Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I am looking at the piaggio m3 400 and 500 as a second scooter. Has any one got any feed back on these?. WHY these ,well I am not getting any younger, and being fundamentally lazy :p the idea of not having to put my feet down when stopping and having extra grip with 2 front tires sounds good .And NO to a can am spider to big and ugly (sorry to any one who owns one on this site )

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
My riding buddy has one and loves it. He got into scootering later in life and his wife didn't like the idea of two wheels. The mp3 was the perfect compromise for him. He hangs with us two wheelers just fine. I'm amazed at the cornering of the thing, no problem with the twisties. He's got the 400 and does freeway okay, 85 I believe. Pleanty fast enough. He just cautions to make sure you're upright at stops because it will lock at an angle.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Hehe you do like your toys....can I relieve you of the CB500x in exchange for a lovely ST1100 ? :D ...and some cash of course.

We had a rider in the club in her 70s with one but she lost control in gravel and ended up on her back in a ditch.
No harm done - wet grassy ditch.
The are quick - no problem keeping up - they sure look weird in a corner.
Not sure of the longevity with that rube goldberg front end.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi MacDoc
The cb500x has been traded (plus cash ) for a Kawasaki drifter 1500 for wife doing an Indian theme
cb500x is Good bike but its no vstrom 650 which is still a better bike
My self and the wife get into these bike discussions about the merits of an individual bike ,we then research the model and some how convince are selves that we need one in are lives (no prompting from me naturally :) ) so the word go's out to all my trade contacts and voila one appears .WE then fight over who is going to ride it until the next hair brain idea of what bike we should own appears
This might sound like biker heaven but in realty it is not as I have never owned a bike longer than 1 year and not every bike is sold for a profit
My wife has become worse than me she likes the idea of starting her own bike collection
at this rate I will be living off bake beans and 3 minute noodle's for a long time

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
You can do it in Aus - flipping bikes in Ontario is a nightmare.
13% sales tax evey time it's sold and then insurance is way higher than here.

What did the CB500x sell for if you don't mind my asking.

Nice to have SigO onside...mine is "tolerant" and on my part I wear more gear as a result of her operating room tales of washing gravel out. ;)

I would bet there is a deal to be had on the Piaggio - reselling might be a challenge.

Please circulate my ST amongst "the circle...."

I'd be willing to drive it down to Brisbane - fresh rego and RWC, only 82k on the clock, new battery and a nice dinner out for you and your wife on me if it sells. I'm willing to be realistic on it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No problem will see what I can do for you on the st1100 as for the cb500x $7500 sold it to a friend had Yoshi pipe and top box

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry did not ask how much and is it advertised any where. Got any pics
my friend who bought the cb500x owns a bike shop on the gold coast he always has a st1100 for sale and seems to get good money for them

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I rode an MP3 500 all over Maui (including the road to Hana) a couple of years ago. It was a lot of fun, but I knew it could never replace either of my Burgmans. My two biggest complaints were lack of storage and a limited riding position. I'm only 5'8" and I felt a bit cramped and couldn't change my seating/leg position much.

Handling was really good, and the engine was fine. I didn't find the 'feet up at stops' feature particularly useful - mainly because I welcomed any opportunity to stretch my legs out. But, as I said, it was memorably fun. Definitely take a long test ride before you buy.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Sorry did not ask how much and is it advertised any where. Got any pics
my friend who bought the cb500x owns a bike shop on the gold coast he always has a st1100 for sale and seems to get good money for them
I paid $4200 last year with 77,000 on it and 6 months Rego and RWC.

Honda dealer said $3400-3700 on trade.
Ozstoc said about the same up to $4k due to low mileage.

I advertised it on Gumtree but as a trade or negotiable.

Put fresh battery in last week, new rotors last year.
Has RWC current for two months.
Serviced by Bits and Bikes in Cairns.
Not an ex police bike
Put small risers on but have the cowling so they can be put back to stock.
Also the nice adjustable brake and clutch levers.
Two windscreens and some other extra bits.
Sheepskin seat.

I've had some bites here but I think the issue is not enough tourers in this part of the country. One guy is waiting to sell his 250 Ninja.

They are sweet rides.
If he's got a Burgman 650 to swap for I'm in but because I'm away from Aus for 15 months this time I'd rather sell.

Have more pics if required and can take more.

Always inside or under the cover. Help GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi all
I am looking at the piaggio m3 400 and 500 as a second scooter. Has any one got any feed back on these?. WHY these ,well I am not getting any younger,
Have ridden both and have a friend who has a 400. Power is good, handles like it's on rails. I personally like the looks of the 400 better than the 500. Mechanical stuff seems very solid, engine is pretty bullet-proof. Storage is so-so, wind protection so-so. First thing she did was put on a Givi windscreen and top box. Never has had any issues with the complex front-end, but the thing seems to go through back tires pretty quickly.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your comments will take one for a long ride and see how it stacks up .I cant compare it to the burgman as it would lose, but as a second scooter it looks good, and its different

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bits and Bikes

I paid $4200 last year with 77,000 on it and 6 months Rego and RWC.

Honda dealer said $3400-3700 on trade.
Ozstoc said about the same up to $4k due to low mileage.

I advertised it on Gumtree but as a trade or negotiable.

Put fresh battery in last week, new rotors last year.
Has RWC current for two months.
Serviced by Bits and Bikes in Cairns.
Not an ex police bike
Put small risers on but have the cowling so they can be put back to stock.
Also the nice adjustable brake and clutch levers.
Two windscreens and some other extra bits.
Sheepskin seat.

I've had some bites here but I think the issue is not enough tourers in this part of the country. One guy is waiting to sell his 250 Ninja.

They are sweet rides.
If he's got a Burgman 650 to swap for I'm in but because I'm away from Aus for 15 months this time I'd rather sell.

Have more pics if required and can take more.

Always inside or under the cover. Help GREATLY appreciated.
Hi MacDoc, forgive me for butting in, Bikersmurf won't mind but does Wayne Leonard still own Bits & Bikes, I used to ride enduro's with him about 25 years ago when he was a lowly salesman with Cairns Suzuki ?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Anyone interested in the Piaggio 3 wheelers needs to check out Randy Grubbs Decopods on Randy's site or on Jay Leno's Garage. I think Bikersmurf's clown nosed face grinning out of one of these would be perfect!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Hi MacDoc, forgive me for butting in, Bikersmurf won't mind but does Wayne Leonard still own Bits & Bikes,
no problem.

Wayne Leonard has his own shop.
http://readytorace.com.au/wayneleonard/

Dean Arbouin owns Bits and Bikes.

Talked to the Honda dealer today - was hoping to sit on the CB500x but he said the last one sold earlier today.

It's $8450 yet there was an NC700 there at $6950 - almost no mileage - dentist bought it and did not like it.

Yet they sell out on the CB500x ....hmmmmm ;)

·
Registered
739 Posts
I had a PIaggio MP3 500.. for 3 years.. put a bit over 6,000 miles on it..
Loved it.. I miss the ability to wheel it around when it's turned off without worrying about it toppling over and to park it easily..
Stopping without putting down your feet takes a ton of practice.. You can't lock it until you are under about 2 MPH.. a little light on the dash blinks when you can lock it and there is a tendency to look at that instead of where you are going so rear ending a car in front of you becomes a possibility..
I had no issues at all.. except lack of dealers.. I traded mine when my dealer went under and it was a long way to the new dealer.. there was an issue with the bike stalling at low RPM's (think turning left across traffic and it stalls.. yikes !) and there was a CPU update to solve that.. I took it to the new dealer for service which was done.. (new rear tire, new belt,oil, etc..) I asked about the CPU update and they informed me that even though they were a Piaggio dealer, they did not have the computer tools necessary for the CPU updates , but that they were hoping to get them within a year (???) That was it for me.. I traded it.. but I did love it.. No new 500's in the USA since 2009.. they have a new Yourban, but despite it being advertised, I am not aware that it is being sold in the USA..

It was OK at highway speeds.. I was never really comfortable though.. My Burgman is much much better so don't expect the same experience.. The single cylinder thumper has a lot of vibration at low RPM.. I never felt any issues with storage. I had a top box though and had added a windshield.. There was not a ton of after market stuff available .. the Burgman has a lot.. so that was a small issue too.. Would I get another one.. yes.. but the dealer , for me at least, would remain an issue..

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Smurff, cut the middleman -- go straight to 4D! :D

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
QUADRO WHAT A FANTASTIC BIKE-SCOOTER I ONLY WISH THEY HAD THEM HERE IN AUSTRALIA I WOULD HAVE ONE IN MY GARADGE sorry had caps lock on

·
Registered
739 Posts
Can Am Spyder has practically nothing in common with an MP3 except two wheels in front.. but they don't lean...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts