Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to change my oil every 5000 miles and all other service including the oil every 10000 miles. I use Valvoline synthetic motorcycle oil which costs about half what other premium oil costs if you buy it at Walmart online. They no longer have it in their stores.

While passing 3600 miles on the odometer the low oil reminder light came on. I checked the oil lever and it is a hair below the full mark. It did go out after running about 3 minutes.

It never did this before. Is this normal?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Usually when mine comes on, the oil IS low and a top off does the trick. However my driveway is on an incline and when the oil is slightly low, I've had the "Check Oil" light come on at startup periodically; as soon as I get the bike level again, it goes out.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
is it coming on when you are at rest on a flat surface?

Mine sometimes comes on when I am on a steep hill and I am at a stand still and it has been at least 3500 miles since my last oil change. I usually add an ounce of oil the light goes away.

is it the low oil reminder of the service interval indicator which kicks in at 3600 miles or less depending on what you have set it to?

the oil level sensor is under the engine to the right behind your oil filter.

Mine got damaged after being struck by some road debris and I had to replace it. It was leaking oil from where the electrical cable is located.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
While passing 3600 miles on the odometer the low oil reminder light came on. I checked the oil lever and it is a hair below the full mark. It did go out after running about 3 minutes.

It never did this before. Is this normal?
Is the low oil level indicator coming on or is the oil change indicator coming on.

Not sure about the 2012 650 but on the earlier models the oil change indicator will come on every 3600 miles unless you change it to come on at an earlier mileage. 3600 miles it the longest interval you can set it for but you can set it for smaller intervals of miles.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The 3600 mile maximum interval is the same for the 2013 models as well.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have disabled my side stand switch & if I start the scooter on the side stand it shows low oil till I start riding.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
low oil indicator coming on

Is the low oil level indicator coming on or is the oil change indicator coming on.

It's the low indicator coming on. I already reset the oil change indicator.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts

It's the low indicator coming on. I already reset the oil change indicator.
In that case then no it is not normal. The oil level indicator is triggered by a float type sensor that screws into the bottom of the sump on the crankcase. It is possible that the float in yours just stuck and caused the indicator to come on. It's also possible the wire that connects to the sensor is loose. The indicator will come on if the connection to the sensor is lost. The other possibility is that the sensor is going bad. That it came on when you passed 3600 was probably just a coincidence.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I change mine at 4,000 mile intervals but I don't run synthetic oil. I run 15W-40 Rotella Dino oil.
Do you have any oil usage? My '09 I change around 2,600 miles and by that time the oil level light has come on. I've changed a while ago using the same oil, seems to run a bit quieter.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Do you have any oil usage? My '09 I change around 2,600 miles and by that time the oil level light has come on. I've changed a while ago using the same oil, seems to run a bit quieter.
Mine has used oil since it was new. It was bad enough that the dealer replaced the valve seals and rings under warranty at around 8,000 miles. That helped but did not completely stop it. I helped it a little more when I rebuilt the cylinder head at around 90,000 miles.

It has always used more oil when I am doing twisties riding and a lot of closed throttle deceleration than when I am running at constant highway speeds. Type of oil does not seem to affect it. At the time the warranty work was done I was using Suzuki oil. Since then I have tried several different oils including synthetic. I went to the Rotella 15W 40 at around 24,000 miles and have been using it since. I'm currently using a quart to 1.5 quarts between changes.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Mine has used oil since it was new. It was bad enough that the dealer replaced the valve seals and rings under warranty at around 8,000 miles. That helped but did not completely stop it. I helped it a little more when I rebuilt the cylinder head at around 90,000 miles.

It has always used more oil when I am doing twisties riding and a lot of closed throttle deceleration than when I am running at constant highway speeds. Type of oil does not seem to affect it. At the time the warranty work was done I was using Suzuki oil. Since then I have tried several different oils including synthetic. I went to the Rotella 15W 40 at around 24,000 miles and have been using it since. I'm currently using a quart to 1.5 quarts between changes.
Ok so it's not just me then. I had kinda wondered if the Bazazz fuel tuning (the took away fuel at low speed and added at higher speed) or Yoshi exhaust had some affect on it as it seems I can even smell oil out of the exhaust on occasion but that could just be due to the open pipe. It sounds about the same as mine figuring something just over .5 quart needed at 2,600 miles. I won't worry about it then, thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts