Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having done about 1,000 miles over the last two week ends, I noticed that my 2003 650 kind of listed to one side when putting it up on the center stand. Even more so when getting it down off of the stand. I took a peek underneath, and found that the bolt that holds the frame the center stand pivots on was missing from the right hand side. That particular bolt isn't shown on the micro fiche, though it might be the same one shown that holds the switch that controls the transmission when its up on the stand. Local dealer gave me an 8mm bolt that has a 12mm hex head, a washer and a lock washer. We'll see if this one stays in. Only 3500 miles on the bike, so I hope nothing else falls off!
Bruce G. Woodburn
Rock Island, IL

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Bruce,

A couple of other 650 riders have reported losing a centerstand bolt.

My centerstand hardware has not fallen out (5000 miles on my 650), but I did end up missing a bolt that holds the rear brake line hanger. It is located behind the muffler.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I checked my Burgie this morning, a very young 2004 model with only 400 km on it so far, and there are split pins in both of the centre stand bolts, and the side stand bolt appears to be have both a nylok nut with blue Locktite on it.

However under the handlebar covers I found one bolt that was half out holding the left leg shroud to the frame.

·
Registered
308 Posts
yikes

I posted on this. I found my center stand mount bolt missing the same way; put it up on the stand and it was leaning way over.

This was after the 600 mile service and I really reamed the service dept for missing this. Now, Im not so sure that it was thir fault.

I put blue loctite on the replacement bolt., So far, so good.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I guess I'm glad I'm not the only one loosing this bolt. :? I put some blue lock tite on the replacement too. Andy, the bolt that went missing is just a little above the one with the pin through it.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
bwdbrn1 said:
Well, I guess I'm glad I'm not the only one loosing this bolt. :? I put some blue lock tite on the replacement too. Andy, the bolt that went missing is just a little above the one with the pin through it.
A little above and to the rear, I found mine missing the other morning. I went to the hardware store and bought a small pack of 4 and a pack of lockwashers to go with it. I also used blue loctite when re-installing the new bolts. I did both sides so I wouldnt have to worry about it. FYI the bolt in question is an 8mm x 1.25 by 20mm long.

I'm good to go again.

·
Super Moderator
8,083 Posts
Interisting, my 2003 has a hole drilled through the same bolt with a cotter key in it, but my front axle was loose. I guess we better check all the bolts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I've checked my centerstand bolts a few times due to these posts - all present and accounted for each time.

But I was washing the scooter last week and noticed that one of the push pin fasteners that holds the rear tail section bodywork on was about ready to depart. The little pin was sticking up out of the fastener. I caught it because the bodywork felt loose when I was wiping it down.

On any motorcycle or scooter it is a good idea to look things over periodically. I find that when washing it is a good time to do that. Probably should wash mine more often though...

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I just want to clarify. When I first read this post i to thought it was the bolt with the nylock nut and oin going through it. This is the pivot point of the center stand. The center stand however consists of 2 brackets that the center stand connects to , in which turn bolts onto the engine casing.So in actual fact its the center stand housing or carrier that is missing the bolt. I failed to mention previously that it was also on the right side. The same side others have reported missing.

Have a second look people, I think I missed mine the first time as I too was looking at the bolt with the pin in it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
all these posts about losing bolts i thought i would add a positive response so everyone doesnt get all worried about their bike falling apart :lol: i have 8000 miles and have checked bolts periodically and have yet to find a single one loose. and other then the dieseling noise mine has never been serviced by the dealer. maybe when the dealers did the prep on the bike before it was sold they didnt check everything they were supposed to?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just recently noticed a missing front fender bolt. I was hearing alot of rattling plastic with every bump in the road. When I examined the front end, I saw that the front right fender bolt was gone. Luckily, I had a zip tie with me to hold it in place for the rest of my tour.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Today I noticed some oil on the garage floor. Upon close inspection I found the transmission drain plug was about to fall out. Good thing the leak gave me some warning. My question is why is there such a problem with self loosening bolts on the Burgman? I've had lots of v-twin cycles that shook like the dickens and never had anything loosen. This could have been a very expensive problem and, BTW, I only have 600 Kms on the bike. Is this something that's going to become part of the daily ride check: Helmet, gloves, bolt check? Pardon my rant but I think this is sub-par on a bike that costs 11 grand Can.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Harold said:
Today I noticed some oil on the garage floor. Upon close inspection I found the transmission drain plug was about to fall out. Good thing the leak gave me some warning. My question is why is there such a problem with self loosening bolts on the Burgman? I've had lots of v-twin cycles that shook like the dickens and never had anything loosen. This could have been a very expensive problem and, BTW, I only have 600 Kms on the bike. Is this something that's going to become part of the daily ride check: Helmet, gloves, bolt check? Pardon my rant but I think this is sub-par on a bike that costs 11 grand Can.
I think yours may be due to a lock of torquing when the dealer first assembled your bike.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I've had the occasional bolt go missing on other motorcycles too. I don't think the Burgman is unique - and it is certainly not a daily occurance. We are looking at a membership representing about 600 machines here and once in a while something gets loose. Proper dealer setup is important as previously noted. An oil drain plug that goes loose is due to failure of the dealer's shop to properly torque it. Period. This is the only incident of that happening that I've seen reported on a Burgman. And if they don't properly torque a drain plug on a Harley or a Goldwing or a Chevy - the same thing could happen.

The only repetitive incident we are seeing is that one centerstand bolt. There have been several reports of one centerstand bolt going missing. It would appear that for some reason that bolt didn't get properly torqued at the factory on a batch of machines. So it would be a good idea to have the centerstand bolts checked for torque.

Follow any internet forum, on any motorcycle or scooter, and you will read about every malfunction that has happened. It can lead to what the manufactures call "Internet Hysteria". The key is to keep things in perspective. If you see numerous reports of the same thing happening - a pattern - then you want to keep your eye on it where your machine is concerned.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well, I have lost a center stand bolt!

Yesterday, I had a group ride 300 miles round trip. The first fill-up I had no problem putting the Burgie up on the centerstand.

The second fill-up, I couldn't get the Burgman up on the centerstand. The ground appeared flat and I didn't feel any weaker. Anyways, I had to fill it with the sidestand.

While it was filling, I remembered about this post so I took a look underneath at the centerstand and noticed that there is a bolt missing. I thought during the 600 mile service, I specifically asked service if the bolts on the centerstand were tight. And they said yes.

So...

To all who read this, be sure to check the centerstand bolts :lol:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I washed & lubed my 650 Saturday (clean up after the Scootercade trip). My centerstand bolt on the left side was very loose. Fortunately it had not gone missing, so I just had to tighten it. That was the first time that particular bolt had been loose in 19400 miles, so it isn't something that needs checking weekly. But I do check the centerstand bolts whenever I am down on the floor to lube the stands and those button switches. At a minimum that is after washing the Scooter - probably 4 or 5 times each year.

Now you guys that never wash your scooter will have to come up with another plan! :lol:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Me too

While cleaning the center stand safety switch,(another PRICELESS post) looked over and NO BOLT on the Right Side.

Down to Lowes 2pack 8mm x 1.25 x 20mm $1.00 a little Blue locktite and I'm good to go

Thanks to all for the heads up

Bill

·
Registered
611 Posts
I think that checking bolts for tightness is more important on these scooters because they smaller wheels transmit more of each imperfection in the road. Nut's and bolts come loose on all motorcycles. I still hold to my days when I used to roadrace - and I drill and safety wire all drain bolts and axle nuts... I guess I should do the stand bolts too.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Bolts

I've had some so loose they were about to fall off and others I needed an impact driver to remove. :roll:

It is a good idea to inspect the bike periodically. Thanks for reviving this thread.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts