Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can you tell if the exhaust gaskets have failed? I was riding home yesterday and noticed that my exhaust was extremely loud (once I got off the freeway), and it seemed I had lost a bit of power.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
On the 400, it sounds like a popping sound, definitely louder. If you have an 07, the gasket was redesigned for 08. I burned through two or three 07 gaskets before I replaced mine with and 08, they are about a 1/4 inch longer and work much better. No problems since.

Btw, the 07 gasket will burn up if you run the bike really fast. After a fast run it seems to burn a small passage, and from that point it just burns up slowly till there's nothing left.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
If your bike is an 03-06 model then you might pull the muffler end cap off and check to see if the welds behind it have cracked. Several folks have the end cap melt because a leak behind it caused it to overheat.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the advice. I got a chance to check things out today and HOLY FRICK'N AYE!
The piece between the engine and the exhaust had actually broken!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Well... at least the exhaust gaskets didn't fail! ;)

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
That's the exhaust manifold that is broken.....

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Thanks all for the advice. I got a chance to check things out today and HOLY FRICK'N AYE!
The piece between the engine and the exhaust had actually broken!
Soooo,I guess it was louder than a popping sound...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I think I would have rather had the gaskets fail! Nope...no popping sound (was more like a Harley).
How does something like this happen?

I presume that an '03-'06 replacement will work, but not '07+?

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I presume that an '03-'06 replacement will work, but not '07+?
Correct...the '03-'06 are the same part...
on the microfich page for Muffler
item #3...14150-15F30...about $65

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
I would replace both the gasket at the cylinder head and the one at the junction with the muffler pipe. It's might be a good idea to spray the bolts at both ends with penetrating oil and let the sit overnight before you try to remove them.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have a used one from my K05 that I still have when my stock muffler failed. I relaxed it with a Leo. PM me if you can't find one cheap.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I have a used one from my K05 that I still have when my stock muffler failed. I relaxed it with a Leo. PM me if you can't find one cheap.
12string, what is a Leo? I'm sure you don't mean law enforcement officer. :confused:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
12string at first a was going to asked how you liked your Leo Vince Muffler but it's obvious you like it or you wouldn't want to give up your old exhaust manifold.
The older we get the harder if is to find someone to use our old parts. ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the offer...I had just found a used one online for $20 just before you posted.

If this one breaks I'll hit you up though. I still haven't figured out exactly why it broke in the first place. :confused:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts