Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking around as an unregistered user since March when I got my 2005 650. I've learned so much from this community I decided to join it for real! :)

I'm Mercedes, I'm from northeast Illinois and I eat, sleep, and breathe all things with a motor and wheels. I picked up a Burgman 650 back in March and whenever it works without giving me trouble it's easily one of my favourite of my 7 bikes. It has 79,xxx miles on the odometer with the current engine/trans unit only having 40,000 miles. The original CVT failed at 78,000 miles. Previous owner decided to just replace the unit rather than repair the CVT.

I work with computers for a living and work on cars for fun, so motorcycle DIY is fun and easy to me.

My Burgie first started giving me trouble the day I bought it. I bought it in Allentown PA and was to ride it back home to Illinois. I made it to the western edge of Pennsylvania before the rear tire decided holding air was too hard of a job. I ended up hauling it the rest of the way home in the back of a U-Haul.

For those 300 or so miles though? Loved every minute. These scoots have effortless power and sometimes I found myself cracking triple digits if I wasn't paying attention. It's way more comfortable than my old 1980 Goldwing was.

I've been spending most of spring and summer away from home, so the scooter sat for about three months without being ridden. I finally took it out three weeks ago and it's kinda been rough riding.

On the first day I made it about 10 miles from home before it started hiccuping on takeoff, eventually triggering the FI light and running poorly. I thought maybe I forgot to use fuel stabilizer, so I got fresh fuel. No change.

I got home and through this forum I learned the coils can come off the plugs, so I made sure to push both down extra hard. It rode the next 130 miles without issue.

Couple days ago the running issues returned, starting with hiccups on acceleration then poor running with the FI light on.

I decided to just replace both coils and both plugs. The plugs looked gnarly and while the coil on the left side (the easy side to reach) looked good, the coil on the right looked as bad as the plug it wasn't really holding onto.

Two new plugs and two new coils in and wow, this thing is even faster than when it was in March... but once again I only made it ten miles before poor running and FI light.

I've jumped the connector and the code is C25 (just C25, not with C24). By my understanding, this means it's not getting power from Coil 2 (the harder side to reach). But with both coils being brand new I'm stumped.

Tomorrow I'm going to swap the coils around and see if the error changes to C24. If it does that means I have a defective coil. If it doesn't then I know I must have a wiring issue somewhere.

Sorry for the wall of text!

And no worries, I'm not going to be one of those bump and run types. I love being a productive member of these types of communities :)

·
Registered
884 Posts
Welcome. Good to see you are happy to get your hands oily. May i recommend you purchase a stop and go tyre repair kit and a mini compressor saved me many times when getting punctures. Hope you resolve your running issues

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Welcome and good luck! Looks like you know what you're doing -- keep us posted. :)

·
Premium Member
8,323 Posts
my daughter is also a gearhead, if a tool can fix it , she will attempt it! She tried fixin her husband with a rubber mallet once, probably the wrong tool. Welcome , and definitely looking forward to hearing about your fix for this amazing bike.

Reactions: Miss Mercedes

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
After swapping coils give it a serving of SeaFoam thru the gas tank
and let this site be your friend :

“And no worries, I'm not going to be one of those bump and run types. “ 😂. you say that now that your Burgman Stalls.🤣

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the welcome!

For a little update, it's definitely only running on 1 cylinder at all times now. On the old coil it was sporadic. I'm hoping the new coil is just defective and not anything too interesting like fishing through the wiring harnesses. Guess I'll find out for sure this week when I return to playing around with it.

Welcome. Good to see you are happy to get your hands oily. May i recommend you purchase a stop and go tyre repair kit and a mini compressor saved me many times when getting punctures. Hope you resolve your running issues
After the somewhat harrowing experience of sitting on the side of a deserted highway you bet I definitely am now! Onboard I have the tools required to remove either wheel, a small compressor, and some sealant. Can't even do that with the nonexistent storage of my other bikes. :)

·
Registered
884 Posts
Spray the exhaust headers to see which one is being obstinate. Check the plug is fully seated. Check the coil is fully seated. Both coils are on the same circuit. Also be worth seeing if you have a spark by grounding the plug on cam cover. I found by taking the two bolts out on the hinged side of the rad access is easier. Just dont stretch the rad hoses

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
Life is short.....Get this Burgman running and then sell it and your baby H.D. then buy yourself a low mileage B650 and quit swinging on the vine and enjoy the 🍇.

Oh Lord ....let her know
that her new found friends
are here to help her
to make .....some amends

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh I'm definitely selling the baby Harley soon enough. :) I got it for a "too cheap to pass up" price and unless I manage to wreck the thing I'm basically guaranteed to make money on it.

I think I'll make a reliable bike out of the B650 once it's running right. Can't be worse than my high mileage German cars! :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
Oh I'm definitely selling the baby Harley soon enough. :) I got it for a "too cheap to pass up" price and unless I manage to wreck the thing I'm basically guaranteed to make money on it.

I think I'll make a reliable bike out of the B650 once it's running right. Can't be worse than my high mileage German cars! :ROFLMAO:

You Go Girl so Get That Bike up to Snuff and a matching Mask for your Prom Dress !

The Virus has cooled everything down but Scooter Folks Fly By the Seat of Their Pants so there will be some Die Hards still coming .....

I’ll be coming the same distance from the South West.

·
Premium Member
8,323 Posts
Caution, Flying by the seat of your pants can leave the control stick rather messy!

·
Premium Member
14,251 Posts
A suggestion on reaching the right side coil. Instead of just taking the bolt on the left out and swinging the radiator open like a door also take the hinges on the right loose. Then you can move the radiator forward and down to gain more clearance. You don't have to take any of the hoses loose but if you take the small overflow hose loose up by the filler neck you gain a little more movement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts