Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love this Burgman 650, the only thing is that I cannot seem to get around the cones to get my license. There is not enough steering ratio, does anyone else have this issue? Oh by the way my name is Heidi and I am from Nashua NH

·
Registered
969 Posts
Hi Heidi from Nashua, and welcome. I've been riding for years and years, and if I had to take that test again, I'd try to find a friend with the smallest qualifying dual-purpose bike or scooter that I could. If that's not possible, all that's left is to practice, practice, practice (which, as it turns out, is quite beneficial anyway :) ). It can be done. It's just really difficult to do on the BiggerBurger.

Steve

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi Heidi,
The previous comment was dead -on.
I hadn't ridden a motorized two wheeler in 40years.
I practiced for weeks at the DMV and passed the riding test on a Vespa ET-4 (150cc) without any problem.
I went back just for fun with the 650. The cones were not a problem, but I had one heck of a time getting around that 20' circle we have to do in CA.:oops:
Taking the ridding test on a smaller bike/scoot is really the answer. :)
GinDrinker
:D

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I went to an empty shopping center and used marking paint and created an exact copy of the course. In Ohio you cannot practice on the DMV course, but they will let you measure the course. It was pretty simple after practicing awhile. I passed it on the 650 and my wife passed using her 400.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the forum. Good luck with your cone practicing.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums Heidi . Glad to have you join us.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Provincetown said:
I love this Burgman 650, the only thing is that I cannot seem to get around the cones to get my license. There is not enough steering ratio, does anyone else have this issue?
Greeting, Heidi! Welcome to the ICOBO. :hello2:

Yeah, the 650 can be a bear to maneuver in tight spaces. It actually does have a tight enough steering ratio, but it's so heavy that it takes a lot of practice to move slow enough to use all the steering without having to put your feet down.

With practice it can be done. It helps to drag the rear brake a bit so you can keep enough power on that the clutch doesn't disengage, and then go very slow.

Try practicing in a wide open area with no cones or markers for a while first. Don't try to make a predefined tight turn, just make it as tight as you can, and with each attempt try to make it just a little tighter than the previous one. You can also try "power walking" it, with feet down at first, until you have a good idea of just how tight you can go.

Eventually you'll be making tighter turns than are needed to get through the cones.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Welcome Heidi! That stupid cone thing got me on the "skills" test also, but here you can mess up once or twice and still pass - as long as you don't rack up too many "detriment" points. I agree with what the others said tho. Let us know how it goes!
Pete

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Heidi,
Welcome to the forum. I'm from NH also but live in Texas now. I used to keep my scoot at Hampton Beach. All you need to do is borrow a smaller scoot to pass the test or practice with your 650 until you get it down. Are you on the Cape now, the best place to have your 650. Good luck.
Happy Trails,
Poppy

·
Registered
194 Posts
Another scoot from NH...Hi Heidi

Hi Heidi,
I live in Rochester,(another female rider) hopefully we can get some rides together, I have another friend (he rides a Yamaha Majesty) from Somersworth,NH and another scooterer ( he rides a Honda Silverwing) from Rowley Mass, both guys are very nice . I too would have borrowed a small scoot for the test, but I practiced the hell out of the course in Rochester, I found the way I got it under control, was to figure out just enough gas on the throttle to get my butt around the cones...I did pass, but I was on the 400, not the 650......Good Luck and hope to ride to the lakes and etc with ya! Diana

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
License in NH

I am so nervous about this test. I have basically learned two things so far. One is that a 650 is bigger than I am and two that thing is heavy!! lol I tried to save it from falling twice while practicing the cones and U-turn for the license test. Wow did that ever pull my back out. I need to get this license by May 13th!! and they only do the test on Wednesdays.. any help out there. I live in Nashua NH and drive a Burgman 650 (my very first bike) :lol:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Re: License in NH

Heidi.
do you think you could do it on the 400?? if so, and you would be willing to come to the rochester DMV to take the test, i would let you take it on my scooter, ( as long as you don't drop it lol) Diana

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where

Where us Rochester? About how far is that from Nashua do you know? What day of the week do they have their exams?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I took the motorcycle safety course which, in Texas, waives having to take the DMV/DPS riding test. When I lived in Las Vegas they had the test taken 'out back' of the DMV by a DMV tester/examiner. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you

Everyone has been so helpful in learning how to ride this bike.
Thanks again
Heidi

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got my license on the 650 Burgman!!

Hi all,

I just took the test this morning and I have passed!! Woo! Hoo!!!
Practice, practice, practice...and I finally made it!
Thanks everyone for all your thoughts and help.

Heidi

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Congratulations!
I still have my test to do, but I'm taking the MSF beginner course next week, and if I successfully complete the course, I don't have to take the exam at the DMV.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Way to go Heidi - I am pleased for you!

Enjoy - and stay safe. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts