Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Oh, not from me- not to worry. It seems as though that it has picked up quite a bit of if from my other machines, namely a 2010 Honda Goldwing. During the first 2.5 years of ownership I managed to rack on near 55K miles on it and after buying that little Burgman Executive a few weeks ago only another 1000 miles has make it to its odometer of the GL1800. My morning routine was like this: Push, shove curse the 920 lb. behemoth out my garage, get my radio cords hooked up, my tea in my cup holder, and by that time it should be warmed up enough to lumber down the road. Watch out for loose gravel!

OR fire up the Burgman and ride on down the road. So at least on shorter rides of 200 miles or less that is what is happening more and more. I am sure that I am just a big silly and but I swear when I am leaving my garage on the Burgstrom that I can feel obscene gestures at my back radiating from the front of the Goldwing somewhere. Odd isn't it? Still, it is quite eerie when it happens.

Do any of you think that this is anything to worry myself about? I wouldn't even be asking but I seem to have missplaced my Browning Hi-Power a few days ago yet then I find a half a box of +P hollowpoints in my top box with some of them now missing. Perhaps we just may be having a -shall I say it?- some sort of a jealousy issue here? Please, your thoughts on all of this. I have started sleeping with one eye open.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
No hate here but I am having the very same problem between my Burgman '08 400 and my '01 GL1800.............. The Wing stays in the trailer most of the time now while I am scooting around on "Ingrid" Burgman..........

·
Registered
203 Posts
I understand what you are saying, but I think you might seek professional help for yourself.......and the GOLDWING!!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
735 Posts
An old friend in the next state has ridden a Goldwing for decades. When I told him I was looking for a scooter he said, "Hey you should buy my Goldwing so that I can buy a scooter." I guess he should be watching his back too.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I had been riding a 1988 Vulcan 1500 for 21 years (245k miles) when I bought my '03 400 in May of 2011; and found after 2 months I was no longer riding the Vulcan. Sold it on Craigslist and have not looked back even once...

·
Read Only
1,204 Posts
I had a large 750 pound BMW touring bike that I sold on Craigs List a couple of weeks ago when I realized I had ridden it three times all summer (and one was for a safety inspection). After riding my Burgman, I realized that riding the big bike was work.

I had planned on only having my 650 but I was on Craigs List within hours looking for a small motorcycle to play with. I bought a V-Star 650 Custom that is a blast to ride in the mountains. It is lower and lighter than my Burgman with a buttery smooth transmission. I guess I just to have two bikes out of habit.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I had a large 750 pound BMW touring bike that I sold on Craigs List a couple of weeks ago when I realized I had ridden it three times all summer (and one was for a safety inspection). After riding my Burgman, I realized that riding the big bike was work.

I had planned on only having my 650 but I was on Craigs List within hours looking for a small motorcycle to play with. I bought a V-Star 650 Custom that is a blast to ride in the mountains. It is lower and lighter than my Burgman with a buttery smooth transmission. I guess I just to have two bikes out of habit.
Oz , any problems with the V Star transmission hanging up ? Every manual Honda I've ever owned had rough hang up transmissions . After the last one I swore NEVER AGAIN !

TheReaper!

·
Read Only
1,204 Posts
Oz , any problems with the V Star transmission hanging up ? Every manual Honda I've ever owned had rough hang up transmissions . After the last one I swore NEVER AGAIN !

TheReaper!
No. It is the slickest transmission I ever had but I remember my Kawasaki 550GPZ also had a very good one. The 4 various Hondas and 4 various BMWs I owned had transmissions that I considered to be rather clunky. The BMWs are known to have a clunky transmission but I think they were better than the Hondas. The Hondas (CB 350, CB 500T, V45 Magna and 1100 Goldwing) were very reliable but were the least satisfying of the 15 or so I have had. The Magna was the only one that had any personality but the fuel mileage was 38-42 with only a 700cc engine and I dragged the foot pegs frequently on curvy roads. I considered a couple of Honda Shadows when I was looking but decided to try my first Yamaha. I'm glad I did since I don't know how many more I will buy at age 66. I just sold my 2 BMWs that I owned 7 and 14 years.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just sit down with your favorite cold Libation and explain to the Goldwing that it was designed in the last century and it is just OLD FASHIONED.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Osbornk, you may want topull the final drive on the Yamaha and ensure that the drive shaft splines, both ends, are lubricated. When I had my Boulevard, the forums said Yamaha and Suzuki were notorious for not lubing the splines at the factory. May require buying a new seal.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Interesting. I have owned the Burgy 650 now for a few years - before that a Yamaha T-Max - and lately have been getting a bit of a faint hankering for a Goldwing. Not a strong hankering, just a faint suggestion of a hankering .... and next year am planning a 2 week tour in Europe - perhaps it is better to keep it light and simple, hire a Burgy in Italy or Switzerland ... or buy one over there and keep it somewhere for future trips ... **** you've got me rethinking now!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Interesting. I have owned the Burgy 650 now for a few years - before that a Yamaha T-Max - and lately have been getting a bit of a faint hankering for a Goldwing. Not a strong hankering, just a faint suggestion of a hankering .... and next year am planning a 2 week tour in Europe - perhaps it is better to keep it light and simple, hire a Burgy in Italy or Switzerland ... or buy one over there and keep it somewhere for future trips ... **** you've got me rethinking now!
Or, if possible go hire the Goldwing over there for your EU trip. That will give you some insight into just how much or likely you'd ride the Goldwing should be delirious and actually buy one. In my mind the ideal two bike scenario to own would be a mid-large displacement ADV/dual purpose bike and a maxi scooter. Now if someone would combine both into the one package I'd be a happy camper. I realise that one manufacturer has done that with a prototype at one of the motorcycle trade shows, but I don't want a little 125-250 ADV scooter thanks... make it at least 500cc or more.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Or, if possible go hire the Goldwing over there for your EU trip. That will give you some insight into just how much or likely you'd ride the Goldwing should be delirious and actually buy one. In my mind the ideal two bike scenario to own would be a mid-large displacement ADV/dual purpose bike and a maxi scooter. Now if someone would combine both into the one package I'd be a happy camper. I realise that one manufacturer has done that with a prototype at one of the motorcycle trade shows, but I don't want a little 125-250 ADV scooter thanks... make it at least 500cc or more.
I have both. A V-Strom 650 kitted for Adventure riding and a Burgman 650 for everyday riding. My problem is that my hands are bad (arthritis in the thumbs) and I am not riding my V-Strom much at all since getting the Burgman. I have a friend who wants my V-Strom and it is just sitting in the garage while he builds the money to buy it from me.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
1 Posts
How's the vibration?

I commute in the PNW on a daily basis. My bike is a sportster and my hands are feeling the effects of the vibration. How are the vibrations on the burgman?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I concur. I have owned a v-twin and several inline fours and the Burgman 650 has no,none,zilch handlebar vibration.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The Burgman 650 is interestingly as smooth as a Goldwing. Of course there are some differences. I wished all twin engine motorcycles were as smooth.

I thought I would be putting much more miles on my 2013 GL1800, but I agree that the Burgman 650 is getting all the attention. It's almost as though I ride my Goldwing just to keep the battery charged :angel1:

HATE is a strong word and I think you said this just to get attention for your thread. If you ride your Goldwing enough to keep the battery charged, you'll be fine. My Goldwing has much love for my Burgman. There are no rivalries. Ride both to keep the batteries charged, be happy and go easy on the "HATE" :thin:

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
HATE is a strong word and I think you said this just to get attention for your thread.
Sure. If that's what you want to believe then go for it. :confused:

Come Thursday I will be riding my much loved GL1800 down to Phoenix to visit my daughter. I will be feeling daggers from my Burgman as I head down then road on that day.

And trust me on this, none of my bikes ever need a battery charger. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Talk about hate!

Unlike my bikes of the past I go missing all the time. I admit, I'm having an affair with a doll named Burggi. I use her for thrills every day before, during and after work. I make excuses to go to town at night and run away with her on the weekends. This weekend we spent two nights and 460 miles together in the Cumberland mountains. Hey, I'm a sensitive guy. I offer my lovely wife a threesome but shes just not into that. My wife is jealous and possibly full of hate. LOL!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Sure. If that's what you want to believe then go for it that the Burgman 650 and Goldwing 1800 can co-exist peacefully, "Talk about hate!"... :mad:

Come Thursday I will be riding my much loved GL1800 down to Phoenix to visit my daughter. I will be feeling daggers from my Burgman as I head down then road on that day.
LOVE, not HATE both your bikes and you'll be fine. I'm speaking from experience that there is NO HATE in having both my Burgman 650 and my GL1800... Sure the B650 doesn't have the suspension of my GL1800 and high speed cruising is not as comfortable as the GL1800. I've been from L.A. to Phoenix on my B650 and no complaints. What's a battery charger? Never had a need for such creature comforts :laughing8:

Both my bikes my Suzuki B650 and Honda GL1800 co-exist peacefully and get along together in my garage & the road :p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts