Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I live in SE Texas. I'm looking at buying a `05 650. I'm pretty convinced for what i will use it for the 650 is what i SHOULD have (read: would PREFER). I live 17 miles from my work and other than a 2 miles in city traffic (35 MPH limit) I have 15 miles (each way) of 2 lane highway (60-70 MPH limit). I was looking at the 650 because it would 'cruise' those miles more comfortably (read: less wear and tear on drive train). The roads are not flat but the hills are not 'steep'. Yet, majority of one direction is more uphill than downhill (and vica-versa). I want the scoot for my commute.
I've been reading the forums here for a few days (as a guest) and thought I'd poke my 2 cents in and listen to replies.
I was thinking if I can't really justify the cost of the 650 then I would lean towards the Majesty (because of better highway ride). My leaning towards the 650 has essentially boiled down to the larger tire size. The roads are pretty good but we do have our potholes up around here as well as most everywhere.
Other personal notes: I'm 6'2", 205lbs and 'leggy'.
Thinking about going to talk to dealer today about financing. Looking to put down a couple grand to get the $100/mo. deal. Will double up on a few payments to make it 'fit' the 60 mos.
I'd much prefer spending for the 400 but am thinking if I'm doling out that much I may as well add a bit more for it to last and be more of something I would LIKE to ride.
The idea is to save some moeny on gas and insurance while still having a ride I'll enjoy.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
I would hate to see you compromise, for a few dollars on what you really might want. I would try and test ride all your options, and keep price as secondary.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good suggestion Jim.
Unfortunately there isn't a dealer close who has any (of the 3) in stock for me to test drive.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Sometimes there just isn't a close dealer. The ONLY scooter dealer in my town was Yamaha I tried the Majesty 400 first, but found it sluggist on the get-go. It was OK on the highway but that slow start made me keep looking. I traveled 60 miles to another town to see the Piaggio X9 500 scooter, and found them selling Suzukis too. The Piaggio had more pep than the yamaha, but that Burgman 650 had caught my eye. They had an 05 650, but wouldn't budge off of MSRP for it. Next day I rode the other way 50 miles to find a Honda dealer and another Suzuki dealer. The Honda had an 05 Silverwing, but wouldn't deal. So I went to that Suzuki dealership to find he had several new '04 650s and they were already about $1000 off.

It took some distance looking, but now I've got the Scooter I want.

Dave B.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I say just go for the 650 and enjoy!!! :D

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Stu
If you are 6-2 and leggy the 400 in Burger or Maj form will be a helluva compromise.

If it was down to performance/cost and usage - and you were not the size you are then the 400/Maj would have been best.

Big people demand bigger machines - The Lardy is the only solution that will keep you happy in the longer term.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I concur with what Norman has said but would add (somewhat heretically) that the Piaggio 500 is worth a look. I'm bigger than you in every direction, Selias, but found the Italian beauty had more than enough stomp to keep me happy. The only real downside was that it couldn't cope with the sort of two-up loads I intend to carry so was replaced with the Big Burger.

Not that I'm complaining! :D

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Hey man! You're in Texas~!!~ You HAVE TO GO BIG!!! :D

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Out the door quote is $7912.69 I got from a dealer only about 40 miles from home.
That includes tax, title, license (etc?).
The dealer up here (where i work) quoted me the stock MSRP. :roll:
Now for phase two... checking financing.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
That's a good price. The cheapest quote I've gotten on a 650 was $8250 and that was in Richmond.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote I got is from Matt in Silsbee, TX. (Suzuki Outpost)
Granted, they do not have them in stock and I'll have to wait a couple weeks to pick it up but lower (price) is definately BETTER for ME! :wink:
Got them started on the financing and I'll see if it comes grinding to a halt or not. I do not have established credit since I am more a cash & carry sort of guy. :oops:
I am wanting to put $2000 down and do the $125 for 60 months.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
that's only a 3 hour drive from my house. hhmmmm...
I need to save up some before I can get another one. I'm still trying to win the lotto in the mean time. :wink:

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'm going to go against the grain here and recommend you look at possibly
two AN400's for maybe less money than a single Lardy-Weighted 650.

Like the Honda Silverwing, they want too much money for a 650!
And contrary to inexperienced belief, the 650 does not have a better transmission.
It is a more sophisticated tranny than the 400s' but both the 400 and 650 go when you twist their throttles.
I've owned both a 650 then a 400 a year later due to mostly weight issues about
having to park the bike where I first have to push it up a grade, then up
a cement lip into a narrow doorway.
Both 650 wheels had to do the lip and if I fudged the momentum with the front,
I had to roll back and push again, but harder - ouch.
This problem about owning an A10-like motorcycle that ran great once I
got my feet perched but came close to injuring me when I had to push it
around gravel and other unknowns was the straw that broke the camels back.

I thought that if I gave you my 2 cents worth about "it's other side" that
you would buy what you want anyway but still you would hear this out.
As some of us age, we don't have the muscles and wrists and ankle power
that we once had.
Some older riders post on BurgUSA with nothing but praise for the product. I have praise too because I still ride.
They haven't been alone with a Lardy off to the side of a road and had it "slip away" from their
complete control when slow-speed moving or pushing, at least yet.
With your build size, maybe it won't happen to you; the thing about the center-stand
coming in contact with your right rear calf, when it catches your pants
if you're too close when pushing. Or that the rear-left floorboard indent
can catch the same place too.
Or that the so-called perfect handlebar position for riding becomes a slippery
endeavor once flat-soled leather shoes are mistakenly used for riding when
all they're good for is show.

My thrifty 400 is approaching 5,000 miles and it's really, really opening up with
the kind of getup and go power that somewhat resembles what I once had with the 650
but for a terrible price for the 650's overweighted under-maneuverability.

Many cycle dealers are too busy too stray from the Toy-Show atmosphere
that new motorcycles get caught up in, to show you real numbers for the
cost of ownership over time. Or the fact that a test ride of a new machine
will resemble not what you test of yourself after several days of touring
and having to learn for yourself what all that power is made of.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You make some valid points aj.
I can't say i agree that I could get two '05 400's for under $8000 though.
In fact, I THINK I would be fortunate to get an '05 400 for under $6000 (out the door price). I am still weighing the extra 2K for the 650 in fact.
One regular concern (for ME) will be 18 wheelers/logging trucks passing me doing 65-70 (and the related cross wind) on 2 lane highways. I am thinking that the 'lardy' would be more prone to 'weather' the cross gusts but I'd love to hear from you (and others) who have ridden both in similar circumstances. What say YOU?

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
If cross winds are an Issue, then go for the 650. There is a difference, the 400 is lighter, but the 650 has a lower C/G. That, added to the weight, it handles the cross winds much better.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I voted for the 650. Any of the three scooters could do the job. The 650 may be a bit more than you need, but it is better to have a bit more than you need than a bit less than you want. When "want" and "need" butt heads, "want" often wins. If you buy either 400 and decide that you want to move up, you will lose a bunch on the trade. The net cost would be way more than just buying the 650 in the first place.

One possible reason I would recommend the 400 for you is if gas mileage is a primary concern. They definitely get higher mpg. The other two good reasons people buy a 400 are cost, and physical size. You are definitely large enough to handle the 650 comfortably. If buying the 650 would strap you financially, buy a 400 and stick with it. If 15 to 20 more mpg is real important to you, do the same. Otherwise, I think I hear a 650 calling your name. :wink:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hmm

Hi, wife of the Selias guy :p

You all addressed some of my concerns about Stu purchasing the 400 or 650. I was thinking about that crosswind thing and a smaller one causing him to just get blown off the road too. Isn't he adorable? :D

A question for you all, can you explain to me why the 400 gets better mpg than the 650 considering it causes the engine to run at higher rpms? Just curious as to why, since I am about as mechanically inclined a newborn babe.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
He HAS to be adorable! Heck - he's thinking of the Burgman! :wink:

The gas mileage Adra (what cool names you guys have!) is directly related to the size of the engine and the wieght of the vehicle (amongst a bunch of other variables) - the 400 means that the machine's engine "displaces" 400 cubic centimeters of volume within itself. The 650 displaces 650 cubic centimeters (cc's).

Higher RPMs on any engine will decrease gas mileage (in general) - won't try to type out the ins and outs of that here...just think of calories burned when uh - ...uh, yeah - running instead of walking... who's sweating more on the same day? 8)

An engine is basically a gas powered air pump. The bigger the volume of the air getting "displaced/moved/pumped" (fresh air in through the air filter, air and burnt gas and air out through the exhaust) the more gas is required to make that void get filled. Hence the lower MPG for bigger machines. It's like comparing a little itty bitty engine in a honda civic to a big engine in a big for excursion.

Size matters! HTH. :)

A basic - and salient stability issue (cross winds and what not) is that only (i think) the 650 burgman and the 600 silver wing (maybe the X9? - shoot, i have an early onslaught of forgetfulness - it must have been that mid '70s thing that i suffered though! :roll: ) has a frame mounted engine. it is NOT "unsprung weight" - and again - too difficult to describe to a newbie with my limited typing skills...suffice to say that the big burgman and the big honda scooters should make weight and balance engineers a lot happier tha all the other scooters physical dynamics.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Re: Hmm

Adra said:
... can you explain to me why the 400 gets better mpg than the 650 considering it causes the engine to run at higher rpms? Just curious as to why, since I am about as mechanically inclined a newborn babe.
The 650 is a much heavier bike. It take more energy to move more weight.
The 400 being smaller may move better though the air. It takes more energy to push more air out of the way.

Just because an engine runs at higher RPMs doesn't mean it's using more gas. The smaller displacement of the 400 burns less fuel with each cycle than the 650 does.

Hope that helps.

Dave B.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts