Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all -

It's been a while so bear with me...:eek:

Am looking for someway to fill my time while waiting for my driveway to dry out so I can ride out of yard. Kinda hard to do with cold weather and drizzle in these parts (central Wisconsin). Seems like winter wants to drag on. So thought I would revisit this forum.

Still loving the ride I get with Red, my 08 Burgman 400. Can't wait to start this year again. Am planning to take a 4- to 6-day ride this summer if at all possible. Will be my first extended ride and am looking forward to it. Itinerary includes a loop into Canada for a day so have to get everything in order for that.

Does anyone know if there is soft luggage available to use in the trunk? Will this be enough space for a longer ride with packing "emergency needs" such as rain gear, tool kit, and other things along with needed change of clothes, etc.? If not, any suggestions where can I find add-on luggage for an '08?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Hi, all -

It's been a while so bear with me...:eek:

Am looking for someway to fill my time while waiting for my driveway to dry out so I can ride out of yard. Kinda hard to do with cold weather and drizzle in these parts (central Wisconsin). Seems like winter wants to drag on. So thought I would revisit this forum.

Still loving the ride I get with Red, my 08 Burgman 400. Can't wait to start this year again. Am planning to take a 4- to 6-day ride this summer if at all possible. Will be my first extended ride and am looking forward to it. Itinerary includes a loop into Canada for a day so have to get everything in order for that.

Does anyone know if there is soft luggage available to use in the trunk? Will this be enough space for a longer ride with packing "emergency needs" such as rain gear, tool kit, and other things along with needed change of clothes, etc.? If not, any suggestions where can I find add-on luggage for an '08?
Define ''EMERGENCY'' needs !

A set 25-30 litre approx. each side soft saddle bag should be sufficient for 6 day. Roll & compact clothing.

Exemple: Excellent size, quality and usability for price:

http://www.nelsonrigg.com/store/cl-850-CL-850.aspx

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
To your first question, as spacious as the trunk is, I'd be hard pressed to pack for such a trip with the emergency stuff I like to carry. I always travel with a large top case and, when I particularly want lots of gear (camping), I also use soft side bags. Mine are GIVI 479s. Whatever you choose, I'd get input on specific bags from 400 riders. While Cherie's link is to a good bag, I would be concerned about the size. It may do on a 650 with that bike's stationary exhaust but, you've got to allow room for the exhaust pipe movement on the 400 to avoid burning the bottom of the bag.

One thing I did which, for me made my side bags much more convenient was to secure pieces of Velcro to the inside sides of my trunk. I reinforced them at the corners with screws (I don't trust the adhesive on the Velcro, particularly in hot weather). I attach the straps of the side bags to these, rather than to each other. That keeps access to the trunk open so you don't have to disconnect straps to get to larger items in the trunk. You'll find that to attach the straps from whichever bag has its Velcro facing up, you'll have to either twist the strap or, attach a down-facing piece of Velcro to it. This setup has been very secure.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I've used Cortech* saddlebags on my multi-day trips for years and am very satisifed. I'm considering getting the new Cortech 2.0 bags because they are now expandable. Ogio, a respected maker of all kinds of sports bags now makes a low cost expandable motorcycle saddlebag. I've had excellent service from e-tailers www.motorcyclegear.com and www.revzilla.com.

* I bought some velcro from a fabric store that matched the width of the bag's velcro and had a local tailor sew on a few extra inches for greater grip strength - and the bags are rock-solid. S_Maniacs attachment method is interesting, but I would rather have the weight of the bags pulling on each other, rather than on some anchor point that is attached to the plastic trunk pan. Yes, the straps will prevent access to the underseat luggage, but I have room to stuff a pullover, hoodie or other items outside the luggage that are easily accessible. Worse comes to worse, just release the straps for access to your luggage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts