Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Along with the ever changing and exciting problems that come with age I am having a lot of low back and leg pain issues since i got my Burgman 4k miles ago.
I have had low back issues most of my life but i can usually manage it and it comes and goes .
I gave up riding cruiser style motorcycles for that primary reason. The riding position causes me to slump even wearing a Back-Aline belt.

I recently switched the Burgman seat for one of Cary Vincent's and it's better , but i can still barely stand up and walk after 150 miles, I have been wearing the Back Aline belt , doing all the stretching exercises i know about, but it's getting seriously painful.

I can feel a lump of a muscle on the left side down low, so I am going to the doctor on Monday about this and a couple other issues.

Anyone got any suggestions how they fixed their problem ( I know I am not alone in this ) :cry:

If I cannot get it right i may be selling and buying a Miata :?

·
I'm Retired
9,371 Posts
I read everyone's posts about getting a back rest and also noticed some of the riders sitting straight up in their seats. So one day, I decided to move the butt-rest forward and give it a try. Two days later, I went back to where it had been before because of the back pain.

I don't know what riding posture you use, but I've found a "sport touring" posture works best for me. I have the butt-rest positioned back just far enough that I'm leaning slightly forward to the handlebars. What happens then is when the rear wheel hits a bump, the bike moves up, but since my spine isn't vertical, but off a few degrees, the shock isn't transferred into it.

If you're sitting straight up and down, the only place that shock from the bumps can go, is directly into your spine.

Chris

Reactions: ducati14

·
Registered
46 Posts
You may have a slipped disc in your lower back. If so before they talk you into surgery go to a chiropractor first. I have a couple of friends that did the surgery and it did not work for them.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I had lower back pain issues when I was running a stock seat. A back rest helped but did not completely solve the issue. Part of the issue is I have long legs so I was cramped on the bike. I went to a Corbin long seat so I could sit further back on the bike. I adjusted the backrest on it so it supported my back when I was leaning slightly forward so I could reach the bars which were now further away. That stopped the lower back pain but I started to get pains up between my shoulder blades. I installed a set of risers that raised the bars up 1 inch then I rotated them back toward me. The end result was the bars were at about the same height as stock but slightly closer to me and I held on to them at a different angle. The combination solved the upper back pain issues.

That's a long explanation but what I'm trying to show with it is you may just need to do some experimenting with changing how the bike fits you until you get it in the sweat spot that works for you.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Sorry...........but I disagree with every single poster!!! None of you are familiar with the OP's medical history...previous back injuries? .....spinal surgery?....... or even a congenital birth defect.?? To make an assumption that the source of his back/leg problems stem from riding any 2 -wheeled vehicle is outrageous.

This is what is known in the healthcare business as a "TELEPHONE DIAGNOSIS".....!!! And I speak from 39 years of experience in the healthcare field as an optometrist. Frequently.in an effort to save money - people will call my office and tell me......."My eye is red and can you prescribe something for me.??" I ask, "Do you have iritis?" Caller - "what is iritis.???" Me - "Do you have conjunctivitis? Caller - "I don't know. What is conjunctivitis?" Me - "Do you have glaucoma?" Caller - "I don't know . What is that?" Me - "Do you think you have contact dermatitis?" Caller - "Huh............?" Me - "Why don't you come into my office so I can EXAMINE YOUR EYE..??" Caller - "i thought that you could prescribe something for me without seeing you...................................."

My professional opinion is that the OP should start by seeing an orthopedic surgeon....and really not ask for any advice on this forum... No matter how well intentioned the responders may be.

·
Administrator
20,114 Posts
Time to be a Debbie Downer. As we grow older things just don't work like before. The back hurts, eyes don't focus as well, and so on.

I have a fellow worker that was 57 years old doing installs for Fios TV-Internet-Phone. We lug lots of equipment around daily. His lower back was giving him fits real bad. He had a 1800 Honda Valkyrie and was very limited to how long he could ride. It went on for about 1 year then one day he could not go poop. Off to the doctors. Many tests later it was found to be the BIG C, COLON CANCER. He had never had a colonoscopy. NEVER! He said he was one of the ones "That let it embarrass him to death". Total removal of the colon and such but it was too late, 5 months later he passed.

Sorry but over 50 years old, get it done on schedule. My father passed the same way at 86, never had a colonoscopy. A year sitting on a bed, pooping in a bag and he never asked me if I was getting checked, NEVER, not once. Because of that, I get snaked every 2 years. I am not too embarrassed to ask my friends to do the same. My oldest sister will not go get one. I have asked her many times. C'e la vie! If this embarrasses you, GOOD! GET IT DONE.

Reactions: ducati14

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
AMEN......to that word of advice......!!!! Dave-J :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Some people sure think funny. They work hard all of their lives ( that is the hard part) so that they can retire or just cut back on hours working. But... after all of that hard work, they refuse to do the easy part ( preventive health measures). I do everything I can so I can perhaps stick around to enjoy my retirement but as the saying goes - u can lead a horse.............Sometimes - little things can help back problems somewhat. I use 2 pair of the dr. scholl's lower back pain insoles.. when I brush my teeth , I support my weight with my free hand to help take the pressure off of the lower back. When I get out of bed, I kinda roll over then plant my feet firmly so as not to raise myself up with my back muscles. Good luck with ur back problem and keep us posted.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
You want to start by consulting a physician to rule out any illnesses or physical handicaps
caused by a chronic condition.

Customizing the scoot to fit your riding needs is the easy part.

The 650 offers a very neutral riding position with plenty of leg room to stretch.

Good luck and all the best. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
LeDude said:
The 650 offers a very neutral riding position with plenty of leg room to stretch.
Depends on the length of your legs :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I totally agree with V8eyedoc and others who recommend that you submit yourself to a clinical professional to exclude any underlying pathology.

However once you clear that hurdle I would just offer this. For most of us, and accepting that age may be an issue, spinal symptoms like this are multi factorial and we do abuse our spines either from incorrect lifting techniques, overloading (common with grunts who have done amazing feats of endurance with 80lb packs on their packs and then closed with the enemy to deliver cold steel) or just plain bad posture, slouching at work in front of a PC, slouching at home watching TV or hunched over a laptop. Combined with that of course is a tendency to be overweight and sedentary with poor spinal musculature. We then wonder why our back hurts when we jump on a bike and after ride 150 miles - the truth is your spine is telling you that your are abusing it (it was the last straw that broke the camel's back).

However all is not lost, losing weight, addressing the posture issue and doing targeted and specific exercises to sort out the spinal group muscles (which a good physio can advise on) will improve matters all round. But go see your physician first. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I feel your pain and have a similar history with lower back pain (L-3 thru L-6) and leg pain. :?
It has kept me off many bikes do to riding position and the pain it causes. I can't throw a leg over any more either. :cry:
The funny thing is that the 400 is the only bike I have found that allows me to ride for 3-5 hours and not suffer for it. :D
I did add a sheepskin pelt for a bit of added comfort but changing the angle of the buttrest helped me out the most.
It changed the pressure point off the lower back area (L-6, S-1) and moved it up closer to the L-1 area which does help me out a lot.
I just added some washers behind the top bolts to shim the buttrest and change it's angle (top pitched more forward).
Every back issue is different just ask any Orthopod and even though this works for me it may not for you but it is a very cheap thing to try.
Good Luck with your back! :thumbup:

·
Registered
183 Posts
15 yrs of climbing poles for Ma Bell destroyed my right knee and hip and damaged the curvature of my spine. It was that and the feeling of youth that I was invincible and bulletproof. Now I can't throw my leg over a regular bike, but I can and do ride my Burgman 650 for hours at a time. It hurts to get on and I sometimes can't walk after a long ride but the variety of leg and seating positions combined with the drivers backrest makes it tolerable to ride. Stretching exercises are a lifesaver. My other option is to stop riding or get hip/knee replacements which may stop me from riding themselves. I'm 60 and have abused my body my whole life and now I'm paying the price.

I totally agree with all who urge medical attention and testing at the first sign of or before problems arise. That would seem to be common sense, right?

All I'm sure of now is that eventually something is going to kill me and due to my medical history I'm fairly sure I know what it will be. I intend to enjoy myself as much as possible until then. Thank God for our Burgman...without it I'd be sidelined...and thank God for modern medicine because without it I'd already be pushing daisies.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Guys, give Doug a little credit. He is not asking for medical advice. What he is asking is that since he is new to the Burgman group, is there something that he might be missing that he needs to try. He has been to the doctor many times, but had such a bad itch after riding a Burgman that he bought it. Now he is to the point that he may not be able to ride anymore. He is actually looking for some home remedies for the Burgman.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have been battling back pain since I crushed 5 lumbar vertebra in 1968 and the doctors couldn't understand why I could still walk. I have tried many things over the years. If I jump on my Burgman or BMW and ride, my back will start hurting within 25 or 30 miles. However, if I take a generic Tylenol and 2 naproxen before I start my ride, I can ride all day with little or no pain. My doctor recommended the Tylenol and naproxen combination for my back pain (the combination is in many expensive painkillers).

·
Administrator
20,114 Posts
osbornk said:
I have been battling back pain since I crushed 5 lumbar vertebra in 1968 and the doctors couldn't understand why I could still walk. I have tried many things over the years. If I jump on my Burgman or BMW and ride, my back will start hurting within 25 or 30 miles. However, if I take a generic Tylenol and 2 naproxen before I start my ride, I can ride all day with little or no pain. My doctor recommended the Tylenol and naproxen combination for my back pain (the combination is in many expensive painkillers).
That combo is what got me thru my Dec 07, 2010 accident. Tylenol is a bad drug if you over do it. It will kill your liver and should never be taken if you drink much alcohol. It is metabolized in the liver where Naproxen is metabolized in the kidneys. You should not mix any two drugs that metabolize in the liver at the same time in large doses. Taking two 500 mg Acetaminophen and two Naproxen and drinking a beer or two has caused me to have "Fatty Liver Disease" or Fat noduals growing inside my liver.

I am not a doctor, nor did I ever play one, Well maybe back when I was 11 and the girl next door (12) was my Nurse. :twisted:

I am in the same league as momule,
momule said:
15 yrs of climbing poles for Ma Bell destroyed my right knee and hip and damaged the curvature of my spine. It was that and the feeling of youth that I was invincible and bulletproof.
Over 30 years climbing poles, 15 years in the military, up to 90 foot antenna poles daily when in my 20's and now 17 years with GTE-Verizon-Frontier and also doing tree service for friends and neighbors. I only have to climb about 2 times a month but then its like 3-4 different poles in one day.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So off i went to the canker mechanic this morning ;

We talk, he lays the magic hands on , a bit of hmm and ha , well what do you think doc ?

He says the muscle is in spasm and the lump that moves around when you push on it is probably some sort of a fatty tissue build up.
He wants me to take a pain med ( as needed) and a muscle relaxant at night for a couple weeks.
Did the usual range of motion and strength tests, reflex stuff. Nothing stands out .
Gave me a set of exercises to do daily , when the pain subsides.

If it persists we can do an xray or try to get medicare to pay for an MRI ( yea , like that's going to happen in my lifetime )

At my young age of 69 ( in August) and for as much as i have been beaten around in my life ( tanks in the Army, road race crashes etc) I guess i should not be surprised at this juncture .
He gave me the standard , well if you would give up motorbikes and all that crapola :lol:
He knows that went in one ear and out the other :roll:

So I guess I'll just wax on the Lardy for a few days and see how it goes.
Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions,
Doug

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Might try removing the wallet from your back pocket. I had that problem when driving - until the doc asked to see my wallet. I pulled it out of my back pocket, and he looked at the thickness of it and said, 'take it out of your pocket when you drive/ride", your pain will go away. Once I removed my wallet when I got into a vehicle, I no longer had any low back/leg pain or butt numbness. LOL

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
QuantumRift said:
Might try removing the wallet from your back pocket. I had that problem when driving - until the doc asked to see my wallet. I pulled it out of my back pocket, and he looked at the thickness of it and said, 'take it out of your pocket when you drive/ride", your pain will go away. Once I removed my wallet when I got into a vehicle, I no longer had any low back/leg pain or butt numbness. LOL
THAT.........is what is known as "Wallet Ass" by many doctors......seriously!!!! That thick wallet presses on the sciatic nerve causing inflammation and pain running down the leg.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts