Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am goin' in HOT....I am about to reload my computer's OS.

I'll see ya in a few hours...... or a few days.

Checklist - HO!

My Son - lil poot that he is - managed to dick up this old PC enough to warrent a fresh OS reload. (Newer version... 2000 dontcha know!! :) )

I work with XP at work and I don't like it too much. Seems clunky.

Ciao scooting friends - till we meet again!!!

Darnit - drivers, software etc. etc.....

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Randy! I'm baaaaack! Well - sort of. The new OS load didn't go as planned, and I had to resort back to my old OS. A long string of explitive deleteds (sp? :? ) to be placed here: _______________________!!!!!

Oh well - I'll tackle the OS upgrade some other time. At least it's nice to know I can tap into "my surrogate family" when I am at work - even if my PC is chest to the sky!

Ground control to Major Tom...... sheesh. Reminds me tho - Every time I see a "snowride" post I can't help but think of the song "Slowride." You know it... Slowride! Blom Blom Blom!..... Take it easy! Blom Blom Blom!....

Gotta huge gully washer heading this way. Hurlburt Field extracted all personnel about a half hour ago so we wouldn't end up in any possible flood situations. So......hey - if the boss says "Why are you still here?" You won't catch that door hittin me in the backside!! :twisted:

·
Registered
969 Posts
Just curious, Pete. Did you do an 'upgrade' (overwrite)? Or did you do a complete rewrite?

My wife and I did the upgrade thing, and were not at all happy with the results. We then did a complete reformat, and booted up using the XP upgrade disk (it's really the complete program). Everything's been running on both our machines since then. 8)

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah Steve - I did the whole bit... format c:, fdisk, etcetera. (my drive is partitioned and I didn't want to do a wipedisk) then I plugged in the new Win 2000 OS disk and ran from there - it "hiccuped" about 3/4ths of the way through (twice, and well, by that time I had run out of poop to birddog it any longer - went to bed. This mornin (EARLY - ug! - grin-) I just redid the old OS... and at least it "took" - albeit sans all my email etc. and I'm back on line. Shoot I am still swimming in all of my CDs as i type (while shoving a printer driver disk out and away from my elbow :? )

I might have to though (wipedisk). What I oughtta do is dump this relic computer of mine and get with the program! :oops: 850 P3 with 256 MB ram.....sheesh~! I might as well be cranking on an 'ol 8088!!

I just can't get myself to go the XP route yet. I use it every day at work and it drives my high-speed 2 point something gubmint-issued Gigahertz computer down (it seems..hense...the "clunky" analogy.)

We'll see. We'll see. Harumph. :cry:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Windows XP = Windows 2000 + interface update (by Fisher-Price) :p

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
If your machine is compatible with XP - my recommend is to go XP it is the very best OS Micro$oft has produced and with SP2 is reasonably secure (as long as you firewall and antivirus). XP is the only M$ that has achieved true plug and play and is brilliant and recognising new devices.
Just my humble offering.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Norm - I've heard that many times. I am still futzing around with my new ME OS reload. Every thing is working OK except I can't get my system to accept the drivers for my Sony PSC-32 digicam. I've loaded the .inf file, but it's getting to become a gigantic pain in the rear. It's been demanding a USB*.sys (wildcard meaning I dinnt write it down) a .SYS file! -arrg- from my OEM ME OS disk, but my original OEM ME disk doesn't contain it. Arg. I doubt that the M$ site has it available either since theyve probably stopped providing that type of support for such an old OS.

I am about to run down to computer store and by an XP OS darnit....(I just have to have access to my camera!)

:?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Have you tried Sony's site for drivers? Couldn't hoit.

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again. I have the driver file. its a .inf file. whats screwed up is that when the computer goes to install it, it is missing (or cant find) a system file (.sys) that is supposed to be on my ME OS disk, and it isn't, i've searched the cd manually, and the computer cant find it when it scans it automatically - and i didnt write the name of it it down yesterday when i was working it. oh well. its something like usbstr.sys (or something like that) it seems to not be able to find one other dot sys file also.

no worries gang - ill figure it out one way or another.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Search Microsoft's site. They'll have it.

Steve

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
USBSTOR.SYS? It should be on the ME CD in the BASE2.CAB file.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya know - it did stop at a cab file and indicated that that was where that sys file (whatever sys file it was) was. i said ok and then it gave me some other dorked up problem message.

thanks bill!

ill chk the cab files on my OS disk when i get home from work - and thanks steve - ill do that also if a no joy is reached via bills method.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:eek:ccasion5: Awesome Bill!!!

Thanks dude - and all others kind enough to assist!

Got the sony hooked up. Yup - those files were right there in that folder.

You guys are great!

:notworthy:

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
make sure that the amperage draw caused by the first set of voltage drops doesnt exceed your units cut-out de-limiter.

then do a quick comparison of ohms law ...e = i x r?

:?:

dam 'sbeen too long now

8) :D :)

outerwise pull out the dead toast!

:twisted:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
flintbobbi said:
It keeps burning my bread... :lol:
Toaster is derived from 'tostum', the latin word for scorching or burning. So you're toaster is doing what's supposed to do. Maybe you need to upgrade your bread :idea: :p

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I find that if you wrap the bread carefully in aluminum foil you can safely leave it in the toaster 3 or 4 mins without any scorching at all!

However, it may be more economic not to plug the toaster in at all!! :)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Toaster

Flint,

There is usually a lever or wheel that adjusts the "exposure" from light to dark. Sounds like you just need to fiddle with that! :D

Me...I keep it on the bagel setting as I like my toast done on ONE side. Whole wheat or sour dough with real butter. Mmmmm!

Let me know if you need a more detailed analysis of the problem. My fee is 1 small jar of Knott's Berry Farm Boysenberry Preserves for a 1 hour consultation.

Dee

1 - 20 of 20 Posts