do a similar one but this time with cameras pointing only at his two hands.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Something tells me there's no slack at all in his throttle cables. Someone asked if he was in 2nd gear; hadn't thought of that option. He sure did a heluva job.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Only the owner (or an Admin) can delete that comment. And since it's been there over a year, I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I can do these on my 400 but, find I must use the brakes a lot since, it doesn't have the pronounced engine braking of the 650 nor, the ability to select and stick to a gear. Anyone able to do this with a 400 without brakes?

When my wife took the MSC, she rode a scooter they supplied and, for the same reason had to ride the brakes on slow speed maneuvers. The instructor kept saying she shouldn't be using her brakes. He didn't seem to grasp that most scooter drivelines disengages at slow speed, where a MC can both accelerate and decelerate comfortably in granny gear.

Am I wrong, here? Is it I just need a lot more practice?:confused:

·
Registered
255 Posts
I used to practice this kind of riding on my Vstrom 1000. Now that I have my Burgman I am relearning the low speed stuff with the new riding position. What I found and if you look at the young man on the BMW is to look where you are going, not down at the front wheel. That little trick alone will help you immensely with driving at low speeds.
Greg

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I can do these on my 400 but, find I must use the brakes a lot since, it doesn't have the pronounced engine braking of the 650 nor, the ability to select and stick to a gear. Anyone able to do this with a 400 without brakes?

When my wife took the MSC, she rode a scooter they supplied and, for the same reason had to ride the brakes on slow speed maneuvers. The instructor kept saying she shouldn't be using her brakes. He didn't seem to grasp that most scooter drivelines disengages at slow speed, where a MC can both accelerate and decelerate comfortably in granny gear.

Am I wrong, here? Is it I just need a lot more practice?:confused:
You're not wrong, the instructor just was not used to scooters and how they operate.

The trick to doing these is to have the engine spinning at some speed. It produces a gyroscopic effect that keeps the bike up at slow speeds, or at least more maneuverable. MCs accomplish this by "riding the clutch" and some minimal braking, hence his comment about not using the brakes.

Scooters have an automatic clutch and therefore, cannot be "ridden". The only way to produce a similar effect is to give some small amount of gas to get the engine spinning and ride the rear brake to counteract the forward motion. I was able to use this with great effectiveness on an advanced MSF course. The instructor said he'd never seen anyone work a rear brake like that before. Of course it helps being hand mounted, instead of foot.

Give it a try some time. You'll be amazed how slow you can go without falling.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
ChipDoc, he is reported. As to the other poster commenting that the post has been there a year so nothing was going to be done about it, there are so many posts on Youtube it is likely that no one has bothered to report that comment until just a few minutes ago when I did.

Doug from Kentucky

1 - 11 of 11 Posts