Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So can anyone tell me why I get lousy mpg outa both my Burgmans? :p

Average = Total Miles Run /Total Fuel pumped = (See me sig for both )

Best on the Lardy = 47 mpUSg
Worst on the Lardy = 36.6 mpUSg

Best on the Svelte = 57 mpUSg
Worst on the Svelte = 44.9 mpUSg

I thought I was taking it pretty easy on the Lardy too! :cry:

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
I usuall got 60-65 on my 400,
and get about 46 in late fall and 49-50 in summer on my 650. Worst was 41, best 53) All US Gal.

Have you always had the same mileage?

How heavy on the throttle? could cost 5 mpg

Oil weight? too heavy could cost 2 mpg

Standard or Synthetic? could cost 1-2 mpg

Short runs (10 miles or less)? Could cost 4-5 mpg Longer runs at speed (70 mph) I get better mileage than, short hops around town. The more stop signs. the worse mileage

Higher Octane fuel dosen't always give better performance. I actually get better mileage using 87 octaine

I found the higher the Temp. the better the mileage. 3-5 mpg, summer over late fall. Oil's thinner I guess.

That's all I can think of right now

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Norm - I get 47 - give or take. Seems about "average" for the lard. IMO, easy 60/65 mph highway cruising should result in 50 or better.

Or better yet howabout the 281 mph.... Acabion Road Streamliner... 50mpg at 150mph?

http://www.d4center.ch/content/2000_MIE ... n.cfm?L=EN

Uh, you DID say you had an extra 500,000 euros hanging around eh?! :D

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I would guess that the down side of the Malossi on the 400 is that higher revs per mph translates into higher fuel comsumption.

Your 650 mileage sounds like what most riders are reporting.

Simplest variables to consider (as if you didn't know them) rpms, tire pressure, local geography, level of aggressiveness in riding, use of the throttle to overcome engine braking, stop and go vs highway, etc.

I'll bet you can add to that list. :lol:

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Norm, with about 8200 miles on my 2005 Burg 400: worst 57 mpg best 63 mpg. Set up your video camera, secretly record your bikes at rest and maybe you'll discover a perpitrator transferring fuel to their gas powered margarita maker! Neal

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
My worst was 38 mpg, best was 61 mpg. Just the variance in where the gas pump clicks off can skew these readings though, so I tend to throw out the highest & lowest readings. My current average seems to be about 45 mpg, and that is with a Clearview XXL windscreen and a Givi E52 top box. I consider that to be acceptable. The XXL windscreen does hurt mileage, but it sure makes the ride more enjoyable.

I spent the morning blasting through twisties in the Loess hills, in Power mode most of the time. Bad for mileage, but good for my soul. I bought it for fun, I ride it that way. It will get whatever mileage it gets under those circumstances. If I got my kicks from high mpg readings, I'd ride differently.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Just got my 4000 mile service 3 weeks ago on the 650. I was getting 47.5 mpg. After the service the mpg went to 49-51 mpg mostly on the highway. Doesn't make any since. Just oil and filter change and tighten up some nuts and bolts? Last tank city and highway 46 mpg? Just ride for the fun and forget the mileage.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Norm,

Take that carb off the 400 and replace it with one from your weed wacker! Mileage will be outstanding! Hills might be a problem.

Thanx,
Russ

I just fill 'em when they are empty.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Mileage on the 650 (2005 with overdrive and used alot on a weekend trip) was 63 mpg (imperial gallons) and worst in the city at 48 mpg's. The 400 is much better at 75 best and haven't bothered finding out my city riding mileage. I'm rather tame and smooth so mileage is probably better than most.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Norm,
I have a 2005 650. I have a tad over 2k miles on it. I'm averaging ~ 52 mpg. I don't ride it real hard, most of my riding is highway, back and forth to work. If I'm on a fairly long trip, I put it in manual then switch it over to OD.
I will tell you this, at my 600 mile service, they did put in synthetic, said it would make a big difference. I guess it did. I seem to be getting good mileage, even with my wife on the back.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You know, I just don't pay attention to MPG. I really couldn't care less. I know that with about 5-7 dollars I fill up the Majesty's tank (premium) and that suites me fine. But what do I know? I'm just a spoiled American having fun on his touring scooter! :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the feedback Guys - appreciated.

I filled up last night on the way home sand after posting last night I thought I am going to 'cruise' for a tankful.

Set out for work this morning and 'cruised' once I was on the highway at 66 (indicated) - it is only 10 miles to work so what the hell.

Coming home this evening I merged and sat at 66 but after a couple of minutes thought what the hell and did the rest at around 90 indicated - its only money! :twisted:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Say you average 50mpg on your carb.'d 400 vs. 65 mpg on a EFI'd, and average 5,000 travel miles per year. The difference is about, what, 23 gallons per year? What's that, even @ 6 bucks a gallon? NOTHING.

Ride it like you stole it Norm.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:laughing3:

Bleeder we just have to meet up some day! :lol:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Mileage

I have 1600 miles on my type S, and have never done worse than 64 mpg. Mostly city driving, and a few freeway miles. I don't baby it either. I think the Type S does so well is because of the lower drag from the windshield. I weigh about 215, so to bike doesn't have it all that easy. I'm going to put a bigger windshield on this fall, so that should be an interesting comparison on mpg..

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
The only way I found to increase fuel mileage was to ride 2 up. I get way better gas mileage this way. Guess I'm alot smoother and less agressive when I have someone elses life at stake.

·
Registered
270 Posts
NormanB said:
So can anyone tell me why I get lousy mpg outa both my Burgmans? :p

Average = Total Miles Run /Total Fuel pumped = (See me sig for both )

Best on the Lardy = 47 mpUSg
Worst on the Lardy = 36.6 mpUSg

Best on the Svelte = 57 mpUSg
Worst on the Svelte = 44.9 mpUSg

I thought I was taking it pretty easy on the Lardy too! :cry:
:p You could allways trade the Lardy in on a SUV. :p That would be fun at $6.00 per gal. :p

1 - 20 of 57 Posts