1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'd love to get it, but am here in the states and looks like they wont ship here.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In that case maybe one of our friendly European (mainland) forum members would volunteer to buy on your behalf and post on to you.

I would have thought it will be cheap to post and at low value should swerve Customs as a 'gift'.

I would offer but not in Euro currency area and makes matters doubly complicated.

As afirst step - contact the seller he may be willing to ship to US if asked nicely. :wink:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Wow, 25 eur is, like, only about 750usd, right?

Seriously though, for about 30 bucks plus shipping, if he'll ship stateside, that seems a bargain if you're in need.

Peace.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
How the Secret Shutter Decoder works

Curious about how the shutter mechanism works, I held my key head against a sheet of ferrofilm. I got three spots indicating the position of magnets.

It looks from the size of the spots as if there could be a maximum of four magnets in any one key. So given a possibility of from 0 - 4 magnets, and in the cases of 1 -3 magnets several position choices (mine form a triangle with two at the top and one at bottom left), we get a large number of permutations.

The ferrofilm only shows magnets, it doesn't indicate polarity, so that could resuilt in even more combinations.

It seems to me, though, that if you lost a key you could buy a new key, and by removing the cap over the magnets change the combination to match your current key.

I'm not quite curious enough to actually dissect my key yet, but I think it could be done.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I recently took my ignition shield off to have a look!

At the back of where you place your key to disengage the shutter there are a lot more than three pins IIRC around seven or so embedded in a white nylon substrate. Maybe your film was picking up the Norths or something. Or maybe each one has a different number of pins?!

NormanB

·
Registered
368 Posts
I did contact the seller but I'm not convinced they read english. $78 is hte cheapest I could find so far here.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
NormanB said:
... there are a lot more than three pins IIRC around seven or so embedded in a white nylon substrate. Maybe your film was picking up the Norths or something. Or maybe each one has a different number of pins?!
Yeah, that's what I said. Mine has three, but I can imagine others have more or fewer.

Based on the size and position on mine, I thought four was the max, but if you saw seven receivers (probably eight: four corners plus four between) then maybe there are more possible combinations than I thought.

Tomorrow I'll take my ferrofilm to the dealer and ask if I can look at a few of their keys.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Brian said:
NormanB said:
... there are a lot more than three pins IIRC around seven or so embedded int.

Tomorrow I'll take my ferrofilm to the dealer and ask if I can look at a few of their keys.
7x7 49 binary combinations x polarity looks like 7 raised to 4th power or 4 raised to 7th power.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts