Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to go and look at a '08 400 that has been setting for about 1 1/2 yrs. I think that the price is right for the bike, the condition is suppose to be good other than it has been setting. I have just sold the goldwing that I had for 6 yrs and did all of the work on it myself. I am asking if think that it will be had to get running or should i skip this one an look at one that is running at the present time.

·
Registered
689 Posts
You don't mention the mileage or the all-important variable, price. There's no reason why a bike that has been sitting for 1.5 years should pose a problem if you do a little maintenance on it first.

·
Registered
689 Posts
That seems like a good price for such a low mileage bike, but a lot will depend on condition. It didn't need much maintenance during those 6,000 miles, but it would need a thorough going-over and it seems that you have the mechanical skills to do that, especially armed with the YouTubes by micbergsma on the Burgman 400. Also add in the cost of new tires and new fluids. Definitely worth a look.

·
Registered
91 Posts
No one can answer that question, too many variables. Go look and take your chances, or not. Not too much $$ upfront...

·
Administrator
18,401 Posts
One thing to be mindfull of is the 400 has a steel gas tank and bad gas has wrecked a few.

Reactions: Uncle Fester

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
If it isn't running it most likely is bad gas. Many many threads on older models sitting and sediment/crud building up in the tank and fuel system. If it starts up let it run for a while and check for hesitation and lack of power. That would be a good sign of contamination.

Reactions: s-steel

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been thinking over night and think that I will pass on the sitting one and go look at one that is running for $1000 more. I don't want to get into the gas tank and fuel pump. It might be a good buy, but I would like to get on it and ride right away. that is way I think that I want the one that is running and don't need any work.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I am going to go and look at a '08 400 that has been setting for about 1 1/2 yrs. I think that the price is right for the bike, the condition is suppose to be good other than it has been setting. I have just sold the goldwing that I had for 6 yrs and did all of the work on it myself. I am asking if think that it will be had to get running or should i skip this one an look at one that is running at the present time.
By your statement above, you say the scooter has been sitting for 1.5 years (this shouldn't be a big issue). However, it is unclear whether or not the scooter is running ... or is capable of running or not. I say it's worth a look unless the current owner cannot start it for you to listen to. If it cannot be started right now pre-sale, I would pass.

Reactions: dogboy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Like I said it has been sitting in his son's outdoor shed for the past 1.5 yrs and the battery is dead. He says that it was running good when he went and parked it before he got sick and has not been able to ride since. That is why I have made the decision to pass on this one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2016 Bergman less than 400 miles perfect
4500 firm

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I'd probably buy the cheaper one. But that's just me. (I had a 2005 Concours, which owners are notoriously CHEAP).
It would be a good project bike, but that's just me :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2016 beautiful Burgman 400 for sale
409 miles only
Black and silver

Perfect $4,500 firm

In Coatesville Pennsylvania

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Since you had a GoldWing get a B650 now and when you turn 70 get the B400.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sounds like a good possibility to me, esp if the seller lets you tinker with the bike. Feel the seller out, he may just want to get rid of it to free up space...

...as an aside I've noticed a lot of x-goldwing owners among us.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
689 Posts
...as an aside I've noticed a lot of x-goldwing owners among us.
This is, indeed, the case. At the annual (except this year) Scoot the Ozarks rally I run into many former Goldwing owners who switched to Burgmans when they aged beyond comfort with a big Goldwing. Some of them refer to their Burgman 650s and "Mini-Goldwings" and put thousands of miles (sometimes two-up) on them.

Reactions: 808
1 - 17 of 17 Posts