Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
looking to buy a 400 .It is a import from England then to new Zealand and now has ended up in Australia .Its done 7000miles ( i told the dealer the bike has done more than that in all that shipping as a joke)
I have ridden it and have found
1 the clutch dose not engage until 3000rpm is this normal
2 It seem a bit more nosier than my 650 when accelerating,its like it has a rattle under acceleration if i did not know better it sounds like the valves need adjusting or is this normal?
3 It has a full service history the funny thing is its in three country's first service England second New Zealand and now the dealer is going to serviced it in Australia
4 He is asking $5000 au its a 2009 he is also a long time friend so $4000 is more my price
Having never ridden a 400 i was surprised buy the speed it can reach quit quickly and being some 50kg lighter ,but having all the luxuries of its big brother
Any thing else you can think of to look out for is apricatied

burgman 400.jpg

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Sounds like a pretty normal 400. It is a bit louder than a 650, but than again, what isn't? The rattle thing would have me most concerned. Should not have a rattle per se, but it is a thumper. It's got a nice grunt to it.

Coming off the 650, it'll seem a bit toyish, but I assure you its not. Its good to throw around a curve, but it will scrape at the least bit of input. Fun bike to ride!

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
1. Yes 3000 rpm is about right for clutch engagement.
2. Yes the 400 has the "Wookie" growl when accelerating.
3. I would assume maintenance is the same internationally. lol
4. $4000 sounds better and more inline.

I personally would not have the 650 simply because of it's weight and ergonomics. It just doesn't work for me at all but everyone is different and to each their own.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Yes agree with what the blokes are saying. The rattle is normal along with the extra noise you may hear over the 650. The rattle I think you are referring to is caused by the variator weights. Someone on here described the noise like a box with some marbles in it rolling around. That's about right and it should sound like that. It's louder under heavy acceleration and can occasionally be heard at cruise if you wind on the throttle a bit more. All normal. Just make sure the rear transmission oil, along with the other service scheduled items, has been changed at this service as it's due. Some times this gets overlooked by dealers who are not accustomed to the Burgman 400. Good luck!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Hi all
looking to buy a 400 .It is a import from England then to new Zealand and now has ended up in Australia .Its done 7000miles ( i told the dealer the bike has done more than that in all that shipping as a joke)
I have ridden it and have found
1 the clutch dose not engage until 3000rpm is this normal
Yes...mine seems to engage around 4000-4500RPM.

2 It seem a bit more nosier than my 650 when accelerating,its like it has a rattle under acceleration if i did not know better it sounds like the valves need adjusting or is this normal?
Might your top box be rattling? (My Helix did that...took me a while to figure it out.)

3 It has a full service history the funny thing is its in three country's first service England second New Zealand and now the dealer is going to serviced it in Australia
4 He is asking $5000 au its a 2009 he is also a long time friend so $4000 is more my price
Having never ridden a 400 i was surprised buy the speed it can reach quit quickly and being some 50kg lighter ,but having all the luxuries of its big brother
Any thing else you can think of to look out for is appreciated

View attachment 29554
How are the tires? The back might be about done at 7K miles. (If it is NOT a 150/70-13 Bridgeston Hoop, it has been replaced.) After 5 years, it probably needs the brake fluid and coolant changed, if it hasn't been done yet. If so...make the guy replace it before you buy. :)

If possible, you DO want the tire valves replaced with 90-degree valves! Whoever designed the OE setup was smoking something, and it was NOT Marlboro Lights! :violent1:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts