Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
I have been lurking here for a while for an obvious reason, I am thinking of getting a Burgman. First off thanks for all the info everyone has spelled out on the site its great.
I need some opinions from all of you experienced riders.
Do I want a 650 or 400? I can’t decide. Primary use will be to and from work, which is short round trip ride in stop and go traffic, the 400 probably has enough go power for that. But, weekends it would be nice to take the wife on cruises through the countryside and I am sure the 650 would be better for that.
I am 6’1” and 230#, how is the seating position for taller riders?
And combined weight of myself and my Wife would be around 360# do you think I would be pushing the boundaries of a comfortable ride on a 650?
New or used?
I do have my eyes on a left over 2012 650 at local dealer, but it would push the limits of buying power.
Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I think either would work. My first question is are you new to motorcycles or scooters? If so a 400 is lighter & easier to push around when engine is off. As far as seating goes I'm 6' & I found no problem with my 400 or 650 for leg room. You do need to sit on both & test ride both if you can. Both my 07 400 & my 09 650 I bought were used. 400 from a private party & 650 from a dealer.
Like you before I bought my 400 I checked out this form & found all kinds of great info. I hadn't ridden for 25 years before I bought mine.
Good luck on your search & welcome to the forum. :thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Desert Rat.
I have been riding most of my life.
Mostly Off road when I was young ( I am 50 now).
I have ridden dirt bikes, cruisers, sport bikes and a couple of years ago I rode a Helix (250cc I think) that piqued my interest in a scooter.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
If it only stop and go traffic and single rider the 400 do the job, but be much better serve with 650 for week end cruise or trip, wife also find 650 more confortable overall, at 6'1'' / 230 lb you probably find 650 more confortable also.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
For all practical purposes, unmodified, the seating room on the 400 and the 650 are much the same. If you can fit comfortably on one you can fit comfortably on the other. The primary differences between the two are the extra weight of the 650 and the extra height of the seat which make it harder to push around and harder to reach the ground for shorter legged riders. If you are not experienced at riding two people you may also find it easier to handle the extra weight of a passenger on the 400 than on the 650.

From a performance standpoint, both can handle everyday situations for both in town and highway riding. The 650 will have a performance advantage when riding two up especially in hilly terrain or into heavy wind. You will also notice the extra power of the 650 when you pull out to pass a slower vehicle on a two lane road.

From a weight carrying standpoint both are rated about equally. The 650 will carry the weight better but the GVWR on both says they can carry about the same weight.

My suggestion is to find an example of both and sit on them. Also have your wife sit on them and see how she feels. If you can find ones you can test ride do that and again take your wife along if you can. She might feel different riding on them than she does just sitting on them and you can get a feeling for how well you can handle her weight on the back. Buy the one you are most comfortable on and the one you find the most satisfying.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I've not much to add to the excellent advice already given, except...

I have a slight preference overall for the 400. It's a better value and general purpose bike. Its Not great any anything, except being really, really good at most everything. There in lies its beauty.

However, If you plan on doing anything more than an occasional amount of two up riding and or a fair amount of highway touring, you should get the 650. The power difference is very comforting two-up. You can feel someone in the back of the 400. I can hardly notice it on the 650. And freeway riding is just a breeze.

ALWAYS buy used. Too much depreciation just riding out the dealers door. Very few exceptions to that rule in my book. Brand new model is one and truly exceptional deal is the other.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Are you an experienced rider? I've owned both and prefer the 650, it does seem to have a bit more leg room to stretch out. I sold the 400 after one year and currently have no desire to sell my 650 after two years. I've been riding since 1964 and have found the 650 to be more like a motorcycle than a scooter and that it fulfills its role as an all around ride. If you want a scooter get the 400, it's a great scooter.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I've had both and don't prefer one over the other. When I was looking, I looked for a Burgman that was the best bike at the best price. One happened to be a 400 and the other happened to be a 650. I'm short and the 400 fit me better so I suspect the 650 may fit you better. I would simply look for a good used Burgman and get the best one you can find at the best price. You live where it is flat so either one will have more than enough power whether or not you have a passenger.

·
Registered
735 Posts
My GF owns a 400 and I own my 650. That's the ideal world if you can have it, the sweet 400 for city errands and the wonderful 650 for effortless cruising.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Beware: Mission creep.

I'd never ridden a motorcycle in my life, when - in my early 50s, after scooting around on my cousin's Zuma at the Jersey Shore, I thought it would be fun to have a scooter back home. I bought a used Honda Elite 80. Within two months I bought a Burgman 400 and the wife took the Honda. Then discovered wife liked - no loved - riding pillion, and we went on our first overnight 'tour.' A few months later I added a 650 to the stable to take us on our annual 2000 mile scoot-abouts.

The wife is now on her third (don't ask) Vespa and I'm riding on my 2nd 400 & 650.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am also 50 years old. I went from riding a 1997 Honda Valkyrie which was becoming a hassle riding around on short trips. I sold it and went without a bike for 3 months. got the itch shortly after Then I discovered the Burgman. and bought a new 650 exec for $7200 last year and I love it . It is just so agile around town. has good power when you want it . and goes like its on rails on the highway. ride them both or at least sit on them both I think you would love either one.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hello Everyone,
I have been lurking here for a while for an obvious reason, I am thinking of getting a Burgman. First off thanks for all the info everyone has spelled out on the site its great.
I need some opinions from all of you experienced riders.
Do I want a 650 or 400? I can’t decide. Primary use will be to and from work, which is short round trip ride in stop and go traffic, the 400 probably has enough go power for that. But, weekends it would be nice to take the wife on cruises through the countryside and I am sure the 650 would be better for that.
I am 6’1” and 230#, how is the seating position for taller riders?
And combined weight of myself and my Wife would be around 360# do you think I would be pushing the boundaries of a comfortable ride on a 650?
New or used?
I do have my eyes on a left over 2012 650 at local dealer, but it would push the limits of buying power.
Thanks for any help.

I feel lucky..........I've got both, and I just pull out which ever one I feel like riding on the day!

Aint life great !!!! :D:D:D

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I feel lucky..........I've got both, and I just pull out which ever one I feel like riding on the day!

Aint life great !!!! :D:D:D
+1. I love having my two favorite bikes in the world at my disposal.

Btw Davej, your white 400 looks REALLY sharp, especially with the case. They all do, but that color matched case is nice. What saddle bags are those? They look good as well.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Get the one that fits you best and will do the job for you. It's your first scooter, you can change later. My first Burgman was a 650, then I got an 07 Burgman 400. After a few years of riding the 400, I got a good deal on a 650 and I ride both alternately on different days. Good luck and I would suggest used.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Thanks for any help.
Looks like there are many options for used Burgmans in your area. Why not buy a gently used one. That would be one without scrapes and broken panels that can get expensive. I don't know what they actually go for in your area - I paid $5000 for a consigned 08 with just under 4k on the odometer almost 2 years ago. Not a scratch on it.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/search/?sort=rel&areaID=37&subAreaID=&query=burgman&catAbb=sss

I would not hesitate to buy another 650. My 400 Majesty is about the same for power as the 400 Burgman. I hardly ever ride it. I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam and don't find the 650 at all hard to mount move or put my feet down. I keep reading how hard the 650 is to move when its not running - I don't find it a problem but then the last bile I owned was heavier - a full dress Harley Electra Glide. Either one of my scooters are sooooo much more practical. But then nobody ever bought a Harley for practicality as the reason.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'm with the "used" crowd. Even though I love my 400, I still check out Craigslist locally and in the surrounding areas (within 200 or so miles).

For the price of the best deal on a new 650, I could buy both 400 and 650 used (within the 200 mile radius). That would seem to be the way to go.....and go....and go.

·
Registered
240 Posts
+1. I love having my two favorite bikes in the world at my disposal.

Btw Davej, your white 400 looks REALLY sharp, especially with the case. They all do, but that color matched case is nice. What saddle bags are those? They look good as well.
Cheers Liamjs......I'd never owned a white bike before, and here in UK only black and white are available, so I thought I'd 'have a change'.

The soft throw over bags are Oxford, (don't know if they trade where you live?)

They cost almost £100 new in UK, .......I paid £25 off a riding buddy !!!:D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Plagsage, at 68 I consider my 650 Burgman my toy, I still got a dirt bike for the serious stuff, remember you are never to young to ride, you just have to ride within your limits. I would rather have the 650, but from what I read about the 400 it is a very nice ride. I remember when I was in my 50's, that was a long time ago. ;)

John

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the help.
I am still looking and hoping to buy in the next several weeks.
One thing that bothers me is that the craigslist ads I have been watching suggest that resale is very slow. Many of them look like good prices, but they stay on craigsllist for months at a time.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts