Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
greetings all, own 2016 650exec, am looking for tupperware for lower left and right 'bottom' panels
please share if you have spare 'parts' or share advice/guidance for me to acquire
thanks all
stay safe

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
bearone, eBay used to be a decent source of used panels. Don't know about lately though. It is hit and miss and you just have to keep watching the listings until the right ones for you come up.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Check fb groups and "marketplace" for breaking for parts
If you have the parts but theyre broken, you can definitely get them. Repaired. Would be a shame to throw away. Some abs plastic strips and a solder stick, some fiberglass mesh, some plastic epoxy or jb weld (plastics are stiff so no worry)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
... snipped ... If you have the parts but they're broken, you can definitely repair them ... Some abs plastic strips and a solder stick, some fiberglass mesh, some plastic epoxy or jb weld (plastics are stiff so no worry)
bearone -- by a "solder stick" I believe s-steel is referring to something like a plastic tie or cable tie as your "welding rod". I use a soldering iron with a cable tie as my "solder stick" and it works well for certain repairs. I've started plastic welding certain cracked or broken parts and using "plastic cement" on the bigger ones.

For cementing (usually used on the inside of the damaged panel), use fiberglass mesh and PlastAid or PlastFix (sold under different names). Takes a couple of repairs but once you climb the learning curve, it's relatively easy to work with and the repair is rock solid. If the damage is on the outside, I first complete all the "inside panel" repairs to ensure the panel's rigidity. Depending on the degree of damage on the "outside" of the panel, you can use either Bondo or fiberglass with the slurry indicated in the videos below.

Also, I highly recommend you go to YouTube and Google "Windy Urtnowski - Fairing Repair". He'll show you everything you need to know and more about repairing motorcycle ABS panel.

Good Luck and let us know how things turn out.

·
Administrator
18,022 Posts
Every piece of plastic on motorcycles are made from Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS) or Polypropylene (PP) . It is stamped on the back side. PP< 20> is Polyproplene with 20% talc to make it smoother.

Almost all wire ties are made from Nylon. ABS, PP are not 100% compatible with nylon.
I found this out when I did repairs on my sons Ninja 500 fairing and again on my 1100 Goldwing ABS panels.

What I use now is cut ABS water pipe cut in half length wise and then cut again into 8ths so I have like welding rods. Same with PP, I just cut up scrap pieces of PP panels into strips.
I use a flat tip on my Weller soldering gun to melt the base plastics and then add the 'Welding' rod and blend the two.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Yes thats why I mentioned abs. I saw some of our plastics are noted as abs and some pp. I also used nylon zip ties and while it melted right at first, ultimately it didnt hold

Use a solder stick with a flat head. They also make a head that jas a head that flat and out of it is a hole where you can feed the abs/pp sticks into it while going along and ironing /melting the plastic together. No way would I pay so much for a replacement plastic. Bit thats like me gling to a shop to get an oil /spark plug change. Basic stuff I could do. There is a product sold on amazon thats a (quite expensive imo) plastic weldibg set. It lets u assess what plastic stixk to use they include and you have an adjustment know for rhe heat. Looks nice. Expensive though

·
Registered
71 Posts
last year I modeled one of the black push pins and printed it on my printer. I believe it was the pin for the oil fill cover. Used PETG. Its still doing good. When i l break a different style, Ill model and print those too. When I finish a few types. Id be happy to help other members with printers with the model files.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bearone -- by a "solder stick" I believe s-steel is referring to something like a plastic tie or cable tie as your "welding rod". I use a soldering iron with a cable tie as my "solder stick" and it works well for certain repairs. I've started plastic welding certain cracked or broken parts and using "plastic cement" on the bigger ones.

For cementing (usually used on the inside of the damaged panel), use fiberglass mesh and PlastAid or PlastFix (sold under different names). Takes a couple of repairs but once you climb the learning curve, it's relatively easy to work with and the repair is rock solid. If the damage is on the outside, I first complete all the "inside panel" repairs to ensure the panel's rigidity. Depending on the degree of damage on the "outside" of the panel, you can use either Bondo or fiberglass with the slurry indicated in the videos below.

Also, I highly recommend you go to YouTube and Google "Windy Urtnowski - Fairing Repair". He'll show you everything you need to know and more about repairing motorcycle ABS panel.

Good Luck and let us know how things turn out.
thanks Suziblu for the tips, much appreciated

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks all for your tips, forgive my time away from the forum, this is the best place to be when you're in a jam
very much appreciated

1 - 10 of 10 Posts