Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

After work tonight, I started my 2009 650 as usual except this time after turning the ignition and holding the brake......it started! I didnt have to push the starter button!! The headlights were out yet the flashers and rear brakes & lights worked. I also noticed that each time I used the brakes the starter motor seemd to go on. I never lost brakes although not sure if my braking power was affected.

This is my 2nd 650 and 1 of many bikes I have owned and something like this has never happened before. I use my scoot EVERY single day..........
rain or shine. Its just how I get around. The battery is original but since I use it everyday there should be a strong charge.

My concern is that I have purchased this 09 with extended warranty and unsucessfully tried to install a screaming banchee horn this past March. I have no real mechanical skills and gave up......thinking I would have the dealer install the horn.........I have yet to do so!
I know this should not have ANYTHING to do with my attempted horn install. I have been using the scoot ever since without any issues. Besides, the only wiring I tampered with was the battery cables and the horn wiring.

Now I find myself in a situation where they may blame my failed attempt at the horn install and void my warranty.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on the following, I would appreciate the feedback.

1) what is the possible cause of the headlight failure and the starter engageing when the brake lever pressed?
2) what should I do if they try to blame me for the electrical problem and void my warranty? I know I attepmted the horn install back in March but for all the dealer knows I could have done it this past weekend!!!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Joe

·
Registered
412 Posts
Kinda sounds like the contacts in the start button are stuck in the on position. If you don't want to take the switch apart yourself, take the scoot to the dealer and don't even mention the horn. Doesn't sound like it could be related anyway. Even if it was all they could do is decline warranty repair on that one issue, not the entire bike.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I would think that the starter switch is stuck in the on position. If you pull in the brake lever and the bike starts without pushing the starter switch that very well could be the problem. I see no reason for them to void the warranty for doing what you did to install the new horn. You have to remember that every time you pull the brake lever the starter is turning over and you could very well do damage to it if you keep riding it.

Bill

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
You don't have higher wattage headlamps do you? That could be overloading the contacts. The horn install shouldn't have anything to do with it but then again I don't know what work you did. Here's a photo of the starter switch taken apart.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
My advice would be to be honest with them and tell them what you did but that you don't think it's related and let them check it out. If they think it's from something you did just ask to have them show you what caused it on the bike with it apart. If not they should just fix it under the warranty if it's covered. It's about being nice and if your not happy just try another dealer.

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
I don't remember this problem of a starter switch sticking in the on position being posted before but this is the second time it has cropped up on the same day. I answered this post last night and it seems to be the same issue. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=58393

·
Administrator
18,385 Posts
Buffalo said:
I don't remember this problem of a starter switch sticking in the on position being posted before but this is the second time it has cropped up on the same day. I answered this post last night and it seems to be the same issue. http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=58393
Craig, theres been a few over the years. Most times a squirt of WD-40 in the button takes care of it.

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
I remember reading about folks that had the button quit working in the off position. I also remember post about the headlight disconnect sticking. I don't remember post about the starter switch sticking in the on position. Of course my old memory isn't what it use to be :) .

·
Registered
18 Posts
My Goldwing did that a few years ago. It was the starter relay. Just something else to check out. I was concerned that I may have ruined the starter, but apparently I lucked out. It worked until I traded it in.
BJ

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
bjrichardson said:
My Goldwing did that a few years ago. It was the starter relay. Just something else to check out. I was concerned that I may have ruined the starter, but apparently I lucked out. It worked until I traded it in.
BJ
Good point but the headlamps should still work. The starter relay is on top of the battery under the seat.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Buffalo said:
I remember reading about folks that had the button quit working in the off position. I also remember post about the headlight disconnect sticking. I don't remember post about the starter switch sticking in the on position. Of course my old memory isn't what it use to be :) .
This is how I remember it too. I recently had the no headlight issue so did a lot of searching and read the posts about the causes of no headlights... the disconnected white wire in the left hand high/low switch, blown fuse, and the starter switch contacts. I tackled them in that order and it was the starter switch contacts after all.

But don't remember ever seeing a stuck starter switch affecting the starter in this way, but seems possible. You would think the button would have to be stuck in the depressed position though. In the picture MJR posted, the 2 bigger springs are for pushing the button back out when you release it. Would take some major gunk in there to keep them from moving. A shot of WD-40 into the switch wouldn't hurt but if it fixes the problem the switch is still due for a take apart and proper cleaning.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your suggestions.

I was able to read a couple this morning before dropping it off to the dealer. Before I started it , I pressed the start button a few times. When I finally started it she started and ran normal....lights and all! I still went to the dealer and as of tonight have not heard back from them. I was going to try to spray some lubricant on the relay but I had a few other things for them to check anyway.

Will keep you posted!

Joe

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
hershey1 said:
how do you remove/take apart the stater switch?
Well I don't have a step by step but theres two screws on the bottom of the switch pod that hold it to the handle bars, then once the top part is off you back off the throttle cable adjusters to get enough slack to remove the cable ends from the hand throttle, then you can pull the switch pod down to access the screws holding the individual switches in the housing, once the starter switch is free using a small flat blade screwdriver to gently pop out the contact pad, and your there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts