Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock horn anemic? Sounds so cute you figure someone will run you down from laughter after you meep meep them?
I won't own a scoot without a LOUD horn applied often and early.

It just so happens that the Bad Boy 115 dB horn (available from Harbor Freight for US$35 on sale) fits neatly & conveniently into a bit of un-occupied space on 05 AN400; on the right lower side of the bike, inside the body work, to right of the gas tank & behind the radiator, near to but below the stock horn. Yes, this location requires removing a little tupperware to do it right, but that is a fine exercise anyway.I imagine the empty & nearly perfect space is there on the later bikes too.

I'll spare you the deep step x step write up and just give a couple of key pointers I hope make your day;

The horn is bolted to the frame via the right side foot rest support. I drilled a new hold for the bolt, you may not have to.
I drilled said hole so I could mount the horn precisely (with the help of a 1.5~2cm stack of washers) to
1) best bellow the sound OUTSIDE the bodywork, just under (but not blocked by) the radiator and
2) to avoid rubbing the horn on the frame or tank.
Just hold the horn in there, turn this way and that and you might see why & where I drilled the new hole.
You want the horn sound-holes generally aimed to the front, and consider the angle to allow draining any water that finds way into the horn.

I also bored some 3/4" holes in the black plastic cover over the radiator to let more sound out. Overkill maybe keeps me alive :)
Avoid boring these holes in the track exactly behind the front wheel, to avoid throwing up a lot more crud from the road inside the body.
You should see the normal track of debris. 6 holes fit well and looked cool. Use a paddle bit and back up the plastic with some scrap wood when drilling to get nice round holes.

I ran the new power wire (I used a healthy 10 ga. - bigger is always better, up to a point) , and connected it to the back of the starter relay.
You could connect direct to the battery but I chose to use the lug on the back of the starter relay (the relay is where the heavy cable from the +lug of the battery stops at - of course use the always "hot" side). This is a bit better than running the wire to the battery, as it keeps you from having to connect two wires inside that stanky little glove box, and there is a nice secure and shielded nut backside of the starter relay perfect for a 1/4" ring terminal.

I grounded the power circuit (from the horn (-negative) lug) to the frame just below the horn.
Make sure you ground to bare clean metal ( scrap off the paint) just to stay current :). Engineer humor.

Note the new relay actually powering the horn , small black box visible in the upper left of each picture, simply tie wrapped to a frame tube by a tab on relay.
Heed the horn instructions - DONT try to power the horn using just the small stock wires on the small stock horn.
That would run the risk of blowing fuses or possibly melting wires, and likely wont even operate the horn as the Bad Boy (actually a small built in compressor) uses a lot more current than the stock horn.

I did however splice into the stock horn wires to operate the CONTROL side of the new horn relay. It does not matter which wire you pick "to" and "from " the new horn relay, you are jsut adding the relay in "parallel" to the existing circuit. I even left the stock horn connected , as there is a slight delay in the Bad Boy while its' compressor takes part of a second to spin up & blow away the oblivious encroacher / sleepy cellphoney about to pull out into your path. Leaving the stock horn connected will get the quickest sound out followed by it's Big Bad Boy brother. The staged effect is kind of cool.

Again note the new relay (the small black box tie wrapped to the frame, comes with the horn kit).
Make sure you insulate any hot wires here against accidental contact - this is the place most likely to short out to something with bad results.
Note that my insulation job is not 100% done in the photos.

Do splice a fuse into your new power wire - Not fusing the horn power could cause a melt down. A melting 10 ga wire is a lot of kindling.
A little careful looking will let you place the fuse where it is accessible from outside the tupperware, under the dash.
I might even locate the new fuse block inside a glove box, not sure yet.

Below are a couple successive zoom picts of the basic install.

I have had a Bad Boy installed on my other scoot that starts with Y, ends with Majesty, and lots of smile between, for two+ years.
It still works well, maybe a little slower to sound off, despite the fact I once submerged the bike horn-deep in over-roadway Mississippi moving mud.
I think as these age, the compressor probably slows down.

Thats it . Best luck.
When you toot while on a scoot, its not to pollute, but just a salute to the stupid galoot who is about turn you & your hoot inside...oot.
Look twice - we are everywhere. And not very forgiving.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I twisted and turned and tried but I could not get mine to fit in there on my '03, I did get it in just ahead of and below the radiator though. I replaced the twin electrical set also marketed by Wolo:

And had expected the Bad Boy to be much louder, though had I looked more closely I would have known better. The Bad Boy is rated 118 dB vs. the electric horns' 114 dB. At those levels +/- 2dB change is about the best humans can differentiate.

It does however have a more "commanding" tone because of the higher frequencies, 530/680 Hz vs. 400/480 for the electric horns...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never seen those Wolo twin tones. Where did you ? How much ?

I dont have any absolute reference other than how annoying it is but the Bad Boy is positively louder than any wee stocker.
I added one to the soothing sounds of a Scion xB and I can definitely scramble a text message or jog a stop&go makeover or makeout session.

FIt ahead of the radiator ? wow. I didnt see a place. You mean outside the cover (ie visible from outside )?
On my new to me made 09/04 (05 model year) had that perfect nook where I photoed, its tight but no touch anywhere. I am surprised to hear the 03 was different in that regard.
I would expect frame and gas tank to be similar, maybe different tuppers

As mentioned, the lag between button push and horn blast is somewhat discomfiting on >2 year old BB that was hung in the stock location for a Maj ,
which is out in the weather above the fender. But once it spins up I still get attention.

I hope the Burg's location is more protective without muffling it.
I tested it outside her window and made the daughter knock over a chair (one seldom expects vehicles to approach from the back yard), whereas the stocker just made her smile.

I had considered Harbor Freights $20 twin air horn, supposed to be a little louder and semi truck scary, but I didn't have room or elec.current for that larger compressor.
I thought those horns would fit between the frame front up tubes and the body, but not aimed right direction and probably have to scalp them to fit.
I'll put that in the Mustang that I WISH someone would wreck for me and play big rig tag.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
gtgtbangbang said:
I have never seen those Wolo twin tones. Where did you ? How much ?
Most FLAPS (Favourite Local Auto Parts Stores), and Harbor Freight, have them $15 to $20 plus a bit usually.

I dont have any absolute reference other than how annoying it is but the Bad Boy is positively louder than any wee stocker.
I added one to the soothing sounds of a Scion xB and I can definitely scramble a text message or jog a stop&go makeover or makeout session.

FIt ahead of the radiator ? wow. I didnt see a place. You mean outside the cover (ie visible from outside )?
Nope behind the cover, sideways, compressor forward, horns toward the left IIRC.

On my new to me made 09/04 (05 model year) had that perfect nook where I photoed, its tight but no touch anywhere. I am surprised to hear the 03 was different in that regard.
I would expect frame and gas tank to be similar, maybe different tuppers
Everything I have replace so far seems to to compatible '03 to '06. IDK...

I put the '06 S-Type spoiler on my '03 and if fit perfectly--see thread here.

As mentioned, the lag between button push and horn blast is somewhat discomfiting on >2 year old BB that was hung in the stock location for a Maj ,
which is out in the weather above the fender. But once it spins up I still get attention.
The delay is not as bad as it initially seems, I was concerned that the usual "beep-beep" one uses when passing a neighbor working in their yard would be an issue--it is not. The electric horns have no delay.

I hope the Burg's location is more protective without muffling it.
I tested it outside her window and made the daughter knock over a chair (one seldom expects vehicles to approach from the back yard), whereas the stocker just made her smile.

I had considered Harbor Freights $20 twin air horn, supposed to be a little louder and semi truck scary, but I didn't have room or elec.current for that larger compressor.
I thought those horns would fit between the frame front up tubes and the body, but not aimed right direction and probably have to scalp them to fit.
I'll put that in the Mustang that I WISH someone would wreck for me and play big rig tag.
"Scalping" the horns, even a little bit, will dramatically alter their sound--to the point they will sound 296%+ awful...

My '03 Mustang's horns have that classic American car sound. I would not trade that or the V8 sound for a month of Sundays...

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I stuck with a pair of Fiam 2 tone horns to sound like a big car...and not scare the beejeezers out of anyone. :thumbup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I only use the horn to wake up cell phoning twidtiots who don't know to yield to oncoming right of wayers.
Thus I like their beejeezers out and about. Badboy is not soothing and up to the job.

Dont ignore to fuse the new circuit. SInce I got my power from the batter side lug backside of the starter solenoid, it was easy to splice in a 30A blade fuse with enough slack that it ought to be possible to (but unlikely to have to) check the fuse without any panel pulling.

Body work is back on, still say that little nook next to the gas tank is almost perfect for BadBoy install.

I loaded up on plastic push pins for my body R&R,what I got works great.
If someone wants modest quantities at fair dinkum rates hit me a PM

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks I believe I will try a stebel nautilus head to head.
Hate the idea of harbor fright this and that,
know my other wolo BB under the fairing but in the weather is developing a lag after a year or three out in the air stream.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts