Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in S.E. Michigan and knew there were a lot of 650 Burgs for sale here . I didn't know if this was a local phenomenon or it was nation wide , so just for the heck of it I did a Chicago and a South Florida search and found the following .

Chicago http://chicago.craigslist.org/search/mca?query=burgman+650&zoomToPosting=&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=

Detroit http://detroit.craigslist.org/search/mca?query=burgman+650&zoomToPosting=&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=

South Florida http://miami.craigslist.org/search/mca?query=burgman+650&zoomToPosting=&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=

I never knew there were this many of these 650 Burgs , and I especially didn't know there were this many for sale . In my area N.E. of Detroit very near Lake Saint Clair , I might see one or two 650 Burgs a year . This is mostly Harley land . Until I started investigating the Burg on the net and here on BUSA I had no idea there were this many of these .

By the way , a lot of the ones here on the Detroit Craigslist have been on there for a year or more .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
It's surprising that with the cost of gas that the scooter market is not as strong as one would think. It's not a good time to sell a Burgman. it is a good time however, to buy one.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wanting to get rid of old ones before the transmission goes out, maybe. Maybe looking at the new ones and not getting much of a trade in offer. Maybe deciding the 400 is better suited to their needs.

·
Registered
630 Posts
It's surprising that with the cost of gas that the scooter market is not as strong as one would think. It's not a good time to sell a Burgman. it is a good time however, to buy one.
Scooters & motorcycles aren't really that practical in comparison to a small car (and almost as expensive to service/insure in some places), so it may be just be a group of folks coming to a similar conclusion.

I doubt the lesser charms of the 400 would convince that many people to switch between scooters, unless they were mistaken about handling the King's weight. It doesn't seem to happen often among the enthusiasts here, so a trend among the general public seems equally unlikely.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
scooters are no longer the most economical thing on the road, especially the 650 which has a lot of competition from the new crop of bikes that now days get upwards of 80-100 mpg. But scoots are still kind as far as comfort goes.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
scooters are no longer the most economical thing on the road, especially the 650 which has a lot of competition from the new crop of bikes that now days get upwards of 80-100 mpg. But scoots are still kind as far as comfort goes.
You ride a motorcycle or scooter because you like to do it and the claim of saving money is just an excuse.

When people as me if I save gas, the answer is yes.

When people ask me if I save money, the answer is no.

When all of the expenses are considered, including insurance, tires, depreciation, riding gear, etc., a small car is a cheaper all-weather choice. Most of us need a cage for extreme weather anyway.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'm looking at buying a new car this summer. Probably going to buy a VW Jetta or Golf diesel - and its gotta have the moonroof. The other consideration is the Toyota Prius C - smaller than the regular Prius it gets ~50mpg or better. The tdi motor gets (officially) 42mpg but is well known to get better than that. My 650 gets anywhere between 45-51mpg. Never got under or over those numbers. But I'll jump on the 650 over a car any time the weather is good. Unlike so many of those other scooter buyers I have a scooter not to save fuel but to enjoy the trip.

Buying a scooter or motorcycle for fuel economy is the wrong motive IMO. Especially when the buyer isn't a 'seasoned' rider. Which is why there are so many low mileage scooters and motorcycles for sale. Some of those buyers got scared riding and decided mpg isn't everything - especially if you end up dead.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry DangyDoug, but with the 2013 out and all the touted changes, prices are dropping even more. Not uncommon to see 2009-2012 models (all essentially same bike) with under 5,000 miles selling for less than $4,000.

Bakeisback is right, good time to buy! I love the engine braking (didnt want a 2013) and sold my 2005 cheap to a close friend and got a 2011 with 2,100 miles on it. Love it and now another rider to roll with.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You ride a motorcycle or scooter because you like to do it and the claim of saving money is just an excuse.

When people as me if I save gas, the answer is yes.

When people ask me if I save money, the answer is no.

When all of the expenses are considered, including insurance, tires, depreciation, riding gear, etc., a small car is a cheaper all-weather choice. Most of us need a cage for extreme weather anyway.
+1 But the smile per mile more than makes up for any costs.:D

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I'm looking at buying a new car this summer. Probably going to buy a VW Jetta or Golf diesel - and its gotta have the moonroof. The other consideration is the Toyota Prius C - smaller than the regular Prius it gets ~50mpg or better. The tdi motor gets (officially) 42mpg but is well known to get better than that. My 650 gets anywhere between 45-51mpg. Never got under or over those numbers. But I'll jump on the 650 over a car any time the weather is good. Unlike so many of those other scooter buyers I have a scooter not to save fuel but to enjoy the trip.

Buying a scooter or motorcycle for fuel economy is the wrong motive IMO. Especially when the buyer isn't a 'seasoned' rider. Which is why there are so many low mileage scooters and motorcycles for sale. Some of those buyers got scared riding and decided mpg isn't everything - especially if you end up dead.
Look for a used TDI Jetta. I stole a 2002 two years ago Sept for $5,000. It's my ride to work when the weather is too hot or cold for my 650.
Do get better MPG with my 650 than the Jetta, 53 - 46 :D

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
In one sense, I totally disagree. My Burgman is for sale for $3000. Where else can you get into a 45mpg vehicle for $3k? Since darksiding, my tire cost will be way way down. IMO, if you take care of your used car the way you would take care of your Burgman, the cost would be about equal.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
In one sense, I totally disagree. My Burgman is for sale for $3000. Where else can you get into a 45mpg vehicle for $3k? Since darksiding, my tire cost will be way way down. IMO, if you take care of your used car the way you would take care of your Burgman, the cost would be about equal.
If your Burgman could totally replace a car, you might be right. However, for most of us, we have to have a car of some kind because of the weather. You can't ride a scooter in snow, extreme cold or in many other climatic conditions. I seldom ride at night since a good friend's son was killed when a deer hit his bike in the side in the middle of the night and crashed him.

By the time you pay for tags, insurance, taxes and upkeep of both a car (regardless of price) and a scooter (regardless of price), the total cost is more than if you just owned a modest car that got pretty good mileage.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wanting to get rid of old ones before the transmission goes out, maybe. Maybe looking at the new ones and not getting much of a trade in offer. Maybe deciding the 400 is better suited to their needs.
There is definitely some truth to that , a 400 if you're not doing a lot of 2 up riding will get you there and back . The problem is NOTHING rides like a 650 , I have a t-max and really like it , but it doesn't have the sweet ride of a 650 burg . People put up with a lot for the 650's cushy ride , me included . I don't care what any one says , NOTHING in the scooter world rides like a 650 Burg .

TheReaper!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts