Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a complete and unapologetic newb when it comes to any sort of motor bike. I just picked up my used '05 Burgman 650 and I am still learning all of its features and maintenance issues. While checking the oil I found three tubes that just hang under the bike. Are they supposed to be attached to something? There are no obvious fittings that are missing tubes and I could find no mention in the owner’s manual. Any help here would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
8,071 Posts
I believe
1 is for the fuel overflow
the others are for pressure venting of the drive train.

It should be like that.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Close.

I think two are for fuel system venting. Not descibed in the Owner's Manual, but the Service Manual goes into detail about where they are, which direction the valves in them have to face to work properly, etc.

(The testing of the valves is really high tech: pull them off the tubes and blow into them. ;) )

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now I know I am missing something important from my 650! I got the owners manual for my "pre-loved" Burgman but no Service Manual. This sounds like a very important document for me to have.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
RED L.E.D. ELDER said:
Now I know I am missing something important from my 650! I got the owners manual for my "pre-loved" Burgman but no Service Manual. This sounds like a very important document for me to have.
I am not sure that I'm interpreting your comment correctly. But if you are thinking that the service manual comes with a new scooter, that is not the case. You do have to purchase the service manual separately. You are right about the importance of having one. It is a worthwhile investment.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
gruntled said:
One may be attached to the battery. I believe it may be to vent hydrogen
gas.
I've got to check that sometime. Conventional motorcycle batteries always did have a vent tube. I'm not sure about these new gel filled maintenance free batteries though. Since I keep a Battery Tender plugged into mine during the Winter, I've never removed it from the scooter...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pauljo said:
I am not sure that I'm interpreting your comment correctly. But if you are thinking that the service manual comes with a new scooter, that is not the case. You do have to purchase the service manual separately. You are right about the importance of having one. It is a worthwhile investment.
I will invest in one of theese once I figure out where best to pick one up. Any suugested sellers for this service manual?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
RED L.E.D. ELDER said:
pauljo said:
I will invest in one of theese once I figure out where best to pick one up. Any suugested sellers for this service manual?
I just bought mine through my dealer; $28.95 + tax.

Ron Ayers or Oneida Suzuki may have it for a little less, but I don't know for sure.

The part number for the '03/'04 Service Manual is 99500-36111-03E. It covers the '03 model, with adenda in the back for the '04 differences (which are minor).

I don't know the part number for the '05 edition, but the differences are greater, so if you have an '05 you'll definitely want to get the new one.

HTH.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
$49.99! :shock:

Either the price went way up since I bought mine last summer, or Oneida Suzuki charges more than my dealer. (Maybe that includes postage, which picking one up at my dealer wouldn't require.)

Since the '05 Supplement is only $9.99, I may get one just for kicks.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
The manual is worth the purchase price just for chapter 9- the one that shows how all the tupperware is attached and removed.
I paid about $60 thru Oneida Suzuki including the 2005 supplement.
If it saves one trip to the dealer, the manual will pay for itself.
The one thing that stumps me is that they dont' describe anywhere in the service or owners manual how to remove the plastic rivets. I'm glad I read about that here.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Jim said:
I believe
1 is for the fuel overflow
the others are for pressure venting of the drive train.

It should be like that.
So where it the one for the A/C condenser? :D <<< newb joke :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just left the dealr this afternoon. Took a short test ride around the parking lot on a '04 demo model. It was a very sweet ride considering that it is a scooter... I've decided it's what I want, now I have to convince my better half.
Funny though, I can't remember seeing the a/c controls... :violent1:

btw, I'm a newbie here. Figgered I'd go ahead and join the crowd... :D

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Welcome to the crowd, Shoot4fun. :hello2:

Now repeat after me: "This is my weapon; and this is my gun. This one's for shooting, and this one's for fun." :wink:

·
Registered
4 Posts
That sounds all too familiar, Brian! OooRah! Semper Fi
(Been There, Done That, Got a t-shirt...with complimentary bullet holes)

Thanks for the welcome, Brian.

I'm getting ready to buy my first bike since marriage and I'm going thru the whole "we can't afford that" stage. Just like everything else. I think she'll come around sooner or later, but I hope it's sooner.

Brad

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I save between $150 and $200 a month commuting to work. And that was around or less than $2.00/gallon. Now it's over $2.50/gallon. I figure (minus the investment on bike and gear) I save between $1800 and $2400 per year. Your winter may vary! ;) Now at $2.50+/gallon (25% more) I figure I'm saving even more but haven't done the math on it. Might just be between $2250 and $3000 per year now! Considering I paid $3400 for my AN400K3 I should have it paid for in less than 2 years (even considering all the extra money I've put into mods and gear)! :D

IMHO I can't afford NOT to have it! :idea:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi shoot4fun

Welcome to the forum. :hello2:

You can do the math every time you fill up - nice surprise with the Burger painful when you fill the truck - but then there is the fun and the GRIN to consider and you cannot put a price on that! :D :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts