Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Premium Member
2011 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Burgman 650A Executive. I am considering buying a top case and mount for it, but frankly do not want to invest $400-500 or more in it. What are you using and why would you suggest it? I am looking for a 40L or greater. Looked at Shad and Givi but before I jump, wanted to check with you guys and gals.

· Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
2,792 Posts
Since it is a PRE-2013 model you already have the rear top panel (handle cover) that is needed. If you have the back rest you also already have the holes in that cover for the top case bracket. If you don't have the back rest then the location for those holes is marked on the bottom side of the cover with a cross hair mark.

In either case I would suggest the Suzuki official rear mounting plate for the 2013 models... which will fit perfectly on the earlier versions since the mounting spacer and bolt pattern is the same. The Suzuki plate is aluminum and is designed for the Givi or Kappa Monokey cases. It is also less cost than the Givi mounting brackets and plates since you would have to buy both a bracket and a plate whereas the Suzuki item is just the plate that does what both the bracket and plate from Givi does.

Then for a case I would suggest picking a Kappa Monokey case. Made by Givi but costing less for the same volume as the Givi cases. These can be bought for a really reasonable price if you don't mind ordering from overseas.

Rear plate and mounting hardware (get both items on this page): 2013 Suzuki AN650L3 Stopper Set Rear Box Plate (Optional) | CyclePartsNation Suzuki Parts Nation
Kappa K49N top case (47 Liters): Kappa Top Box Monokey System K49

I go to the Kappamoto.com web site to see what model I would want.
Then I do a Google search for that Kappa top case and then select the Google Shopping link to see where it is the best price.
Using the above links I calculate the total price could come out to around $340-$350 shipped at the time of this post.

On my Burgman 650 I installed this setup but the top case was the Suzuki branded top case... which is the very same as the Kappa K49N case with the Suzuki logo on it. I bought from a member here a few years ago and posted about the install in a thread on this forum.
Installing the official Suzuki top case and mounting...

Another option I've used is to go with a Bestem top case but that would require you design and make your own bracket and mounting plate for the Bestem plate to bolt to. That cost would be slightly less after adding in supplies for the mounting and also would bring in a lot of extra work in addition to what is needed for the Suzuki/Kappa set up above.

· Registered
99 Posts
Well although I am in the UK I just purchased brand new, the Givi Maxia Monokey V56 4nn + the rack and fitting kit for equivalent $356 for my 2016 so premium kit well inside your budget.
I think ( could be wrong ) that you don’t even need the fitting kit pre 13 so would be even cheaper

· Registered
574 Posts
Other option would be to fit the mounting plate then keep an eye open for a second hand topbox. Here in UK there is always a good selection of s/hand stuff ranging from £10 upwards. If you don't mind doing a little restoration work / spaypaint you can usually pick one up cheap. Do some research on the monokey and monolock as they are different mounting plates.
I went monokey on my 2009 and bought a V47 box. It was expensive at £170 but was worth it, nice bit of kit.
My other Burgmans in Spain I have just bought bits from the Bay and second hand stuff.
If you are not too bothered about a box and just need some extra space you can't go wrong with a set of Givi Voyager throwovers. Usually pick them up s/hand for about £30. Not sure if they make them anymore.
Something like this.

Other colours are available,lol.

Do a search for Givi monokey topbox on the Bay and you'll see many types available, you can then decide on which one suits you best and look round for the best price or nearest to you. Always plenty for sale on this side of the pond.

As RJS said if you go for Givi you will need this kit.

and then the case holder

but this looks like a good deal as it appears you get both together

· Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since it is a PRE-2013 model you already have the rear top panel (handle cover) that is needed. If you have the back rest you also already have the holes in that cover for the top case bracket. If you don't have the back rest then the location for those holes is marked on the bottom side of the cover with a cross hair mark.

In either case I would suggest the Suzuki official rear mounting plate for the 2013 models... which will fit perfectly on the earlier versions since the mounting spacer and bolt pattern is the same. The Suzuki plate is aluminum and is designed for the Givi or Kappa Monokey cases. It is also less cost than the Givi mounting brackets and plates since you would have to buy both a bracket and a plate whereas the Suzuki item is just the plate that does what both the bracket and plate from Givi does.

Then for a case I would suggest picking a Kappa Monokey case. Made by Givi but costing less for the same volume as the Givi cases. These can be bought for a really reasonable price if you don't mind ordering from overseas.

Rear plate and mounting hardware (get both items on this page): 2013 Suzuki AN650L3 Stopper Set Rear Box Plate (Optional) | CyclePartsNation Suzuki Parts Nation
Kappa K49N top case (47 Liters): Kappa Top Box Monokey System K49

I go to the Kappamoto.com web site to see what model I would want.
Then I do a Google search for that Kappa top case and then select the Google Shopping link to see where it is the best price.
Using the above links I calculate the total price could come out to around $340-$350 shipped at the time of this post.

On my Burgman 650 I installed this setup but the top case was the Suzuki branded top case... which is the very same as the Kappa K49N case with the Suzuki logo on it. I bought from a member here a few years ago and posted about the install in a thread on this forum.
Installing the official Suzuki top case and mounting...

Another option I've used is to go with a Bestem top case but that would require you design and make your own bracket and mounting plate for the Bestem plate to bolt to. That cost would be slightly less after adding in supplies for the mounting and also would bring in a lot of extra work in addition to what is needed for the Suzuki/Kappa set up above.
Thank you so much for your post. Very comprehensive and helpful. I am very glad to hear that that because I have the passenger back rest, the holes are already there.

· Administrator
16,968 Posts
Thank you so much for your post. Very comprehensive and helpful. I am very glad to hear that that because I have the passenger back rest, the holes are already there.
There you go, all set.

I'd do the Suzuki plate and not the two piece GIVI plates. Cleaner install and you can use the plate as a flat cargo rack if needed.
The GIVI kit mounts the top box about 1 1/2 inches higher.

And if you will never go back to a passenger backrest, sell it on here for some good change to recoup some moneys of the top box.

• Helpful
Reactions: rjs987

· Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you to everyone. I am still a little confused (maybe my newbie state at 76). Evidently I need the Suzuki plate, but really not sure which plate, even though Bob was most helpful. It looks like I need just the plate set, rear box. I have the passenger backrest, (in great shape, with body silver). Could someone confirm that. Do I also need the stopper set, rear plate.

Also, does the Suzuki plate work with a Shad top case?

· Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The backrest for passengers will be available.

Reactions: Dave_J

· Administrator
16,968 Posts
That link Bob gave, you'd need both pieces.
The #1 is a three part that has 2 bobbins and the Monokey latch pin.
The #2 is the flat plate the parts from #1 bolt onto.

· Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, Dave_J. I really appreciate the clarity. The more I looked at it, the more I thought I would need both. Being a newbie is not always easy. Up until this year, I had not rode a cycle or scooter for many, many years. I love my Burgman 650 Exec.however.

A friend told me upon buying my burgman that this forum is a MUST. I agree. Very helpful in just a week..

Reactions: SemBurg and Dave_J

· Administrator
16,968 Posts
Font Parallel Auto part Elbow Rectangle

• Helpful
Reactions: rjs987 and SemBurg

· Premium Member
813 Posts
Thanks, Dave_J. I really appreciate the clarity. The more I looked at it, the more I thought I would need both. Being a newbie is not always easy. Up until this year, I had not rode a cycle or scooter for many, many years. I love my Burgman 650 Exec.however.

A friend told me upon buying my burgman that this forum is a MUST. I agree. Very helpful in just a week..
I agree Paul, I love this place. A great bunch of helpful men here.

· Registered
2,792 Posts
Thank you to everyone. I am still a little confused (maybe my newbie state at 76). Evidently I need the Suzuki plate, but really not sure which plate, even though Bob was most helpful. It looks like I need just the plate set, rear box. I have the passenger backrest, (in great shape, with body silver). Could someone confirm that. Do I also need the stopper set, rear plate.

Also, does the Suzuki plate work with a Shad top case?
As Dave mentioned you will need both items on that SuzukiPartsNation link I provided. There are only 2 items on that page.

This plate/mount does not work with Shad top cases. Shad has their own adapter and plate to go with their cases.

Just FYI, I did install the Givi adapter and plate and mounted a Givi E52 top case on my first Burgman 650 (a 2005 model). On my 2013 Burgman 650 I installed the Suzuki plate and hardware with a Kappa case. So I did this on each of my Burgman 650 scooters. I also installed the Bestem top case on my ST1100 some time between those two Burgman scooters but I had to make my own plate and mounting adapter. On my AK 550 I added just the Givi adapter and aluminum plate but don't have a top case. I just use the plate as a flat luggage rack/plate until I decide otherwise.

· Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not sure, as yet, what I will do and what direction I will go. I have even looked at adding hard or soft side bags. I had a top case on my 150cc scooter, but I'm not fond of the look of a tall top case. I have a Kemimoto expandable top case that I used with the 150cc. I really am thinking of going to some soft side bags when I need them and my expandable case, when I need it as well.

This discussion has actually helped a lot. I think I will buy the Suzuki plate giving me something to hold stuff onto. Will probably sell my back rest, which is in incredible condition. Will put it up for sale on this site. Anyone know what it is worth?

· Registered
2,792 Posts
Can't help on current value of the back rest.

But if you are thinking of HARD side cases then you should go with the Givi adapter and plate. The Suzuki official plate/mount does not come with the feature of adding the adapter to mount hard side cases. Don't know if that will apply to soft side bags or not so YMMV.

Just something more to think about.

· Registered
69 Posts
Was looking at 'coocase' when I was looking for stuff for my busa. Their not bad and they do add some additional features.. More things that can go wrong, I know. 😄 Twisted Throttle sells their stuff in US. You can check out their website here. Their prices are typically less then equivalent givi. Like the remote.. 😄
coo case

· Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2011 Burgman 650A Executive. I am considering buying a top case and mount for it, but frankly do not want to invest $400-500 or more in it. What are you using and why would you suggest it? I am looking for a 40L or greater. Looked at Shad and Givi but before I jump, wanted to check with you guys and gals.
You’ll have to get the factory rack in this instance- I got mine for $89 on eBay. Company called mutazu in CA has a trunk that looks like it was a Suzuki factory option. I have them on 2 out of 4 of my Burgmans. The shipped price was $85 for the black one and $150 for the white one. Two different vendors . Good luck.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts