Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guy's
My mates and me all like to have a good chatter while we are riding our machines.What do you guy's use to talk to bike to bike.We want somthing that is not going to cost the earth to buy??????

Paul

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Radio's

Many will modify a Cobra HH37ST 40 CH. CB RADIO to work. You can
hook this radio up to the bike's power. I used the earphones that hook
over the top of the ears. In this fashion, they wont fall out of the ears
when you put your helmet on. You can find these radio cheap on
Ebay.

I think the smaller FRS radio should work in the same fashion and will be
a whole lot smaller.

Some companies offer adaptors to allow a push button transmit.
Some offer interface kits for radios, cbs, cell phones.
http://www.airrider.com/

None of these radio's will work if there is a lot of wind noise in your
helmets. Iv'e tried it. To hear anything, the buffetting needs to be
minimized.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I don't know what's legal in the UK, but in the US -- as long as you don't need rider-to-passenger intercom, music, GPS, etc. all tied into the system -- the easiest and least expensive way to get bike-to-bike communications is to get Family Radio Service (FRS) transceivers. The Motorola Talkabout is one well known brand.

Some models require a Push-to-Talk (PTT) switch on the radio itself or on an extension cable to be pressed in order to talk, while others will work with a built-in Voice Activated Switch (VOX) controlled transmiter. Some models even use a bone-conduction microphone built into the earpiece rather than a seperate boom mic on a headset. Those are great for use on a bike; just put the earphone in your ear, put on your helmet, and you're ready to go.

More advanced (and more expensive) units operate on the General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) band that allows more legal power for greater range, and the top of the line models will work on either band.

Again, I don't know what's legal in the UK, but a visit to an electronics store should get you the relevant information. No need to go to a motorcycle shop where the prices are likely to be higher for motorcycle-specific gear, when Radio Shack or equivelant will do for a start.

HTH.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts