Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title reads, my Burgman exec low beam headlights are not working. High beams, passing flash are.
Can someone kindly advise where one can find the low beam, and high beam headlight fuses (AN650K7 2007 Executive model)?

Background, I have just bought (3 weeks ago) a very low mileage 2007 Burgman Executive and after just returning from a week long ride, during which I found that the accessory plug wasn't powering any of my devices up. So I took the time one morning this past week while waiting for riding companions to assemble outside one hotel to investigate just why there was no power from the accessory plug, I pulled the handle bar tupper-ware, and the top glove box tupper-ware too and placed all on the hotel parking lot. I found that there was no wiring to the male connectors for the back side of the accessory plug which explained why there was no power. I didn't have the right bits to do any remedial repairs so I buttoned everything back up and waited to attack the problem when I was back home.

Roll forward to today where I was trying to rewire the accessory lighter plug now that I have returned home, and have more tools etc and the time. While working out where to take power from, as I have no idea really where the power comes from ex-factory so I thought to use the headlights which are hard wired in, meaning the lights are on when the ignition is switched on. As stated I have no idea where the power was taken from initially (ex-factory), though I did find that there is a accessory fuse to the left of the lockable storage cubby, behind the removable snap in/out panel where a number of wires come together. The wires from that "accessory" fuse though descend down in behind the tupper-ware down toward the engine and there doesn't feel like any "give" on the wiring, which I checked just in case the wires may have descended down that way on their own.

Anyway while trying to find a live "powered with key on" connection and using the headlight connection plug I inadvertently must have crossed a couple of wires while working in the confined space as I heard the familiar "snap" that fuses make, when I placed one of my wires on the one of the headlight spade connectors. Now I have no low beam which were working up to that point. High beam, passing flash are still work fine as per normal. I checked the white wire up to the high/low switch, and it is fine, white wire is still soldered up, with appropriate connection (at the handlebar switchgear assembly). Also swapped out both halogen bulbs for another pair just in case it was the filament though that was and is not the problem as I swapped all bulbs with another motorcycle in the garage and they are good to go.

If someone can point me in the direction of where the high and low beam headlight fuses and what they look like (e.g. do they look like the typical spade fused connections found elsewhere on the scoot) as I cannot see anything resembling a fuse in the main wiring loom where both headlight bundles descend into. There is a single "mirror" spade type fuse around that area, and near fuse are two small rectangular wiring "blocks" white in colour with "black" snap off type tops. I have removed each of those thinking that they might be some type of fusible link. But when removed all the wires that connect through the small rectangular wiring "blocks" make a solder connection on the top side. Don't think these are the fuses referred to in this thread or elsewhere, or am I incorrect?

So any advice or heads up on where the elusive headlight fuses are? A couple of photos indicating their location would also be really helpful.

Cheers
BD

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The fuses are located in the left side of the dash, under a lid that is held by the lockable dash compartment door (the small lid will fly away if you open the door while riding)

More fuses are located under the left side of the seat, and will come into view when you open the seat.

[attachment=3:r30s82if]Fuse1.JPG[/attachment:r30s82if]
[attachment=2:r30s82if]Fuse2.JPG[/attachment:r30s82if]
[attachment=1:r30s82if]Fuse3.JPG[/attachment:r30s82if]
[attachment=0:r30s82if]Fuse4.JPG[/attachment:r30s82if]

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks EricDK.
All the fuses under the left side of the seat I found, but none relate to the headlights. The pictures you posted that show the panel to the left side of the lockable glove box are what I referred to in my post, where I was referring to the "accessory fuse" and associated wiring. I assume from your reply and accompanying photos then that the fuses I am looking for are contained within the container type items to the left of the accessory fuse? If so do I need to remove more of the tupper-ware to access these fuses, more than what I have done already. That being I have removed the handle bar shrouds, then the top section of the left and right glove box housing that allows access to the top of the forks, steering head, fork clamps etc. I guess I'm asking if I can access the fuse box holder without removing anything else?
Cheers for your help thus far.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
When you remove the lid, you you see this.
The fuse carrier has 2 rubber bushes marked with red.

Wiggle it out, turn down the top and see the covers clearly marked "FUSES"

[attachment=0:1s8ea029]fuse7.JPG[/attachment:1s8ea029]

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will answer my own question, as I went down to the garage and had another look at the assemble shown in EricDK's "fuse6.jpg" pic in his post above. I ended up sliding the two items shown in the picture that are to the left of the accessory fuse, off a metal "prong" which then allows access to the top of the fuse box. Once the lid is open the relevant fuses could be found, though unlike all the other fuses found round the burgy which are standard sized, these are mini spade fuses. Sure enough the 15A low beam fuse had blown, and once swapped out for the spare, I'm good to go.
So kudos EricDK for your response. Appreciate it!

Now I only have one question. Where is the accessory plug normally taking it's feed from ex-factory? Again pics would be really helpful. I don't have a manual as yet, but one has been ordered. If one was to tap into power for their accessory plug, where'd you likely take it from. Cheers again.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ErikDK said:
When you remove the lid, you get what you see in Fuse6.jpg

Just wiggle out the big black lump on the left, and you will see both covers clearly marked "FUSES"

[attachment=0:1dv5q8mt]fuse7.JPG[/attachment:1dv5q8mt]
Thanks EricDK, I got it. Sure enough it was the fuse. Interesting though that there are many fuses in many different locations on the burgy rather than just one strategic location. Makes for interesting fault finding!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ErikDK said:
It's because all the fuses in the fuse box above are fed from the poor ignition switch.
I get it, but with a little bit of forethought and thinking outside the box, Suzuki with all their wisdom and R&D dept., could of and should have come up with a better solution IMO. It seems somewhat short sighted that all manner of fuses are scattered in so many different locations around the scoot, some of which require tupper-ware removal to access. Sure, I appreciate that few of these fuses will likely need any attention, the issue is that fuses are designed as an easy access fusible link solution to electronics behaving badly. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
It would just add many meters of cable to the wiring loom, with even more voltage drop than the already substantial.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
start with the simple stuff, the filament on the lower beams wear out first on the halogen bulbs...

take the out and check them... unusual for both to go out at the same time but if your high beams are working, it's a good indication that the low beam filaments are gone.

if the bulbs aren't defective, they check the contact points on the switch on the handlebar and check the H4 connectors for the bults.

check my burgman center if you don't know how to get to the bulbs... you will have to remove some tupperware.

good luck

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LeDude said:
start with the simple stuff, the filament on the lower beams wear out first on the halogen bulbs...

take the out and check them... unusual for both to go out at the same time but if your high beams are working, it's a good indication that the low beam filaments are gone.

if the bulbs aren't defective, they check the contact points on the switch on the handlebar and check the H4 connectors for the bults.

check my burgman center if you don't know how to get to the bulbs... you will have to remove some tupperware.

good luck
Appreciate your time in replying. Problem of the low beam headlights not working has been solved. It was the low beam 15A fuse. As stated I knew it was the fuse, as I heard it make the typical snap/crack sound when it blew, while I was placing a supplement wire across one of the connectors of the headlight connector block which I'd disconnected from the left side headlight. I was trying to find a switch-able live wire to connect to the cigarette lighter plug as for whatever reason there are no wires connected to it (outlined in my first post). Right at this moment, I'm determining how to wire up the aforementioned plug. I will also be upgrading the single tone horn.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
You will find a whole load of individual fuses behind the leg shield (the large piece of Tupperware with the headlights in).

It would have been nice if they had applied a bit more thought and brought them into one panel up front and another panel near the mid section of the scooter.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Spot on NormanB. It would certainly be helpful to have fuses more centralised on the Burgy in one or two locations. Makes fault finding much easier.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cigarette lighter accessory plug wiring

Now I only have a couple of questions.

Where is the standard cigarette lighter accessory plug wiring normally taking it's feed from ex-factory? Pics would be really helpful. I have no wires to the 2 male connectors on the back of the cigarette lighter plug, so have no idea where the power is meant to come from. Now that I have found where the headlight fuses are though I'm thinking about piggy backing the power/positive wire from this fuse box. Another question is, which one of the male connectors on the back of the cigarette lighter plus is the positive?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts