Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came back from a short camping trip today. The bike has 14,800 miles now and I'm going to start doing the required maintenance.

On the trip today I noticed whenever I accelerated it got louder than normal somewhere between 5,000 and 6,000 RPM's. This happens from a stop and whenever I accelerate. It also happens when I go uphill. The bike dose'nt seem to loose power, it just made a "gurgle" noise. If it were a car, I'd think the muffler was beginning to go bad.

Is there a way to check if the muffler is good? If it's not, any suggestions on replacement? I'm not interested in improving performance if the bike is going to be louder. If I have to replace the muffler I want the most quiet I can get.

Any ideas if it's not the muffler?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I'd replace the muffler connector. It's a little tube gasket that seals the muffler and exhaust pipe. It's #2 on this diagram.

View attachment 29209

They tend to burn up or get brittle to the point that you don't notice there was one when you take off the muffler, like during a rear tire change. It just kinda falls apart. My tire guy had NO idea there was a gasket there, just a bunch of dust and small pieces.

Given your mileage, my guess is you changed the tire a while back and the mechanic didn't know to replace the connector. What little was left is now completely gone, hence the loud exhaust. Put it on the center stand and get your ear down there, listen for a popping sound when you give it gas..

Be sure to get the 08+ connector. The 07 model was too small and would burn up on its own if you rode really hard, no muffler removal necessary. It's an easy and cheap fix ($18 part + 10 min labor). Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
I had my rear tire changed and it was quiet for one day. It suddenly grew louder. I am sure the brillo was not replaced with a new one even though it was included in the bill. Here is the rub. I like that it is a bit growly on acceleration. It's not too loud and quiets down at constant speed. Doesn't seem to hurt anything so I prefer to leave it that way.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I had my rear tire changed and it was quiet for one day. It suddenly grew louder. I am sure the brillo was not replaced with a new one even though it was included in the bill. Here is the rub. I like that it is a bit growly on acceleration. It's not too loud and quiets down at constant speed. Doesn't seem to hurt anything so I prefer to leave it that way.
Check your fuel milage. The gap allows extra oxygen in and its right by the efi sensor. My milage went down 2-3 mpg when it was missing as I think the efi was enriching the mixture sensing more O2 in the system. I'm no mechanic, but that could foul your plug, lord knows what else.

Eh, the Suzuki engineers put it there for a reason and the system is designed to work with it. I'd rather not play Monday morning quarterback with my bike.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Liamjs, I thought it might affect engine compression, maybe it does I am not sure. My mileage is a little under what it should be but the plug is fine. I replaced it last month as it was original to my '07 and will check it this weekend. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Liamjs, I thought it might affect engine compression, maybe it does I am not sure. My mileage is a little under what it should be but the plug is fine. I replaced it last month as it was original to my '07 and will check it this weekend. Thanks for the heads up.
Ya, maybe someone more mechanically inclined than I can comment (feel free to chime in here Quantum) on what is going on here. But I had a heck of a time the first few years with this (before I discovered BUSA). I kept burning up those little buggers. Of course I had an 07 bike and kept replacing them with the 07 connector. Finally a buddy suggested switching to the 08 connector and that did the trick. But it does have to be replaced EVERY time the muffler comes off.

It is just one of those first year production problems that gets reengineered later.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
I'd like to not give up the growl but if that part is there to do something other than suppress noise, or plays a role in performance then I would have to consider using the '08 muffler stuffer.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I'd like to not give up the growl but if that part is there to do something other than suppress noise, or plays a role in performance then I would have to consider using the '08 muffler stuffer.
Yes, I think the 08 connector made my blue paint sparkle a bit more too. But I could be wrong on that. :D

(Its a beautiful bike, isn't it?)

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Lol, It is a beautiful bike. One of the reasons it deserves to maintained close to perfection. Sort of like a pretty woman. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is an old conversation, but I think that my connector is burnt out. I hear the pop mentioned above with a little gas, and some backfiring with deceleration down hills.

My Question is, should i be alright to take a 200 mile trip before replacing it?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
This is an old conversation, but I think that my connector is burnt out. I hear the pop mentioned above with a little gas, and some backfiring with deceleration down hills.

My Question is, should i be alright to take a 200 mile trip before replacing it?
When my connectors went out, it was a slow progression, but definitely a progression. It got a little bit louder with time till they were completely burnt up.

Now, be that said, it took me a while to figure out what was wrong and how to solve it. It was louder, but I can't say as it hurt the bike any. Maybe slightly worse gas mileage, but I think you'll be fine for 200 miles.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
jon, replace it if you have time as it's best for your motor and your wallet. Liam is right in what he was saying earlier in that it does affect the amount of o2 getting into the downpipe and therefore the lambda sensor will try to richen the mixture causing your bike to use extra fuel at times. However, if you don't have time then I suspect it'll be ok but make sure the muffler bolts are done up right and the bolt holding the connector end is firm (but don't overtighten). Enjoy the trip.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I rode mine without one for more than 30K but probably less than 50K (miles). Just put one in last night and now feel like I'm riding a stealth Burgman.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts