Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent most of my summer reading books about riding. It doesn't take long to read all the books about scooter riding, subsequently, most were about motorcycling. I enjoy riding and reading about those who do and I read some books that are probably a bit obscure.

I thought about it and decided to write reviews of the books I had read. I thought it might be a way to introduce some of my fellow riders to a few book they may not otherwise have read.

I am trying to add a new review weekly or so. Currently I have 7 posted. If you have been looking for something new a maybe a bit different, feel free to read through my reviews. I hope you enjoy them.

Here is the link to the first review:
http://inthedesertscootin.blogspot.com/2013/07/trying-it-again-with-review.html

Enjoy,

Howard

·
Registered
515 Posts
Nice job Howardr !

My wife and i are big readers , and i am always on the lookout for any books related to motorcycles and now scooters .
We used to own a couple of used book stores and i grabbed anything that came in the door for my collection on the subject :D

How did we end up owning more than one book store , you may wonder. :confused:

Well being the smart business man i am , I figured out that i was not losing money fast enough with one store , so i opened a second :rolleyes:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Man they are a great hobby but not much of a profitable business model.
Both of mine always made enough to cover expenses but left little room for an income.

I spent a lot of time going to book seller conventions and talking with other owners. The few that would talk about their business were always hesitant to disclose much anyway.
My take on the successfull ones is that they either had some outside source of an income, were tied in to the "Antiquarian Book" market ( a very small tight group) or were very large and diversified in what they stocked. All of them were tied to the internet and fiercely competitive with each other on prices.

We have a good store in the area here, but I don't think he really makes much out of the place.

When SWMBO and i travel , we always seek out the used book shops.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Actually Howard's review of on book made me want to read it. I came away with a slightly different impression. Well I enjoyed "The Ghost of Scootertrash Past", I also thought it was slow in parts. To slow for me actually. My review is here. I have included a link to Howard's review for you to compare. :)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Gotta love your motivation for that second store. :D

We've got a book store here in my town. For every book and magazine seen leaving the store with customers there are probably 10 cups of espresso leaving with customers. I used to be a voracious reader - often consuming 3 or more books in a week. Gotta love the public library. I've slowed down a lot of late and probably read two/three per month on a Kindle. I like Tom Clancy types of books - adventure and spy stuff - science fiction and the occasional non-fiction. I leave the political stuff to others. The only bike rider book I can remember reading is Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - more of a navel-gazing read than a riding book.

·
Registered
345 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,585 Posts
bought my shop manual for the 2013 650 today, that should be some good reading for a while :D

·
Registered
345 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts