Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out if you lose a key to your Burgman and want it replaced,
it is expensive! I ordered just the key blank alone from Suzuki and they
charged me $23.65 with tax. The key came from Suzuki with NO BLACK PLASTIC PART on top of the key! Just the metal Key Blank itself. The dealer says there is no way to order the black plastic part with the Hex head for the security device without ordering a complete ignition set also. The whole thing was like $184.00!

Anyone know a way of getting a replacement for the plastic part on top of the Burgman keys?

Thanks,

Neil K.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
No idea on the plastic top part. I don't use that feature anyhow. I bet you could shape a magnet and mount it on something if you wanted.

Did you happen to check around to see if anyone like Home Depot etc. has a standard blank that matches?

May be the same as the Suzuki autos?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
239 Posts
I had a spare key made for me by a regular locksmith for a cuople of bucks. Not the plastic part, of course, but then, I don't use that feature either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,363 Posts
Burger Bob said:
I had a spare key made for me by a regular locksmith for a cuople of bucks. Not the plastic part, of course, but then, I don't use that feature either.
That ignition keyhole cover, the glovebox accessory outlet, and the 5 speed manual shift option - I'll bet those features sell a lot of machines. Good showroom razzle dazzle stuff. But on most days, I don't use any of it...

The keyhole security cover is probably an excellent idea, and I probably SHOULD use it, but I'm just to lazy to add that extra step to locking & unlocking the bike most of the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Key

I thought I had lost a key a couple of weekends ago and it got me thinking about replacement costs...I park my bike in Washington, DC and use the ignition guard all the time. So is it not possible to get a full replacement key? (including the magnet)


Andy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,385 Posts
would check to see if your dealer knows what he is talking about, I asked my dealer about a replacement key and it was 17.95 (un cut) with the plastic back and he had it in stock-I may be mistaken, and my dealer is 95 miles away but next time I go down I will check again .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lost a Key to your Burgman yet?? OUCH!

Randy,

You may be right. I find it hard to believe that you can't buy a blank with the plastic part on it for $20.00 or so. Please check for me if possible.
I will check with another dealer, though my dealer did spend sometime on the microfiche showing me there was no other way to order it.

Thanks, Neil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,278 Posts
pauljo said:
Burger Bob said:
I had a spare key made for me by a regular locksmith for a cuople of bucks. Not the plastic part, of course, but then, I don't use that feature either.
That ignition keyhole cover, the glovebox accessory outlet, and the 5 speed manual shift option - I'll bet those features sell a lot of machines. Good showroom razzle dazzle stuff. But on most days, I don't use any of it...

The keyhole security cover is probably an excellent idea, and I probably SHOULD use it, but I'm just to lazy to add that extra step to locking & unlocking the bike most of the time.
I rarely use the keyhole cover myself. It depends on where I'm parking the Burgman. I still have nightmares of when my son was young and putting cheese sandwiches in the VCR to "heat them up" and "storing" his partially chewed bubblegum in the cassette deck. Any time the Burgman is parked where kids may be or in a more dangerous part of town, I use the keyhole cover.

I'm less likely to use the handlebar lock than the keyhole cover. Turned on the bike parking lights too many times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Pauljo lives in Omaha. Nobody steals anything in Omaha.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
$23? That's cheap. You ever price a GM key with the VATS chip? I have...... twice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
428 Posts
migz123 said:
Bleeder said:
That will never happen to me as I just always leave the key in the ignition.



Peace.
So Bleeder ... tell me where you live :cyclopsani: :joker:
I'm nobody from nowhere. I see you're from OC. In a former life I built almost a million square feet of retail and office buildings for Mission Viejo Co., 14 Edwards Theaters including the Irvine Spectrum location, ect., ect. ad nauseum.


Peace.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
yeah, I had the same experince with wanting an extra key with the magnetic tip. Gotta replace the ignition and then the key wont match the storage lock.

Sucks big time.

I found a local locksmith that could make a key from his blank, but was not long enough to push in for the steering lock.

I use the ignition cover lock when I leave the bike for extended periods. I like to use it when I attach a disk brake lock to remind me that the brake lock is there.

So far, so good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
605 Posts
Hello Guys,

Has anyone noticed that your key lock (for the little magnetic door) only works for your bike. I thought these were generic little devices but I tried mine on two different 400's and I found I could close the door but then I couldn't open it. Thoughts. Maybe that's why its so expensive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,323 Posts
Timothy Ma said:
Hello Guys,

Has anyone noticed that your key lock (for the little magnetic door) only works for your bike. I thought these were generic little devices but I tried mine on two different 400's and I found I could close the door but then I couldn't open it. Thoughts. Maybe that's why its so expensive.
Hmmm! I thought the same thing but havent had a chance to try it. I'm meeting Rod tommorrow for breakfast and I will try my key on his 650 and will get him to try his on mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
My wife and I each have a 650. The magnet appears to be dedicated to its own bike only and will not open the other....at least not on mine.
 
1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Top