Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,444 Posts
If it is the existing 650 twin, then it will be a wide lump!
Last June, the 650 had outsold Triumph, BMW and HD;- Combined. We waited 18 months after it's supposed launch date for it to go on sale, but it was apparantly worth the wait.
I see dozens of the things most weekends. And I've spoken to lots of owners. Not one has a bad word to say about them. "Only" 47 bhp, but suited ideally to our UK A and B roads.
Will cope with motorway at a push. Silk smooth gearbox. I find the seat a tad narrow, and firm, but hardier soles than me think it OK. One bloke, who had been to 2019 TT IOM, had ridden non-stop from Holyhead ferry to Matlock Bath (158 (Twisty) miles). He was a senior citizen too.;)

[EDIT] Thought about this after posting.(from YouTube)
"Royal Enfield will reportedly launch the 650 twins in India by Diwali 2018. While we patiently wait for the launch of the motorcycles, designer Oberdan Bezzi has rendered the Fury 650 ‘Flat Tracker’ based on the Interceptor 650."
I think it looks rather nice.
Royal Enfield Fury.
I'm a fan of the value and reasonable power output of the RE INT650. I like the aethetics, and it seems like a nice bike, and in a "standard" form that looks reasonably comfortable.

Here's an email that I sent to [email protected] back in February, having read various reports (which all seem to originate from one blog in India) on one particular aspect of the RE 650 bikes:

Greetings,

I am interested in possibly purchasing your INT650 model. I would like to know if cast wheels with tubeless tires are available for that motorcycle as an extra-cost option (as it is against my religion to tour on tube-type tires).

Thank you for your help with my question, and for your time.

Regards,

And here is the response I got:

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your email.

Appreciate your decision but regret to inform you that we don't have any option as if now.

Thanks,
RE

So, I'm in the wait-and-see group on this one.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
A lot of Youtubbers will ask for support on patreon and offer special videos or live chats to augment their income. A lot of time and effort goes in to keeping a Youtube channel going.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
210 Posts
OR This :- (You can buy the OUTEX kits on ebay)

Interceptor 650 TUBELESS KIT Installed on SPOKE Wheels

·
Administrator
21,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thread drifted.

The (CHINA MADE) CSC RX4 450cc has the new style spoke rims where the spokes are not inside the rims air bladder. You can run tubeless.

RX4 wheel.jpg

·
Registered
210 Posts
To drift it back,
I think Noraly only had one puncture in 60,000km. Perhaps fortunate? But at least the locals were able to repair that. Maybe not a tubeless type?

Moto Guzzi, BMW and Suzuki all do spoked, tubeless versions on their Adventure bikes. Honda ADV scoot does too.
They all look alot tidier than that above. (They use a continuous flange).

·
Administrator
21,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
In the two videos going up Sani pass, I think I could ride the one Kinga did on a naked (no tupperware) Burgman 650 if I:
1. Removed the center stand and
2. Had another 1 inch travel front and
3. Mounted a Snow Car tire on the rear that I'd cut with more grooves and
4. I'd hand carve the front tire with a bit heaver grooves too and
5. I'd add 1 inch lift to the rear shocks too.

But no way I could modify a Burgman to go up that pass in the condition Noraly did. I would not want to do it on a true Dirt bike.

I have had my Burgman 650 on a few heavily pot holed and rutted gravel roads. Don't like it but it can be done.

I have a tire grooving tool you heat in a fire and it burns a groove in the tread. You can bend the steel wire and set the groove depth as needed.

Sort of like this tire
bs_blizzak_ws90_tread.jpg

·
Premium Member
9,444 Posts
So could this work for you? A good friend has this system installed on his Honda Africa Twin.
View attachment 93400
Thanks, but nope, not gonna do it:

1) I wouldn't have the confidence that the hole-sealing method would stand the test of time, would work flawlessly, etc. Tires, with air in them, are about as important as things get.

2) I've read enough over the years to the point that I think I've learned that rims are designed differently, i.e., are appropriate or not, for tubeless tires vs. tubed-tires, to ensure that tubeless tires stay put on the rim properly. That is, while I realize that the tires themselves for the INT650 are tubeless tires, and that RE has put tubes inside them anyway, because it is employing spoked wheels, this does not mean that the rims are designed to hold those tires in place, if tubes were not in them. Thus, I would want a factory setup of matched tubeless tires and rims, no tubes inside.

~~~~~~~~~~

Back to the thread, I'm a big fan of IB, too. I managed to buy a couple of IB neck stretchy warmer thingees, to support her. (I say "managed" because you have to pay attention to the product release dates, as you can't order them ahead of time, and, OTOH, they quickly sell out.)

I also forwarded this link --
-- a year or so ago, to family members who couldn't care less about riding. That video is a wonderful travelogue, showing different places and cultures (and how IB seems to get along with everyone), and great scenery, and doesn't fixate on motorcycles themselves. Everyone loved the video.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I recall Noraly dropping her Himalayan twice and getting help from someone to lift it back up.
I think she's righted it by herself too.
Coincidentally, I recently bought a "Motowinch", (a jack for solo-righting a fallen bike). It's made in and mailed from The Netherlands, (Noraly's home country).
Very good quality. I have it under the seat but haven't needed it yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Her videos are a pleasure to watch on several levels. Excellent editing and I particularly enjoy the drone footage. With her geology background they're also educational. ("But dear, I'm just watching this adventurous, lovely young blonde woman for the geology lessons...")
How does Noraly get these drone shots in South Africa if she is alone. Are there other people with her or does the drone function automatically. Thank you.....Sal : )

·
Administrator
21,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Welcome to the forums Sal.

Some drones you can program to fly a repeat pattern. So she just pre flys the route, copies it and then sets it off and rides. She might have to ride back to the launch site to recover it.

She does not have a chase crew.

·
Administrator
21,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

·
Premium Member
9,444 Posts
You folks see this one, from March 29? It's Itchy's answer to the video that @Dave_J inserted in post #16 here:

It frightened me just to watch it. If I had to ride it, I probably would've died of a heart attack from the exertion, or died falling off the side of the road, whichever came first.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Premium Member
9,444 Posts
21 - 40 of 42 Posts